EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 08-07-2007, 11:11 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Friendly tip re: install instructions.

Being completely unfamiliar with EQ2 mods/installation I found your installation instructions incomplete, vague, and assuming.

This is only the second mod I'm attempting to use with eq2, the first was eq2maps which had an automated installer.

I'm technically inclined and have no issues with extracting files, manually modifying settings in .xml/.ini files, etc. However, there appears to be an assumption level that the user is familiar with how eq2 mods are installed and work.

Quote:
Installation:

* Please check the .zip comment or the included readme file for information on installation. NOTE: Unfortunately the following paragraph of the installation information is only in the .zip comment, not in the readme, which is why I repost it here:

If you are already using another UI mod (this comprises EQ2MAP):

IMPORTANT: Do not overwrite your existing eq2ui.xml with the included file.
Instead, edit the existing eq2ui.xml in your custom UI folder with notepad or another editor to add this line:

<include>_ProfitUI_Styles.xml</include>

* The window should be compatible with any other UI set/UI elements out there, the window style will automatically adapt (the expand/shrink button might not be perfectly placed).
* Installing this window will not overwrite any searches that you saved in the DefaultUI (or another mod).
-This zip comment directs the user to your website
-Where exactly are we extracting the file?
-How is the eq2ui.xml file going to get overwritten if there's no stored path in the archive. The only other eq2ui.xml file in my eq2 folder is \eq2\ui\default.
-If we modify the eq2ui.xml file in \eq2\ui\default do we then remove the one that is included with your .zip?
-I found different instructions on the eq2interface site which has the user modifying the eq2.ini file in \eq2\, is that not needed for your mod?

Note: I'm only trying to install the market window. I perused the instructions for the full mod and found the same quality of direction.
Unread 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by stergil View Post
Being completely unfamiliar with EQ2 mods/installation I found your installation instructions incomplete, vague, and assuming.
Actually the problem is, and thanks for bringing it to my attention I guess, that the installation instructions in the .zip file were replaced by a reference to the website, whereas the website still refers to the .zip. I will have to update the website. Use the installation instructions in the FAQ linked at the top of this page in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stergil View Post
I perused the instructions for the full mod and found the same quality of direction.
Why thank you. If you find the instructions lacking feel free to ask any questions that remain...
Unread 08-07-2007, 02:39 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
that's just it isn't it ?! IMHO if you're unfamiliar with mods - best not to muck around with it. But having said that its good that you're trying it out & reading the FAQ which most people don't...

If there are any questions - thats what the forums is for I'm sure all the PUI users here can help if its not a bug related problem.

I have been using Profit since ver 2.6 & I think its the best UI I've ever come across & it works seamlessly with EQ2MAP & POI.

Keep up the good work gm9 - you rock !!

Last edited by titanax : 08-07-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Unread 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanax View Post
that's just it isn't it ?! IMHO if you're unfamiliar with mods - best not to muck around with it. But having said that its good that you're trying it out & reading the FAQ which most people don't...
That's a silly thing to say, you have to start somewhere

Quote:
If there are any questions - thats what the forums is for I'm sure all the PUI users here can help if its not a bug related problem.
I'm sure my problem stems from me doing something wrong, I have no question there. In re-reading my post I realize I could have worded it more politely but I was rather annoyed at the time. For that, I apologize.

My intentions of this post were to point out that for someone who isn't familiar with how to install mods for this game, the documentation is lacking. It's not the 'how do I extract an archive' type of problem, but rather incomplete documentation with assumed knowledge.

Quote:
I have been using Profit since ver 2.6 & I think its the best UI I've ever come across & it works seamlessly with EQ2MAP & POI.
That's exactly why I want to check it out!! I hear great things about it. I figured I'd start with the broker panel and go from there.

I thought my issues were conveyed in my original post. In case I was unclear I'd like to know how to install the Market Window portion of Profit UI.

-Where do the contents get extracted to? the root of the EQ2 folder? In the UI subfolder?
-How do I tell eq2 the mod is there, do I have to modify the eq2.ini file? (eq2interface.com said I needed to, but your instructions didn't mention it)
-Do i need to modify the .xml file, if so which one? the one in \ui\default? The one in \<market window dir>?
-If I'm modifying the .xml file in \ui\default do I need to remove the one that gets extracted with the market panel mod?
-Anything else I should know, or more importantly any other references I should read to familiarize myself with what I should/shouldn't be doing in regards to eq2 mods?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it

EDIT: I overlooked it initially, but I now see you pointing me to the FAQ for eq2interface.com. I'll give those a whirl and see what comes of it.

Last edited by stergil : 08-07-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:12 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Following the eq2interface instructions did the job. My confusion came from reading some different instructions in your docs.

Thanks for your time & effort,
Sterg
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

stergil, I re-added the installation instructions that were originally distributed with the mod but then lost along the way.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. While I think my installation instructions are generally quite complete - at least I get next to no questions on how to install my mods - most people will have some experience with mods by now and my instructions may be lacking for the complete beginner. I'm always happy to improve them.
Unread 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

The installtion couldnt be any easier. It use to be so much more difficult but now just unzip in your eq2 folder easy as pie.
Unread 08-09-2007, 10:24 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

geek: Perhaps it's become automatic to you, and there-in lies the assumed knowledge. You're forgetting a couple of steps. Modifying the eq2.ini file as well as the .xml file.

gm9: It's refreshing to see a positive approach in helping beginners out. I, for one, appreciate your help.

I'm loving the market window mod and am looking forward to checking out the full UI. Thanks again!