EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Crushbone
Default Having a problem updating the updater

When I launch the updater, I get a dialogue box telling me that the updater is out of of date and that I need to manually update from updater.pala.de
Did that, clicked on the link, launched Java, updated the updater, then it ran the UI file check and updated the changed UI files, so far so good.

Next time I ran the updater I get a message saying the updater is out of date and to manually update from updater.pala.de
Did that, clicked on the link, launched Java, updated the updater, then it ran the UI file check and updated the changed UI files, so far so good.

Next time I ran the updater I get a message saying the updater is out of date and to manually update from updater.pala.de

Have you spotted the trend yet ???

Just in case, everytime I run the updater, it want's me to update itself before it will check for updated UI files. Aprt from this, the updating is working fine. The Updater Changelog shows

Version 1.95 - 04 July 2008
Transferring to the new WebStart Version

I'm running Vista 64, the program has admin rights and the version of Jave I'm running is 6.0_05

Anything I can do at my end to fix this ??
Unread 07-11-2008, 05:52 AM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

are you using the new shortcut or the old shortcut? If you look around, you might find that there are 2 (they look the same). I did just what you described on one of my boxes (I even beta tested before it was officially released, so I should have known better).

Well, after a few hair pulling moments of why this and why that, i realized that there were 2 icons. clicked the second one and all was well.
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:27 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorinth View Post
are you using the new shortcut or the old shortcut? If you look around, you might find that there are 2 (they look the same). I did just what you described on one of my boxes (I even beta tested before it was officially released, so I should have known better).

Well, after a few hair pulling moments of why this and why that, i realized that there were 2 icons. clicked the second one and all was well.
No, I don't have 2 shortcuts, but having checked a few things out, I've realised the shortcut I do have is pointing at the old executable, which explains the loop, however, it appears that the updater isn't installing the new version on my PC, just running an instance of it and as soon as it's finished it's gone.

I'll try an unistall/install of the updater, see if that fixes it.

/UPDATE

OK, I've fixed it, didn't need to reinstall, just created a new shortcut to the Launch ProfitUI Reborn Updater.jnlp file !!!

Don't understand why it didn't create the new shortcut in the first place though.

Sorinth, thanks for the steer, sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees

Last edited by flameweaver : 07-11-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Unread 07-11-2008, 06:27 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yeah it's the link. Unfortunately the new updater doesn't properly update/remote the old links (as I also mentioned in the news post on the portal page, always look there for release notes).
Unread 07-11-2008, 09:27 AM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Actually I've never noticed it does not create another shortcut if the old one is present. Since it even has another name there should be no problem with it.

You should _not_ link your shortcut to the jnlp file though, since that can cause problems once I change file locations. Maybe try to delete and uninstall all the old stuff and install the new updater again. It will pretty likely create new shortcuts.
To make sure it is completely uninstalled, go to Start -> Run and type "javaws -viewer". If ProfitUI Updater is still in there, right click it and uninstall it. That will completely remove it.

BTW: Changelog will not give you information about the version you are currently running as it is pulled from the web the moment you open it. For version information go to the 'About' window.
Unread 07-14-2008, 09:51 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

I ran into the same problem as Flameweaver. I have an XP system and noticed a couple of things as I went thru this. First off, Windows did not see the old version of the updater as an application. I had to go in and personally delete the old Profit updater files. I removed the short cut from the desktop and the start up menu. Then I ran the new updater and I can only find one folder being created. It is creating a Profits UI updater folder under the Documents Settings->Application Data folder. It saves 4 files:Updater.backup, updater.data, updater.properties, and updater.script. I am not getting any other files saved to my computer, although the update says everything is up to date. No icons or executable files are being saved to launch the updater from my system.

Have I missed a step somewhere?
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Not that it matters, but the new updater files all go into separate folders managed by Java at the location %APPDATA%\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0.

And yes, the old updater had no uninstaller, it was basically just a self-extracting archive.
Unread 07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
A Forest Scavenger

FYI, I tried to find the updater via the Run -> javaws -viewer. I can not find any reference to the updater in any of the tabs. I tried deleting the 4 files and reupdating the appliation. I still don't get any Icons or paths to launch this from my desktop =(
Unread 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

The java cache viewer has no tabs, it is just a window listing the installed Java apps. I have no idea how it could be possible that the updater is not listed there after you run it, that should be impossible as far as I am aware. However, alternatively you can uninstall from the Windows system control (Add/Remove programs) and then reinstall via the .jnlp file/link.
Unread 07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
A Forest Scavenger

hmmm...I uninstalled java, reinstalled Java from the web. Still when I run javaws -viewer, I get the Java Control panel..with the tabs across the top. Not sure where to look now?
Unread 07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Hmmm, Finally found the problem. I am not sure why, but the cache was disable in my Java download. On the General tab (first one) on the bottem third of the page is the Temporary Internet Files. Under settings, the Top Button (Keep temporary files on my computer) was not checked. Not sure why that was coming in a fresh download from Java that way, but repeated unloads/loads kept giving me that as the default. I clicked that button, closed out of the Java Control Panel and then reloaded the Updater. It fixed the problem and loaded the short cuts. And if your cache is disable (like mine was) the screen GM talked about will not show up either...it goes straight to the Control pane. Learn more every day...and glad to have it up and running finally here...thanks all

=)
Unread 07-15-2008, 01:42 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

cheers, adding that to the FAQ