EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Unkown
Default Whose brilient idea was it to use spell id's!?

I tried to toe the line yesterday with my post but my anger allowed me to go over it

The reason for the anger? The profitui devs decided, with no notice to the community, that they were going to completely change the paradigm for the raid buttons. My anger was due to finding this out after updating the spell editor with all the new spells from the previous live update.

The devs have all the right to change the program as they see fit. Though they need to take into account the community when making decisiones (if they want a happy community).

They had two options. To go cold-turkey or support and phase out the old paradigm while bringing in the new. They chose the former.

I was supprised they didn't have the foresight to choose deprication. Offer in the updater an option of which to use or include instructions in the install to rename the file to use. This would allow people to learn how to retrieve the spell ids (use the logger) or even give time for someone to create a page that would display the spell id for each spell.

The path the devs chose will leave people as frustrated as before because their buttons are as dificult to change as ever.

After the tirade I saw yesterday I've decided to pull support for the UI.

Thanks to all the support my efforts.

Last edited by Purities : 07-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 07-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

In a bad mood? Why do you want to put others in a bad mood too with such a rude post? Your advice could be posted in a much nicer manner.

Remember you are talking with real people here.
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Lol what? Chrislau did the only right thing by switching to spell numbers after SOE changed the way spells work. There is no other possibility at this time to do it (spell names do not work anymore for international players). So /feedback to SOE but don't flame the modders trying to work with what SOE is giving them. Seriously, you should know better...
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
A Sea Turtle

Last edited by Purities : 07-14-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle

Do the spell id's change? When's the last time they changed?

Stop being selfish. You're complaining about something that is free.
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:10 AM
A man among men
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen

Did I miss something?
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:51 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Original posts were edited (out).... was complaining about ProfitUI replacing spell names with spell ID's. Kinda random.
Unread 07-15-2009, 02:05 AM
A man among men

Why is this such a horrible deed again?

Why did Profit replace it anyways?
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:36 AM
A Griffon
Featured

"average user" inability to edit spells, without knowledge of IDs, was the original complaint. But in a more rude manner
Unread 07-15-2009, 03:42 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

See my post above re why Chrislau did it.

Nothing is stopping Purities from having his editor use spell names instead and thus be useful for players on the English language client only. Same goes for any player who wants to edit the files. So nothing to see here really except someone having had a really bad day I suppose (and from which he'll recover I hope).
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Default Is there a quick reference to translate name to number?

Editing the group/raid buttons is always going to be necessary but the trouble is knowing what spell/art goes to which number or vice a versa. Is there someplace a person can get the spell numbers if we want to add a different spell then those that come with the default raid txt file? Alot of us have discovered how to do the editing...just missing that piece.

thanks
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:52 PM
A Forest Scavenger

He has every right to say and do as he likes!
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
A man among men

I don't understand, spell names still work.
Unread 07-15-2009, 05:40 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oodoe@Oggok View Post
He has every right to say and do as he likes!
Every user has the right to use the services offered here within the bounds of the terms they agreed to when signing up here and which are linked at the bottom of every page. If you have a question about that feel free to PM an admin or a moderator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
I don't understand, spell names still work.
Let me explain it in detail then. It used to be the case that English spell names worked on international servers. This is no longer true, you now need to use the localized spell names. However, EQ2 scripting does not support non-US-ASCII characters, which are nevertheless being used in localized spell names, thus making it impossible to use said localized spell names in ProfitUI or any other UI mod.

On the other hand, nothing has changed for all those people on English language clients or for those on international servers wanting to use spells with names consisting of only US-ASCII characters, they can still happily use spell names either manually as per my FAQ or using Purities editor if it was updated to use the new spell names. Or someone might write an editor that uses the spell IDs and thus supports international players as well.

People on international servers are used to issues with the international versions of the game and you don't see any of them complaining here, instead they proactively and swiftly worked with Chrislau to gather the spell numbers that he put into ProfitUI (see his thread for an explanation on how to get them if you need them), thus allowing players on all server to use the macro buttons in ProfitUI soon after the game update, something which would otherwise be impossible. ProfitUI was the first and I think is still the only UI mod to specifically support international players and I am very happy to see Chrislau is keeping it up (being an international player himself). So if anything you guys should say thanks to him and be done with it.

That's why I said that there is nothing to see here, someone just had a bad day and was creating a scare about something which is a non-issue. And that's the last thing I'm going to say about it. He edited his posts out, so let it rest people.
Unread 07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
A man among men

Oh ok, thank you. I had not known the spell names no longer worked for international players.
Unread 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM
A Sea Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Do the spell id's change? When's the last time they changed?

Stop being selfish. You're complaining about something that is free.
Selfish? Nope.

Do I have proof that they change? No because I've never cared to track them. It's a theory based off experience. Am I right? We'll find out.

If you look at the numbers though it screams primary key (I'll assume you know what I'm talking about)

Each update to a spell a new entry into the database; with the old one being switch off.

You call the previous key and you'll get 'this spell no longer exists'.

It's a warning. Trying to scare someone? Nope

Last edited by Purities : 07-15-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

The spell id's won't change its coded into EQ2 with that number for that spell. Only time they probally will change is if new spells are added in the next xpak but slim chance they will change and no they really don't scream of an index number or primary key. The key in the database could be something completely different. It is however easy to obtain the new keys via exporting the spell list to text. Sorry to see you go off the deep end purity and stop having your updater work. I hope another program (maybe the person who wrote the one for fetish to add profit support) will do so. The person who wrote the one for fetish actualy does have the spell id's in there as well as spell names.
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:09 PM
A Green Troll
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
...I think is still the only UI mod to specifically support international players...
Actually Fetish ClickAbilities specifically supports BOTH English and International clients. The default is English and allows entering spell names. A simple true/false setting switches it to use spell numbers for international clients. And as always, users can edit abilities while in-game.

Until this spell change, there has been no need to do anything special to support International users of the Fetish UI, primarily because I allow the user to make their own selections rather than trying to do this automatically based on class and level text comparisons. I guess you could say I've always supported International clients by avoiding scripting that would be an issue
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Fair enough