EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 01-23-2005, 10:54 AM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default cant get the custom ui's to work

i cannot get the custom ui to work i have done everthing it says to do but still when i load up nothing can some one plz give me another run down on how to install them
Unread 01-23-2005, 12:02 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Blackburrow

1. Open your EverQuest 2 folder on your system.
2. Find your UI folder inside your EQ2 folder and Open the UI folder.
3. Create a new folder, call it custom or sebiz or for that matter anything you want to call it, just remember what you called it because you will need that later on.
4. Unzip whatever UI components or full UI mods you downloaded into this custom folder you have made.
NOTE: If the UI you have downloaded has created it's own folder within this folder you will have to copy all of the contents of the new folder that the zip file created into the root of the new folder that you created. For this example let's say the folder you created is called custom. The zip file you just unziped into this custom folder created a folder called mymods within your custom folder. Copy everything in mymods into your custom folder (including any subfolders in the mymods folder).
5. In the future when you download any UI Components unzip them into this same folder that you created.
6. Go back up to your EverQuest 2 folder and create a new text file and name it eq2.ini.
7. Open the eq2.ini file in NOTEPAD.
8. Add the following two lines and save the file (Make sure you change where I have humudcemods in this example to what ever the folder name was that you created).
Code:
cl_ui_skinname humudcemods
cl_ui_subdir UI/
So in the example of using a folder named custom. It would look like this...
Code:
cl_ui_skinname custom
cl_ui_subdir UI/
9. Once you have saved the eq2.ini you can close NOTEPAD and launch EQ2 and your new mods should appear.

[Guild Leader] Tiggler is my Main, Humudce is my Alt on Blackburrow.
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:18 PM
A Coastal Crab

I do exactly like u wrote here and how is written in the faq but it doesnt work what can i do ? i named the folder as myuis and changed create the eq2.ini with:

cl_ui_skinname myuis
cl_ui_subdir UI/

i directly put in the xml files into this folder but if i load eq there are only the old backs

greetings
grim
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:26 PM
A Berserk Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbaldosh
I do exactly like u wrote here and how is written in the faq but it doesnt work what can i do ? i named the folder as myuis and changed create the eq2.ini with:

cl_ui_skinname myuis
cl_ui_subdir UI/

i directly put in the xml files into this folder but if i load eq there are only the old backs

greetings
grim
Make sure you have saved the EQ2.ini file in the Everquest II base directory.
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:28 PM
A Berserk Golem

Also try naming the folder MyUIs with the caps and specifying it like that inside the Eq2.ini file stranger things have been known to happen lol.
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM
A Crazed Gnoll

I'm having a similar issue. Have created folder named journal in the UI directory. All custom xml files are in that directory, not in any subdirectory within it. Created eq2.ini file in notepad (in EQ2 root directory), it contains the following:

cl_ui_skinname journal
cl_ui_subdir UI/

Booted game, no custom elements. Re-read install instructions, saw advice saying to swap the order of the 2 lines of text if it doesn't initially work, resaved, restarted & still nothing. Any help appreciated. Am about to quit out of game again & try some creative capitalization of the folder name too.

EDIT: Was reading another thread on here about install probs and decided to try the /loadui command even though its said to be bugged. Insom's mods appeared in my list, so I clicked on it. Now, I had placed mod files for quest journal, 3/4 hotkeys & advanced map in my journal UI folder. When selecting Insom's mod, the hotkey's shrank, it reverted me to one chat window, my name appeared as Longestnamepossiblemy xp bar reading changed from one yellow to 1/2 way through lvl with a ton of debt, I was suddenly listed as lvl 50, etc etc etc. Needless to say I reverted to default, camped out, overwrote my character UI file with a copy of one of my other chars (I keep all my alts with same UI setup) & came back into game. If this is what will happen when I apply custom mods, then its not worth it. Please help!

Last edited by Kylaia : 01-24-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Unread 01-25-2005, 12:40 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylaia
...If this is what will happen when I apply custom mods, then its not worth it.
No, that's just what happens when you use /loadui.

If you're having trouble:

1- Go to your EQ2 folder. Highlight your eq2.ini file. Do a screen capture (Alt-PrintScreen key on your keyboard). Open Paint, Click the Edit menu and click Paste, save as a JPG.
2- (Still in EQ2 folder) View > Arrange icons by > Type. Scroll up to the top of the window so you can see all the subfolders, and take another screenshot. (Alt-Printscreen, open Paint, Edit > Paste, save as jpg.)
3- Go to the UI folder within your EQ2 folder. Alt-printscreen again. Paste in Paint and save as jpg again.
4- Attach all 3 images to a reply in this thread.

That should give us sufficient information to diagnose the problem.
Unread 01-25-2005, 04:47 AM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Blackburrow

Something I've encountered with several people now:

1) open windows explorer.
2) go to "tools", then "folder options"
3) on the view tab, UNCHECK "hide extensions for known file types"
4) click ok.
5) now go to your eq2 folder, and make sure that "eq2.ini" wasn't actually "eq2.ini.txt".

Out of the 4 or 5 people who had trouble installing UIs that I've spoken to, this has been the problem.
Unread 02-05-2005, 04:52 AM
A Coastal Crab

Prefader, you are a genius! I thank you, and my husband thanks you.

eq2.ini.txt - doh!
Unread 02-05-2005, 12:18 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Like I said in another post, you really need to learn file and folder structure FIRST. Then people will not have these problems
Unread 02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Steamfont

i dhave the same problem. my folder's name was INTERFACE and i put this in a notepad (i did prefader's advice and it did say "eq2.ini" not "eq2.ini.txt")

cl_ui_skinname INTERFACE
cl_ui_subdir UI/

i loaded it up and it still doesn't work...any advice?
Unread 02-11-2005, 07:31 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
No, that's just what happens when you use /loadui.

If you're having trouble:

1- Go to your EQ2 folder. Highlight your eq2.ini file. Do a screen capture (Alt-PrintScreen key on your keyboard). Open Paint, Click the Edit menu and click Paste, save as a JPG.
2- (Still in EQ2 folder) View > Arrange icons by > Type. Scroll up to the top of the window so you can see all the subfolders, and take another screenshot. (Alt-Printscreen, open Paint, Edit > Paste, save as jpg.)
3- Go to the UI folder within your EQ2 folder. Alt-printscreen again. Paste in Paint and save as jpg again.
4- Attach all 3 images to a reply in this thread.

That should give us sufficient information to diagnose the problem.

Well, here's my 3 pics + a pic of the inside of my custom UI folder ("brian").. hope you can figure my problem out as well Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1180  Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1181  Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1182  Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1183  
Unread 02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Been a while since I"ve seen the normal Windows XP template hehe. (used to be super skinned by myself, but now I'm just using classical )
Unread 02-11-2005, 07:40 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie
Well, here's my 3 pics + a pic of the inside of my custom UI folder ("brian").. hope you can figure my problem out as well Thanks
your problem is that your eq2.ini file isn't and eq.ini file, from that screenshot it is an eq2.ini.txt file. you need to change your system to show file extensions for everything and then get rid of .txt so its not eq2.ini.txt just eq2.ini. when you do it right its icon will have one of those orageish gear things on it like some of the other files.
Unread 02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42
Been a while since I"ve seen the normal Windows XP template hehe. (used to be super skinned by myself, but now I'm just using classical )
Yeah I was using classical, but then I changed it back to the normal XP around New Year's.. dunno why
Unread 03-11-2005, 01:18 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefader
Something I've encountered with several people now:

1) open windows explorer.
2) go to "tools", then "folder options"
3) on the view tab, UNCHECK "hide extensions for known file types"
4) click ok.
5) now go to your eq2 folder, and make sure that "eq2.ini" wasn't actually "eq2.ini.txt".

Out of the 4 or 5 people who had trouble installing UIs that I've spoken to, this has been the problem.
EVERY Problem I have ever had with custom UIs and Maps was solved with this one, very simple, very informative step. Each time I have tried to use these downloads I would get frustrated because nothing worked.... until I changed my eq2.ini.txt file to eq2.ini.

Another way to easily see if your file is named correctly is to list the files in your eq2 folder as "details" (listing by file type). Your new file should be a 'configuration' file and not a 'text' file.

Cheers!
~~Bear~~