EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Default Unable to update EQ2 from patcher

Since I have satellite and I am limited to 300MB dowlnloads per day (sucks bad), I just dowloaded the EQ2 trial from a friends house and installed it on my machine at home. However, I am wondering if I can do the same with the game updates. Everytime I try and download the updates, I end up going over my alotted download threshold for the day. I am able to play MMORPG games such as Sony Vanguard (had this game before I moved out to a rural area) with no real problem - I just need to be able to download the updates for the game.

Is there anywhere I can go to in order to get the full EQ2 update?

Thanks!
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

The short answer is "No". EQ2's updaters are all handled via the launcher, there's no releases or anything like that of specific files.

With that being said, the streaming patcher may help. It downloads a much smaller amount of data in the beginning, and only downloads more as is needed. (IE the individual art assets, etc. are only downloaded when you encounter them in game. The art for zone X won't be downloaded until you go into zone X).

In either case, I would recommend using a utility to track your bandwith usage, that way you don't accidentally go over. Especially since I believe the initial install size for even the streaming updater is over 300 MB.
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
A Brown Bear

Thanks for your help on this and sorry for all the newbish questions .

Where do I go to use the Streaming Patcher? Should it work with the Trial Download that I have?

Thank you,

'Zete
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Or you could just order the game on DVD? The updates are not that big most of the time, just the initial install.
Unread 01-20-2010, 12:40 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

If you downloaded the trial from the everquest 2 site you already use the streaming client, i think the initial size is 60 mb.
You can see this in game as a animated baby dragon shows when something is downloaded.
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
A Brown Bear

Ah, I had signed up for the trial on the sony site then downloaded the regular trial version through fileplanet (on another computer) and then moved it to my computer at home. I was totally unaware that a streaming client even existed until I created this thread. Last night I downloaded the streaming version of the client and it appears to work. I haven't created a character yet for I went to bed just as this part finally appeared.

I look forward to checking out EQ 2 this weekend. I was an original EQ player (01-04) on one of the old EQ PVP servers and left because they made too many changes to the original game which in my eyes killed it and just made it unattractive to continuye playing. Anyway, I am looking forward to playing EQ 2 this weekend. Thanks for all of your help.
Unread 01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Glad we could help! Since your bandwith limit is daily, you should be able to play with the streaming patcher OK so long as you don't go into too many new zones (or see too many players with different armor) per day. Once you've downloaded a particular piece of data, you won't have to download it again (unless they change it for some reason, and art changes pretty much only happen with the quarterly Game Updates).

Enjoy!
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest

my son played on satelight as well and sorry to say this but the limit they place (hughes) isn't just what he downloads its all data. So everytime the game sends or receives singles from soe it will be considered into that limit. Hughes is the worse company anyone can go with.
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
my son played on satelight as well and sorry to say this but the limit they place (hughes) isn't just what he downloads its all data. So everytime the game sends or receives singles from soe it will be considered into that limit. Hughes is the worse company anyone can go with.
Well yes, if there's a limit on the total amount of data sent that includes the data sent as part of playing the game. ISP's don't and can't differentiate between types of data (at least not without DPI equipment).

On the other hand, even Satellite beats nothing if that's all you can get.
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:42 AM
A Brown Bear

After spending some time playing the game this weekend, I can honestly say that I had a blast. I did initially exceed my bandwidth downloading everything, but it was worth it.

Newbie's take:

So far at least where I was playing (Queens Colony), the lag appeared to be minimal for me (played different hours of the day too) and my fps ranged from about 26-60 with an overall average of ~42fps. Once I started playing, I never exceeded my bandwidth (the only new zone I had to dl was artisan workshop) and I played for a good 5-6 hours yesterday. It was also very easy to group with others to grind out xp and there was a decent amount of pvp'ing going on as well. I love to pvp so the fact that there were alot of people playing was something I welcome. I definitely wasn't used to seeing that with Vanguard for it has really died out now - hence why I am here.

Anyway, Sony did a really good job with the EQ2 (from what I can tell thus far) and I think I will go ahead and buy the game once my trial period is up.

PS: I have HughesNet and this co. is one of the few who were able to service my area to provide something better than dialup and I am a very happy customer.