EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Splitpaw
Default G19 and Minimap

Hi All,
I have recently purchased a Logitech G19 Keyboard, (after my long serving and faithful G15v1 finally died)
As the title says, I was wondering if it would be possible for one of you clever guys to create an LCD applet that would allow the minimap in EQ2 to be displayed on said LCD? I think this is just the sort of thing that it was made for!
I realise that it's probably a lot more difficult than it sounds, but, as I said, would it be possible (even in theory)?
Thanks in advance,
Taros.
Unread 04-06-2010, 03:30 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

It's possible, yes.

Getting the /loc data to the applet wouldn't be very elegant though. The safe way would be through the log file which would require a small UI script to periodically call /loc or send that data to a channel you can filter out of your visible UI. Your position would only be updated as often as that went off. You're free to spam yourself with /loc all you want, but if you use a chat channel you can't and shouldn't. (Apparently /loc is a "Command" type log line)

The rest would be decoding EQ2MAP's XML files for the right image/position, decoding the DDS and displaying that viewport. I guess adding the icons as well. You could technically add POI searching too but that's pretty extra.

I have the knowledge to do all of the above, but I really don't have the time. For me, the decoding of the EQ2MAPs files would take the most time as it would take trial and error to figure out plotting a /loc on the DDS according to the XML's data. I made my own map program before for EQ2, but it's been a long time since then and I happily use the in-game version.
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Aditu, the "plotting" is simple math, we could even give you our code to get you started. Regarding the /loc data: I do not know how that keyboard can be programmed but since the game client already allows streaming of DynamicData (like /loc) directly to that keyboard you might not need to do any of your logfile magic. Also with Rothgar already using that keyboard and having written the current pages for it he'd likely be inclined to help out further if necessary.
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
A Griffon

I'm guessing that EQ2 doesn't stream any DynamicData to the keyboard in its G15 implementation. Most likely EQ2 takes those XML pages that configure the LCD display, renders them internally like it does for the rest of the UI and then sends each frame bitmap to the G15 API. (The API assumes you do all text rendering through GDI or similar...)

If I were to try to read that data from the keyboard itself, which I don't know of a way to do so, all I would get is a 160x43 image that I would have to OCR.

Looking at the EQ2MAPs XMLs for more than 30 seconds each file, zonerect probably defines the /loc of the upper-left and lower-right pixel of the map, huh? availablerect is a bit more of a mystery. heightmin/heightmax would select which map to view when at a certain Z level.
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Ok, so if the keyboard's API is a GDI interace and EQ2 sends bitmaps did anybody ever try to send images via the g15 xml file? Might just be able to stick the map in there without any need to program anything at all.

AvailableRect is a rectangular area within a zonerect. That way you can have more than one dds on the same z-level. It goes along with AvailablePriority which is basically z-order.

Everything including the formulas is actually explained in detail in our map creation tutorial. SaintPeter even included some really good example pictures that should make it all clear.
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
A Griffon

The G15 isn't as nearly up to the task as the G19. As far as I know, EQ2's only G19 support is because the G19 can upscale the G15 LCD data.

G15 = 160x43 1-bit color
G19 = 320x240 32-bit color
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:07 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Splitpaw

Hi Guys,
Wow! thanks for considering this so quickly, I'm very impressed, wasn't expecting to see any replies yet.
My programming skills are next to useless, (building systems is more my forte)
If it's of any help, I know that the G19 LCD screen and progamming is more sophisticated than the G15. It's capable of running slideshows, has a youtube app for running video and can now use Windows Sideshow apps, so maybe it's like GM9 said, it may not need much to put the map on the LCD, but not being orientated towards app programming, obviously I wouldn't really know.
Anyway, thanks again for replying so fast,
Regards,
Taros.
Unread 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
A Griffon

The base SDK for the G19 is the same as for the G15. The two keyboards are exposed using the same API and a program made for one doesn't have a lot of extra work to get it working on the other. As long as you take into account the differences of the LCDs and buttons.

I'm actually implementing G19 support for ACT now. While you can use Microsoft's Sideshow whatever to interact with Logitech's software, I think it'd just be easier to generate the bitmap frames myself and pass the byte array to the API than it would be to figure out how Sideshow works. (I've really no idea)
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I'd really just contact Rothgar and see what he thinks, if the API is so similar I guess the chances are quite high they could just make any necessary code change (if at all) on the client to support this out of the box.
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
A Griffon

The question would be if the UI elements rendered for the G15 and by extension G19 allow anything other than Text elements in the pages. Futhermore, is it even possible to recreate EQ2MAPs outside of eq2ui_mainhud_map*.xml. If not, then it would be impossible to do through EQ2 without SoE doing most of it themselves.
Unread 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

I haven't even looked at the SDK but on their sight it shows a pic of analog clock on it so I will assume it can handles bit mapping.

As far as recreating EQ2MAP out side of the game is easy as long as you have the zonerect.
Unread 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQAditu View Post
The question would be if the UI elements rendered for the G15 and by extension G19 allow anything other than Text elements in the pages. Futhermore, is it even possible to recreate EQ2MAPs outside of eq2ui_mainhud_map*.xml. If not, then it would be impossible to do through EQ2 without SoE doing most of it themselves.
First issue would be easily tested. Second one is more of an issue - it is always possible to create dupes of hardcoded windows but the question is whether you'll be able to dupe it into the g15 window without breaking the functionality of either one or the other But still, if the game is already capable of sending bitmaps to the keyboard's display I can't see it being much work for SOE to pipe the minimap window into it, too.