EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Hotbutton Referencing?

I've modded a few of the UIs to fit my personal playstyle but haven't felt that anything was major enough to actually post yet. Mainly just moving text, numbers, changing fonts, stuff like that.

Now, I'm ready for the first big step to creating the UI I desperately want. But, for it to work I need to figure out how to reference the Hotbutton info.

In other words, how would I write code that would create a button with the same icon, tooltip and /usea as the first spell/ability in hotbar #1?
Mind you, I want to create the button in a different window... say the pet window.

The idea is that I could put whatever spell I want in the hotbar, close the hotbar and have that spell be on my pet or group window where I want it.

This shouldn't be too difficult as it's just reading in info and displaying buttons that already exist. My best guess is that it is dynamic game info, but I just can't seem to figure out where to find it.

When I get the custom UI working, I'll post it and my guess is that it will be pretty sweet. This is assuming that someone else doesn't see this post and say, "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?"

Many thanks for all of the work ya'll have done to make our gaming experience easier and more friendly!

- SCESW
Unread 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

To my knowledge that isn't possible. But, you may be able to do what you want some other way.. so what are you trying to do?
Unread 05-03-2007, 01:34 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Well, the idea is simple enough.

You can get dynamic game data for health, names, and loads of other stuff that you need to display. I figured that there was probably a list of the hotbar data somewhere but I have yet to find it.

I know that you can save hotkeys and read the file, but that doesn't update unless you reload it, which might have to be done as a lame work around for what I want.

You can create a button and use the /usea ability to call the spell or ability, that is done in plenty of other custom UIs, so that's not a problem.

So, if I could create a button in the group window under each persons health, then reference that button to equal what was in a particular hotbutton slot, then I could use spells from the group window the same way we use the click to cure.
But, the main difference would be that I could drag a different spell into the hotbar slot thereby updating what was referenced by the group window button.

In the long run, this would allow for all sorts of creative UIs especially when coupled with the current macros.
In the short term, it would allow a healer to do a Click2Cure and then his favorite Heal/Ward without moving the mouse from the group window.

There is already Click Assist, Follow, Cure on the group bar. I'd like to add or see someone add a button(s) that point to a position in the hotbutton bar.
Heck, I could even make a button that simply activates Hotbutton#?... but I want to read the data from that slot. I want to be able to update my custom button with the same icon, tooltip and name as the button in the Hotbutton slot.
To do this, I'd need access to the dynamic game data, since buttons can be moved around on the fly and that info must be stored somewhere. And if it is stored on Sony's server, then it has to be sent to our client machines in order to update our screens. So, the information is out there somewhere. :-)

I've seen the custom defiler group window and while that works, it doesn't do anything for someone who isn't a defiler or who isn't skilled enough to go in and edit the .xml file.

So, anyone have any hints or ideas about this?

Thanks again,
SCESW

Last edited by scesw : 05-03-2007 at 01:40 AM.
Unread 05-03-2007, 03:55 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

As Othesus said, it's not possible to do it like that, there is no known way to access that data from within the UI, in particular since they introduced the IconBank for showing hotbar buttons, and I'd wager there is no way at all to do it.

There are other ways which are a bit more limited than what you try to do, but you may want to give them a try:

Since class specific buttons on group and raid windows have been requested a number of times for my UI as well, I have on my list the idea to provide one or more custom buttons for these windows which the user can configure dynamically using a custom window having radio buttons. The group/raid window custom buttons would press the selected radio button on the custom window. You would have preconfigured the radio buttons with any number of commonly used spells you would cast on group members (on top of the list necro hearts or conjuror shards ).

Another idea I have been toying with is to use class auto-detection code and automatically select a preconfigured action for that class to be used when clicking the custom button (again with the example above, necromancers would get the heart button and conjurors the shard button).

Feel free to use any of those ideas.
Unread 05-03-2007, 03:04 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thanks for the ideas. That is certainly along the same route that I'm looking.

It really is too bad that Sony allows us to see and access so much information but we can't see what is on one of the iconbank slots.

Is this a known fact or is it just that no one has figured it out yet?
In other words, if Sony has made it clear that they don't want us doing it, then I'll stop and try another approach. But, if it simply hasn't been done yet and that is what has stopped others, then I'll continue to poke around. :-)

The next logical question would be... can we read the info from the new macro set ups? I mean, could I create a button that referenced a macro from my Macros window?
If so, then all I'd need to do is create a Macro1-Macro10. The custom icons would help tremendously, but this would certainly be the next step (or so I'd think).

This way, you wouldn't need to update any text files, you'd simply drag and drop your favorite spells into the proper macro slots.

Thanks again!
- SCESW
Unread 05-03-2007, 05:53 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

As I said, I'm not excluding that it is possible, I just don't think that it is. You are most welcome to show that I am wrong!
Unread 05-03-2007, 11:22 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:
Originally Posted by scesw View Post
The next logical question would be... can we read the info from the new macro set ups? I mean, could I create a button that referenced a macro from my Macros window?
If so, then all I'd need to do is create a Macro1-Macro10. The custom icons would help tremendously, but this would certainly be the next step (or so I'd think).
Scripts can push buttons on any UI window and change other UI properties. They can also fire off any / command like /useability or /cutemode. There are a few operators you can use in a limited way shown in this post:
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=5406
There are a lot of things that are hard coded into the game client though that aren't available to scripting.

I believe you can have up to 50 macros (in the macro window) but I don't know of a / command that will fire off one of them. I'll have to check for that.