EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Question Help with syntax with Page, Text, and Button

I'm trying to modify eq2ui_journals_active.xml so I have a button that can say in guild or group what your Quest Details are. In can get Quest Name easy, but quest details is being much harder...
In the below example I have 2 buttons, OuterButton and InnerButton... when I press InnerButton it actually prints out the quest details, but only for that line, so if a quest has multiple steps (like Lore and Legend quests), you'd have to press the InnerButton per line. But when I press OuterButton it just emotes "Some sample quest text", it doesn't actually print the quest details. I'd like to use the OuterButton instead of the InnerButton as I'd like to only have to press the button once, not per line.

Does anyone know the syntax to do this? I tried using /GameData.Quest.* stuff, but it seems that doesn't work anymore?

Code:
<Button Name="OuterButton" OnPress="emote Parent.QuestPartTemplate.PartText.LocalText">OuterButton</Button>

<Page Name="QuestPartTemplate">
	<Button Name="InnerButton" OnPress="emote Parent.PartText.LocalText">InnerButton</Button>
	<Text Name="Bullet">:f670432968224c07:-</Text>
	<Text Name="PartText">:f670432948cbdaa4:Some sample quest text</Text>
</Page>

Last edited by Jonaroth : 07-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:50 AM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

The problem is that your outer button is attempting to access an object within a template, which is not the same as the objects generated from the template at runtime.

Your best bet for dealing with this sort of situation is to figure out some mechanism for scripting the template items to pass their data up to your outer button. This way the clones will have the same script to bubble up their data at runtime.

If you're lucky, the client will automatically show the template elements if set to invisible, in which case you can just hide the needed element and give it an onShow script.

More likely you will need to use something that requires user action, like onHover or a clickable button inside the template.

Another option is the onTextChanged event. If you're lucky, this event will fire for each text element after its cloned and filled with quest data. The only issue with this is that a series of cloned elements may fire in a somewhat random order depending on how long it takes to populate each one.

Say you have a list of quest steps

Step A has the most text
Step B has the least text
Step C has a medium amount of text

Step B fires first, then C, then A. So your emote will list the steps out of order.

Last edited by Zonx : 07-30-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Unread 07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Thanks for the response. I'll give your suggestion a try :-)