EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Dev Shack

Unread 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest
Default Active Quest Window

I'm working on modifying the active quest window so that it will track multiple quests instead of just one. Obviously this means that the text associated with each quest will have to be truncated a little bit if its too long. I plan on making it so that clicking the quest name will open the full detail window so you can get to all of the info easily.

However, my question is this. Are any of you making use of the button page that allows you to navigate through recently updated quests? I'd love to take out a lot of this old code and old processing to recoup some resources and make the code simpler, but I'm not sure who would be making use of this.

I know the default UI isn't using it. Let me know what you think.
Unread 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Guk

I never felt that feature provided much benefit in the quick window (Active Quest). If I needed that kind of visability of the quest process, I always hit J and go from there where I have a much better picture of what I am looking at.

Now, that said, the benefit of moving between recently updated quests is beneficial and the keys that I use for it should still work if you remove the navigation code right? Like pressing the period key on the keyboard takes you to the last quest updated (I think). Having some keys and/or a sort method in the Journal window for Recently Updated would help with moving around in a group of truly active quests in the Journal environment.

Even if this was a top five or updated today (or this week and so on), it would give greater visiblity to the groups of quests that are being worked on.

I would like to maximize my time while in a zone to get updates on quests that are in that zone, but as it turns out, the filter method for This Zone only helps with things that specificaly update that flag or originate in the zone and don't move out of it (i.e. Not Multiple Zone quests). It would be nice to somehow create some tagging that links up quests in your journal, achievements in the new system and collections with a current zone methodology.

If I zoned into LFay and I could open a window or get a popup that said these are some of the things you can do while your here.
You still need the Black Mushroom for collection...
These quests are incomplete and have updates in this zone...
You can skillup on foresting here to reach ###
These achievements can be completed while you're here
These friends are also in zone with you

To me, this keeps the non-raiding game player motivated to go into a zone with a mission, but leave with possibly a completely different set of possibilities that keep him/her playing in a multi-thread objective.
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOE-Rothgar View Post
I'm working on modifying the active quest window so that it will track multiple quests instead of just one. Obviously this means that the text associated with each quest will have to be truncated a little bit if its too long. I plan on making it so that clicking the quest name will open the full detail window so you can get to all of the info easily.

However, my question is this. Are any of you making use of the button page that allows you to navigate through recently updated quests? I'd love to take out a lot of this old code and old processing to recoup some resources and make the code simpler, but I'm not sure who would be making use of this.

I know the default UI isn't using it. Let me know what you think.
I support removing it. Never used it, never saw it as very useful.
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
However, my question is this. Are any of you making use of the button page that allows you to navigate through recently updated quests?
I used to use only the shortcut keys for that function but then people asked me to actually implement the buttons and dropdown. So I guess at least some people make use of it, but probably not too many. After I implemented it I sometimes used the dropdown, never the buttons.
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:00 PM
A Griffon
Yes this person is from Daybreak!

Server: Unrest

With the new window I'm working on, I actually like something that Aion is doing, but for all I know they may have taken the idea from another game, but regardless, it's good.

Whenever you do something to update a quest that's not in your list of "active" quests, that quest is added temporarily at the bottom. This allows you to permanently sticky it to the active list if you choose. I'm thinking about implementing the same thing. We already have something similar the way the quest journal "flashes" the quest info for a quest that is updated. All I'd be doing is showing that info at the bottom of the list instead of hiding the entire list.
Unread 10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

Yes the way Aion's mini quest window/list works rocks. If you could bring that idea to EQ2 that would be awesome!

To answer your question I do use the arrows to scroll through the quests, but I wouldn't miss it if you took out that code. I use it because it is there and it saves me from searching for it. If you do it the way your talking about there wouldn't be any need for that code..
Unread 10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
A Griffon

Server: Antonia Bayle

I use Profit and use both buttons (last quest updated drop-down and the privious/next quest buttons

Edited to add: I am a quest-a-holic, and just compelted the 3500 quests completed on my quest toon, so I may use it differently than many people

Last edited by gjsi : 10-11-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Unread 10-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjsi View Post
I use Profit and use both buttons (last quest updated drop-down and the privious/next quest buttons

Edited to add: I am a quest-a-holic, and just compelted the 3500 quests completed on my quest toon, so I may use it differently than many people
Here's a question for you though: If you could track multiple quests at once, would you still want / need to have those buttons?
Unread 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Obviously this means that the text associated with each quest will have to be truncated a little bit if its too long.
I think this new window sounds cool and can't wait for it. There is one enhancement i would like to see if at all possible.

Rothgar mentioned that he would have to truncate the quest text in the new window, and clicking or double click the name of the quest would open the quest journal as it does right now. Would it also be possible to show the full text in a mouse over? also be able to turn this feture on and off? I know i would like but my girl friend would hate something like this. If the mouse over would not work then perhaps single click to see text and double click to see open journal?