EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default UI Possability?

Just wondering if this would be possable to do with the UI EQ2 Has.

The UI Add-on would be used to track things. Would you be able to have a db file and save to the XML File from ingame or no? I know you can have a XML file read the DB File.
Unread 01-15-2008, 02:46 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

You can't save directly, however you can POST via the browser. The UI can't read the db in realtime however, only once per session.
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Ok that makes sence so in order to update it I would have to Reload the UI over and over again and that would get really tiring. If you dont mind me asking how do you post info through the browser? I looked with the Search button and couldnt find a thing I must be blind or something.
Unread 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Basically what your browser does when you submit a web form. Google for HTTP POST if you want details.
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
You can't save directly, however you can POST via the browser. The UI can't read the db in realtime however, only once per session.
I was actually discussing this with Aerilik last night. We were talking about creating a new window property that would flag a window as "Dynamic". This would mean that the client watches the xml file for changes, and when a change occurs, re-reads the file and updates the values of controls.

This would open the possibility to some cool new mods but I'd need to discuss it with our technical lead and producers to get the OK. We probably add some restrictions, like a minimum amount of time between updates, so if you spam the file with changes it wont bog down the client. Also, I don't think we'd want to support adding and removing of controls because that would mean a lot of extra work for the client every time the file changes. However, the ability to update text values or UIDataSources and have the controls reload that data would be really cool.
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Sounds interesting. How about a special window then that can save to an xml file? So we can get rid of the clunky window settings dialog and start saving mod configuration settings to .xml? Every modder here would love you for that.
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

This would be great! I then could add a plugin to Henchman that would update guild DKP values and basically open up a ton of things I have wanted to add to my UI.
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:27 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

Quote:
Sounds interesting. How about a special window then that can save to an xml file? So we can get rid of the clunky window settings dialog and start saving mod configuration settings to .xml? Every modder here would love you for that.
Thats a possibility too. If someone wants to write up some details on how they'd like to see it work, I'd love to take a look at it.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Something like EQ1 ini files is all ya need really. I've said it several times in the past. Why are the UI configurations saved as an unreadable compiled file? It makes it so hard to troubleshoot a broken UI setup without 1) going back to default layout or 2) having a saved, working backup.

With all the strange UI behavior, like chat tabs/channels, I think it would be so much easier for the customizers (us and everyone else) to setup things just how we want it
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:23 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yes, that's another point, a readable uisettings.ini format would be great, even though I decoded much of the current format by now (the info is somewhere in Landiin's UI settings spy thread I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
Thats a possibility too. If someone wants to write up some details on how they'd like to see it work, I'd love to take a look at it.
I would basically like the possibility to store arbitrary information (mostly integers) to a file for window configuration. For example, currently in my ControlCenter window you can scale the target effect icons. I would like to be able to store that setting so I can restore it next time the user logs in.

There are two very easy ways to implement this:

1. Since I don't assume that you will just give us the possibility to save to arbitrary files (for security reasons), maybe just give us the possibility to save to one specific file, eg. eq2ui_custom_settings.xml.

The functionality would be very simple. We can load that file during runtime and make modifications via ui scripting just like we currently do. The only thing you would need to add is that we get the command /save_custom_settings (or something like that) and that will take the version of that xml which is in memory and write it to disk.

2. The alternative implementation to that would be to have /save_uisettings also save changes made to windows via scripting. For example, if I set window size and position via a script it will not save unless I modify the window with the mouse first. If I could have the script modified settings saved via a script triggered /save_uisettings, then I could also store integer values by manipulating the size and location of elements.

And while you are taking wishes, fix the scripting engine to allow the handling of non-ascii characters, and give us dynamic data for raid wide impairments.

Last edited by gm9 : 01-18-2008 at 04:25 AM.
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
You would also need to add another property to UI objects. Something like SaveProperties or something. That way the client would know if you wanted to save this objects properties. Because not every object would need it's properties saved and you can't begin to guess what the modder wants.

I'd like to see the file laid out kind of like;

Code:
<CustomSave>
 <Window Name="window name" Top="1" Left="1" etc..>
  <SubObject Name="Object name" Top="1" left="1" etc../>
 </Window>
</CustomSave>
And please please please pass the value sent to Top, Left, Height and Width through a trunc function.... You don't have to change the way math is done just pass the values in these properties through a trunc function.. If you do this I am sure gm9 will give you his 1st born child.

Last edited by Landiin : 01-18-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I'm sure Landiin realizes that top, left, etc. are only generated during runtime and that my eq2ui_custom_settings.xml idea is superior, however I agree I'd sacrifice a fellow modder to you for a trunc() function.
Unread 01-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
I'm sure Landiin realizes that top, left, etc. are only generated during runtime and that my eq2ui_custom_settings.xml idea is superior, however I agree I'd sacrifice a fellow modder to you for a trunc() function.

Never said your idea wasn't good, personally I liked it. I was just saying there will have to be a new property added to object to tell the client you want this object's properties saved. That way if i make a movable page inside my window the client will know I want it's new size and location saved and not just read form the XML file. Unless you are wanting it to save the properties of every object in said file. That is a waste of resource if you ask me though.

The reference to Top, Left etc was just and exp of the node layout. But yes I want them saved so I can read them directly and not have to reference back to the main window.

Last edited by Landiin : 01-18-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:09 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yeah I know, I was just looking for an excuse to use that devil smiley after you sold my firstborn.
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Quote:
Yeah I know, I was just looking for an excuse to use that devil smiley after you sold my firstborn.

Well wouldn't you? :P Heck I'll give them all three of mine! Come to think of it, they can just have them:P j/k
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:36 PM
A man among men
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nagafen

I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been wanting this and I have a few suggestions for some ideas for something similar, that wont effect performance that much.

Say you have the ProfitUI Market Window. In the ProfitUI Market Window (.jpg), the window can show "Your Sales" and "Your Log" horizontally at the right via the button to the top left, but it wont save unless you set the dropdown box in Window Settings and select "Frame and Title" (i think). If you set it to "None" the window will display Your Sales" and "Your Log" like the Default market window. gm9 has it coded to do exactly this.

Currently this is the only way to save certain settings in-game. I think you should allow us (the UI Modders) to make our own custom presets (like Frame Only, etc.) so the user can pick one that better fits their preferences.

Or/And you could just make a new Property and call it "SaveSettings", if it's set to true, whatever the button/sliders/Dividers/Pages/etc,etc. makes changes to- it will save.

These will cut down on performance issues by not saving the .xml every time a change is made. It will be the UI Developers choice by setting an Object's SaveSettings to true.

or maybe I'm just ranting :P
drago.

Edit: gm9's ideas are good

Last edited by dragowulf : 02-02-2008 at 11:40 PM.