EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:08 PM
A Griffawn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Oasis
Default Upcoming changes to the UI

I just listened to an interview with Alan Crosby who stated that there were some major changes to the UI coming up. Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about? He talks about streamlining the interface, but no details.
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

well I sure hope its not anything like lua. I tried warhammer for a whole week and ditched it based on the crap UI's found for it and the fact it used lua. Dark Ages of Camelot also used this and if you think working with XML is hard this LUA is got to be the crappiest thing I've seen especially when a lot of hacks were done to warhammer using that scripting system
Unread 06-22-2009, 08:35 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Nagafen
Default Link

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/s...2/videoId/1469

Here's a link to the video. It is from E3.
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:17 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle

Well, I didn't hear anything about the UI in this video.

However, LUA would be an improvment to UI scripting. If they wanted to limit certain functions of the UI, they can do it. If other games fail to do so, then they're not implementing a very solid system.

Anyhow, I look forward to more big, much needed addition and changes to the game. EQ2 really doesn't need MORE content, as much as it needs updated and improved content

We don't wanna lose any more player base
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:39 PM
A Griffawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Well, I didn't hear anything about the UI in this video.

However, LUA would be an improvment to UI scripting. If they wanted to limit certain functions of the UI, they can do it. If other games fail to do so, then they're not implementing a very solid system.
You might want to listen again. Specifically, he said "Right now we are looking at tightening up the user interface. That's one of our next big projects. Although, it is pretty tight, we want to stream line it even more."

I wonder if this has anything to do with the alternate default UI that Rothgar proposed.

http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12117

Oh, and what is LUA? God it has taken me years to figure out the current XML coding. Is that a new programming language?
Unread 06-23-2009, 04:12 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF7666 View Post
Oh, and what is LUA? God it has taken me years to figure out the current XML coding. Is that a new programming language?
Not a new one, but a real one (see lua.org).

And a real possibility: http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...3&postcount=39
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:38 AM
A Griffon
Featured

The first time I loaded the video, only half of it streamed, and I didn't even notice.

Well that's cool. Seems a pretty bland/open statement. But again, I'm looking forward to any changes/additions.

I'm liking the game optimizations for graphics a lot.
Unread 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

I'm headed to fanfaire hopefully I can find out more details there.
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:51 AM
A man among men

Why only shader 3.0? Isn't there like 5.2 now?
Unread 06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

I'm sure they want people with somewhat dated 3DA cards to be able to use the new system and 3.0 will be such an improvement over the current system.
Unread 06-23-2009, 03:24 PM
A Griffawn

I've been in the game to check out the new features and as for the shadows, well eh. The new shadows only respond to the sun and the moon. So when your inside there are no shadows and if your outside at night is shows your shadow from the moon but not the much brighter street lamp your standing next to. But of what there is I do like the GPU shadows much better than the CPU shadows.
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickF7666 View Post
I've been in the game to check out the new features and as for the shadows, well eh. The new shadows only respond to the sun and the moon. So when your inside there are no shadows and if your outside at night is shows your shadow from the moon but not the much brighter street lamp your standing next to. But of what there is I do like the GPU shadows much better than the CPU shadows.
They're working on it. Shadows based on other things are a different story than just the basic ones now, from what the Dev working on it has said. Just because it's not done yet doesn't mean that it won't be done

As for the quote, I bet Rothgar knows. I say we corner him at Fan Faire and make him talk, eh Dolby?
Unread 06-24-2009, 05:08 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Pixel Shaders > 3 are for directX10 and above. This would gray out a lot of customers that would be able to play the game with their video cards.

Pixel shader 3 is not found on a good amount of cards that can still play EQ2, but it will be wonderful to have it implemented I guess as an option (if that's what they're planning on doing).

Here's a pixel shader run down....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM
A man among men

Well based on that I would say that the majority of people have at least a GeForce 6+. Modern average computers now a days are usually GeForce 6800 quality+ and they are 3.0.

Another question is if they are not going to change the lighting and all that then how is it really going to change? Is there going to be a performance decrease and what are the core differences between 2 and 3? Does EQ2 even use 2? Because as far as I know it doesn't even use blur or any other 2.0 pixel shader effects.

Last edited by dragowulf : 06-24-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:34 PM
A Griffon
Featured

My 2nd computer had an AGP video card with 256mb VRAM, and it only supported pixel shader 2.0. It ran EQ2 fairly great...

What I'm getting at though is you'd be surprised what a lot of people actually play EQ2 with. Not saying it's a good thing, but it's still true

And I have no idea what EQ2 utilizes now.
Unread 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
A man among men

I work at Best Buy in the electronics/computers section. We sell average computers. All computers use an Intel or ATI or NVidia card. I'd say about 95% of the computers/laptops we sell have the NVidia 6 series+ (and same with ATI and Intel), which support 3.0. The worst computer's graphics we have are the studio laptops/computers which don't need great graphics cards and even then they still fall under the 6 series.
Unread 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Yeah but that's new or newer computers. I'm talkin' computers already in circulation. Fixing computers is one of my part time jobs.

If you are familiar with the Steam client by valve, they do hardware surveys each month, where users (optionally) upload system stats and fill out surveys. We all know statistics aren't perfect, but it's a good round-figures idea of what's circulating in the modern gaming world:

Results:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

May 2009:
Quote:
DirectX 9 Shader Model 2.0 GPUs (category)
ATI Radeon 9600 (most popular card)
17.74% (percentage)

Last edited by Drumstix42 : 06-24-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 06-24-2009, 06:09 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Don't know whether it can be any indication for EQ2, but EVE Online wanted to drop SM2 support earlier this year. That caused an uproar from a considerable number of people using SM2 hardware and they had to bin that plan.
Unread 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

My guess is if they add shader 3.0 support it will be optional, like GPU shadows. Which is really the best of both worlds from a player perspective... it prevent alienating existing customers with old hardware while updating the look a bit for customers with recent / higher end hardware.
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
A Griffawn

Now I realize that generally updates are about adding more content, but personally I prefer updates that improve the game play. Whether that means adding things to the UI or revamping an old zone to bring it up to date with the newer zones. I would love to see Qeynos and Freeport given a major overhaul. They have become ghost towns on the Oasis server.
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:52 PM
A man among men

Well. They have different devs for different things. We have a PvP dev, class dev, programings devs, tradeskill devs, live event devs, graphics/engine dev, and so on. I doubt the class dev puts his resources into fixing the graphics engine...see where I'm going with this?
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM
A Griffon
Featured

I still feel like the game is losing direction even so. In my perspective, it falls into the view of EQ1 and old content losing both it's place and usefulness in the world. Cities used to be pretty sweet, now they're mostly just filled with a bunch of non-used NPCs and lower level quest characters.

But to stay on topic for the UI, pixel shader 3 isn't really along the line of the topic

It's pretty obvious that the interface could do with more possibility in the way of scripting. The most we get from Live Update to the next, is more Dynamic Data (sometimes) and more functions. A lot of the time.... we are getting what we thought we should have.... a long time ago (fixes, strange processing of current scripting). And I'm just talking UI modding. Yes, we get new windows and new features from time to time.

Without more expansion to the scripting system, or an implementation of a new one (ie, LUA)... I think the current UI will always be behind it's time.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM
A Griffawn

Okay, so do they have an old zone revamp dev? I would think that they must have cause they recently revamped Lavastorm.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:32 AM
A Griffon
Featured

I think general design of the game, whoever does Live Events and organization of the world come together during Live Updates to update older zones.

I would say focus of the game is usually marginal to one area, while other things that are being fixed, or what have you, deals with like class balancing and spells, and encounters, etc.
Unread 06-27-2009, 04:29 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

About the UI changes. I just had a quick chat with Brenlo, they just plan on looking at the various UI elements and tweek them and possibly adopt some things interface authors here have created. Nothing like the auto heal macro's like profit but small things that make sense for every one.

Any more info I hear I'll be sure to share it