EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 09-10-2008, 11:32 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Massive slowdown when switching applications + icon backgroun colors...

Hello there. Today was the first time I've used ProfitUI as a complete package. I have previously been using the Market/Broker UI in combination with the SOE default one.

Now, I'm sure I'll have many questions. My first being the following.

I play in Windowed mode. Now after installing Profit, when I move my mouse out of the EQ2 window and onto the windows taskbar to select another application, there's a huge delay. It's like EQ2 goes into snooze mode and the framerate drops down to 1fps. At first I thought I was getting a BSOD the system lagged so much. So my question is what is this, and how can I change/tweak it to my liking.

My second question is concerning the color, or gamma etc. of the background icons of any item in your bag, persona or bank slot etc. Is this a setting I can change? It used to be a nice darker blue for any attuned item, and green for any unattuned item. Now it's severlly washed out on my screen and I'd like to be able to either edit an XML file or something to make the icons look how they used it.
Unread 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

No idea on the first question, does not happen to me and first time I hear something like that, does not sound UI related either.

On the colors check the FAQ.
Unread 09-10-2008, 02:52 PM
A Griffon
Featured

I have something similar to this happen. It's like when the window looses focus it tries to run in "Less-system-hog" mode, but when the window's still up, it causes the whole screen to do it. From what I remember, I just make sure to actually minimize EQ2 first if I'm working in other applications.

Sometimes I get this when photoshop and eq2 are both open, and some other's. And sometimes it can happen by itself if I recall.

Just try minimizing applications when they're onscreen and not in use.
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thank you GM9 for your reply. I found the section in the FAQ and am making changes as I type this out. Awesome thank you.

As far as the slowdown goes, it's as Drumstix mentioned. I reminds me of when I used EQ1 and used EQPlayNice and WinEQ. Basically EQ2 goes into this mode where it runs at 1fps for maybe 5seconds, then goes back to normal speed.

Here's how I can make it reproduce everytime. Having EQ2 in Windowed mode, and I have open Windows Explorer. Then I move my mouse over the Windows Explorer icon on the taskbar, but I don't click it yet. So EQ2 is still visible. Now the system will stutter and lag out. The FPS will goto 1. Then after about 5 seconds or so, it will kick back in again. Then if I move my mouse back into the EQ2 window, then back over hovering the Windows Explorer one, it won't lag that time.

The only way I know this is related to ProfitUI, is because it doesn't do this with the SOE UI. I've had EQ2MAPS, and many over little odds and ends UI installed. But for Profit, I'm trying it out fresh with no other UIs interfering. My hard drive doesn't splutter or do anything, it's just the framerate drops to 1 FPS.

This is exactly what EQPlayNice did. When the window loses focus, it drops the framerate down to try and save system resources.
Unread 09-10-2008, 07:48 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Maybe it's automated to do this when there's a bigger resource loaded in the game, such as a more extensive UI?

Or maybe there's certain elements that seem to lag the UI when not in focus and the devs don't know about it? hehe no clue.
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I think you guys just forgot to feed the hamster.

But if you really think you can trace it to ProfitUI in your specific case I can only recommend to use a different UI as I cannot address (or reproduce) this issue.
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
A Griffon
Featured

All I know is it's not "profitUI specific" because I get the same thing.
Unread 09-11-2008, 03:13 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

How much RAM do you have installed? And what kind of graphics card?
My EQ2 does not go down with frame rate when I switch applications. I am not much into that, but it could be DirectX swapping around textures on low-memory situations.
A while ago I had some problems where EQ2 went down to 1 FPS when the game screen got overlayed with something else, like a popup from a messenger when someone got online. I still think it was related to the mainboards chipset, never had it again once i switched it.

Last edited by Kaldran : 09-11-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Unread 09-11-2008, 03:21 AM
A Griffon
Featured

It's not really a matter of FPS overall, it's more of how the eq2 application acts in the situation.
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

I still think it is something with the graphics driver or the internal bus systems. Maybe just happens with Profit cause it is not quite .. lightweight :P
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Maybe just happens with Profit cause it is not quite .. lightweight :P
Hey you think I put on too much weight? Besides, Drum said that it also happens with other UIs.
Unread 09-12-2008, 03:47 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I removed ProfitUI, deleted my .ini files and did a full filescan. EQ2 is running very quickly. The system slowdown issues I experienced when switching applications have gone. Now it's smooth. What a shame as there were wonderful things in Profit I found very useful.

I'm still going to try and see if I can at least use a few things from Profit, or I'll have to learn how to use UIBuilder.