EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 11-01-2009, 08:14 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default windows 7

will profit ui run on windows 7, is windows 7 being 64bit matter?
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:57 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordumor View Post
Yes, and no it doesn't matter 64 bit or 32 bit.
Unread 11-02-2009, 05:27 AM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen

I wouldn't see why not. ProfitUI uses mainly .dds/.xml/.ini files which is and can be used, as far as I know, on all major operating systems (Mac, Windows, Linux). The only thing that might possibly be a problem would be the updater because of permissions, but Windows 7 eliminated pretty much all of the(se) issues that everyone hated Vista for.

That got me thinking though, if you can access those files on the other OS' than you could use ProfitUI if somehow you were able to get EQ2 working on them.
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:10 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
The only thing that might possibly be a problem would be the updater because of permissions, but Windows 7 eliminated pretty much all of the(se) issues that everyone hated Vista for.
Uhm, not exactly. Actually Win7 has the same restrictions on file access as Vista has. It is up to the software designers to implement these rules (they are actually recommended since Windows 2000 or something, but Vista started to enforce them).

Maybe it does not ask for permission at program installs, but that is because Microsoft lowered the UAC security level on standard installs. It is absolutely recommended to set it back up to maximum level.
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:14 AM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Uhm, not exactly. Actually Win7 has the same restrictions on file access as Vista has. It is up to the software designers to implement these rules (they are actually recommended since Windows 2000 or something, but Vista started to enforce them).

Maybe it does not ask for permission at program installs, but that is because Microsoft lowered the UAC security level on standard installs. It is absolutely recommended to set it back up to maximum level.
Well I love Windows 7 so far.
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:20 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Well, I'll never raise the UAC because all that protection is crap if you know how to run your system and keep it protected properly.

The biggest problem is having things installed in the default /Programs Folder/.
I'm sorry, but installing games to the Programs Folder just makes everything more annoying.
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:33 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Well, I'll never raise the UAC because all that protection is crap if you know how to run your system and keep it protected properly.
Thats correct for sure, but I do not count people asking how to disable UAC to people who know how to run their systems properly. So that is why I would never advise to disable UAC at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
The biggest problem is having things installed in the default /Programs Folder/.
I'm sorry, but installing games to the Programs Folder just makes everything more annoying.
Still that is a problem of the software developers. Programs should never store their settings in their own directories at all. But I agree, you avoid most problems by just not installing them to protected folders
Unread 11-04-2009, 02:52 AM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordumor View Post
I recently messed up my entire UI and could not be bothered redoing it all again, so I installed std Profit with no addons (Only EQ2Maps) on my Win 7 64bit with no problems detected at all..

So yes, it is working as it should