EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown
Default Lack of new expansion dungeon maps...

Can we please get maps done for zones that aren't there, and if they need to redone "complete" or "artsy" do them later? Or does that cost too much in bandwidth?

Heck having that incomplete hole map is far more useful than having no map at all isn't it?

The lack of content from eq2maps as far as what zones are done is saddening, it either means it is a victim of its own success and has high standards (which isn't bad, it just isn't as useful as it used to be which is sad) or that no one is doing maps anymore because they just don't care about the game, which is bad.

Please don't misunderstand where I am coming from, it is just when you run the updater and you get nothing but PoI go into the game and see no map for this zone, you wonder what happened to the glory days of eq2 when antonica looked like a giant pencil sketch yet you knew where to go, and that if a zone wasn't done yet it would be covered in a matter of days :P

Is it just no longer possible to get people to submit maps? Or is it people depend too much on wiki to care anymore about helping others?

Oh well, this was meant as constructive criticism, because the product is an awesome concept, it is a shame SOE doesn't release their own maps when they release expansions that you guys could just piggy back on top of.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Nagafen

Less complaining, more map making.

Silat
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpaw View Post
Is it just no longer possible to get people to submit maps? Or is it people depend too much on wiki to care anymore about helping others?
Look in the mirror...
Unread 04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Good maps are a lot of work, and we rely on people to make them -- it's not like EQ2MAP has paid staff that sits around making maps all day.

A lot of the zones in SF are very complex, with multiple level, lots of detail, etc. That means it takes folks a while to make maps. Once someone has actually made a map that works, gm9 usually gets it up on the updater within a day or two.

There is a bandwidth cost for if we change a map file (after all, everyone that uses the updater is then downloading a new version of the file). This means we're not going to put a partially-finished map up immediately, especially when the author indicates they are still working on it. The code for many of the maps gets posted in the threads before they go to the auto-updater, so you can always manually download and add a semi-complete map.

Last edited by lordebon : 04-23-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Unread 04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
Look in the mirror...
I did make one GM9 and it is still sitting there because it hasn't been made as pretty as the others. Also, I do not mean this offensively in anyway shape form or fashion, I am merely stating, -something- is better than nothing, the charge in bandwidth does make sense, I have no idea how many people update maps or how much cost poi's are that get pushed (by bandwidth I mean).

I do voice that there is no reason to make more maps unless they must be made with X standard, and I have no intention to make X standard because to me that form is over function which is backwards. When eq2maps came out it was function over form, which is what I was vocally wondering if because of its success it has driven away map makers who think everything needs to be really pretty or it isn't going to be allowed to be shared to others.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments, again I mean no ill will against the creators of eq2maps, it is a great product. If it wasn't I wouldn't give a rats ass to its condition.
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:07 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpaw View Post
I did make one GM9 and it is still sitting there because it hasn't been made as pretty as the others.
You might have missed it but your map is on the eq2map updater.

I believe it was reasonable of us to ask whether anybody wanted to texture the outline that is your map since texturing does not take long usually. We did not say we would reject the map if noone was going to do it. Since someone stepped up immediately offering to texture we held the map back for some 2 weeks in the interest of a better quality map, but when none was forthcoming your map went live as you uploaded it.

Bandwidth is still a reason for not pushing drafts of maps but for EQ2MAP v2 jnils and I changed it so everything is downloaded in compressed form so bandwidth usage has actually been reduced quite a bit. The other reason is simply that it takes a certain effort to verify a map and add it to eq2map, so we try to only push them live once if we can help it (and for some reason it always seems to come down to me and neither am I getting paid for this nor am I even playing this game anymore!).

If that is nevertheless enough to demotivate you from creating further maps that is unfortunate but quite frankly cannot be helped, although I hope me taking the time to explain helps you reconsider your position and we will see more maps from you, be they minimalist outlines or fully textured works of art.
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

I hope you dont stop creating maps Goldenpaw. Some one said they were going to color your map so the team waited a little bit. Unfortunately that didn't happen but your map was added. It's nice and appreciated by many if they are colored/textured but certainly not required.

I think you'll see the majority of maps on eq2map are not nicely colored, we've never required a standard where they must be textured and colored nicely. The Team only waited on yours because some one offered to color it.

BTW gm9 is awesome.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-24-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:10 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Unhappy

Yeah I droped the ball on the textures for Goldenpaw. Sorry about that. got busy. Wont happen again. I will at least log in and post my status in the future.