EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Updater braking over and over

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and am having some big problems with the updater. I have cleared the Java cache several times. I have uninstalled and reinstalled EQ2 maps and the Profit updater. I have changed DNS servers and I know I am using a good DNS now because my friend uses the same one and has no trouble. Java is fully up to date. Have also tried running it with only the default UI in place with no .ini files in the EQ2 directory. I am also running it in admin mode. Any help any one might have as to why I keep getting a Recv Fail error every time I try and run the updater would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by zenois : 07-22-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Unread 07-22-2008, 04:55 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Please post the exact error message and which program is showing it.
Unread 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
A Darkpaw Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Please post the exact error message and which program is showing it.
Hi Kaldran.. I've been working with him on this also. It is Java giving the error and the error is Recv Failed. Here's the screenshot he sent me:

He has:
  • Originally updated Java, it was out of date.
  • Uninstalled Java, Deleted the entire Sun folder under C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\, Deleted all traces of Java files, Cleared his browser cache. Restarted, then reinstalled Java from the latest version manual installer and restarted again.
  • Backed up and Deleted all of the custom UI folders under the main UI directory as well as Backed up and Deleted all of the .ini files in the main Everquest II directory.
  • Uninstalled both through the uninstaller and manually Profit UI updater several times, deleting the cache folder (only) for Java each time in the previously mentioned file path.
  • He was using his ISP's DNS servers, we changed those to OpenDNS.. which is what I use and have no problems with the updater besides the occasional error about banner width or something that doesn't seem to affect usage.
  • Uninstalled EQ2Maps and reinstalled it, which is probably irrelevant due to the previous 'Deleted all custom UIs' list item.
  • He is running it in Admin mode and even disabled UAC. I have also done this and am using Vista Ultimate 64-bit as well, so that has nothing to do with it as the Profit updater works fine for me.
  • He does have the maximum 1000 MBs of Java cache enabled, caching of temporary files is enabled.
  • He doesn't use Panda antivirus, as you (Kaldran) mentioned there was a problem with in one of your other posts. He does use antivirus, but it is the same as mine and configured the same way. I'm pretty sure he said that he uses just the Windows Firewall also.
  • There's probably more, I'll add it as I remember.

He has had some connection problems and breaks up, indicating packet loss, on ventrilo sometimes; however the connection always seems to be working fine when he is attempting to run the Profit updater.

Question to gm9: Would adding the -Xnosplash parameter to the shortcut affect the updater's functionality at all? We could try that and see if just bypassing the splash screen helps.

Last edited by shotokan : 07-22-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Unread 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM
A Griffon

Bypassing the splash screen won't have any negative effect, but I think it will fail on subsequent calls to its files though.
The only thing it gets for its splash screen is the icon at http://updater.pala.de/icon48.png
It is used for the splash screen and for the shortcuts. Java Webstart opens local connections to itself to retrieve these files once they are cached. Are you sure the firewall isn't blocking Webstart? Even on local loopback connections? Maybe try to disable it for testing.

You can also try to enable the Java console and see if it displays some more detailed error messages. You can enable it somewhere at System Control -> Programs -> Java.
Unread 07-22-2008, 04:33 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

With the console enabled he still gets the recv failed error but the console doesn't show. When he adds the -Xnosplash to the shortcut it runs fine, as well as the console shows and has no errors in it.

It's not the firewall, disabled that and tried. It's not his DNS, made sure he had OpenDNS again.

What exactly do you mean by subsequent calls to its files? Meaning that It won't update its cached version?
Unread 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM
A Darkpaw Brute

/bump
Unread 07-25-2008, 09:00 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

behave, no shameless bumping in my forums /bonk

I noticed no problem with the parameter, I deleted files from the cache and they were just downloaded again, so that would not be an issue. I'm not sure what Kaldran is referring to, I was waiting for his response as well.
Unread 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM
A Griffon

I was just thinking it might not be able to load its files at all if it can't load data for the splash screen. If it runs with splash screen disabled it's fine at all
Unread 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post

I was just thinking it might not be able to load its files at all if it can't load data for the splash screen. If it runs with splash screen disabled it's fine at all
Well i ran it the other day with the splash screen disabled on mine and it did show me a file update and allowed me to update it.

Any more ideas on what's really causing the issue?

Edit: I just can't seem to find any other posts or blogs anywhere stating that someone else is having this problem with the updater. It seems unique to him. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe I'll go do another search on the error in relation to just Java again and work with him more in that area. He says that sometimes now, with the splash screen enabled it will work.

Edit2: Seems like I may have been too quick to eliminate the firewall. The only other occurrences of the "Splash: recv failed" error that I can find deal with either Panda Antivirus (as Kaldran discovered), needing to update Java (which he has) and the Comodo firewall. I came across two posts with occurences of an unexplainable, bug evidently, in the Comodo firewall where people are getting this "Splash: recv failed" even when they are disabling the firewalll, putting the firewall in learning mode, etc. They have resolved this the same way by disabling the splash screen, yet some of them have solved it by uninstalling Comodo. It is evidently having a problem allowing Java Web Start to connect to the local host. I don't want anybody to think I'm bashing Comodo, because it's the best software firewall you can get... strange bugs do occur, even to the best of programmers.

I will get back to you on this and let you know, so that you can maybe add it to the 'possible error messages and possible solutions' page... I'd say it's safe to go ahead and add the Panda Antivirus as a cause; from my reading, there appears to be no work around in Panda Antivirus either.

Last edited by shotokan : 07-26-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Unread 07-26-2008, 06:41 PM
A Darkpaw Brute

Verified. It was Comodo. Even with Comodo disabled it continued to block the connection. Comodo was uninstalled and the updater works fine now. This is a bug in the Comodo code as well as Panda Antivirus code. These two security softwares evidently use some feature in common and the feature is always on, until the softwares are uninstalled.

Last edited by shotokan : 07-27-2008 at 12:36 PM.