EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 12-09-2010, 11:17 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Updater Feature Requests

I love ProfitUI, but I do not love the Updater. It works, but it ignores many of my standard Windows interface settings and it makes some bogus default choices. This makes it a real pain to use ProfitUI across multiple versions of EQ2 because changing the file path is so tedious. Now that I play Extended as well as regular EQ2 and EQ2 Test, it's even more tedious.

What I would like to see is the ability to save multiple paths so that I can quickly choose which one to update. If we can't do that, I'd like to be able to edit the current file path directly from the Updater File Paths window. And if we can't do that, at least have the updater default to the current file path when I click the Choose button.

I suppose I could write some workaround utility, but I would much rather spend my time testing and debugging someone else's code. After all, I'm a retired test engineer, not a retired programmer.

And thanks again for a great UI mod. I routinely go back to re-check the default UI when changes are announced, and I'm always delighted to be done with that and get back to ProfitUI.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Since I do not feel like touching it at the moment:

I keep several instances of EQ2 updated by just hardlinking the ProfitUI-Directory. You will just have to update one and every installation is using that directory then.
This works in Vista and 7. XP has some other toos for that.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

The command would be:

Code:
mklink /J c:\<second eq2 installation>\UI\ProfitUI c:\<first eq2 installation>\UI\ProfitUI

mklink /J c:\<third eq2 installation>\UI\ProfitUI c:\<first eq2 installation>\UI\ProfitUI
You would just have to update the first installation then and all the others will access that directory.
However please make sure the UI is set in all three eq2.ini.
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
I keep several instances of EQ2 updated by just hardlinking the ProfitUI-Directory. You will just have to update one and every installation is using that directory then.
This works in Vista and 7. XP has some other toos for that.
On XP see here, for example: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896768.aspx

And yeah, I used to do the same, you can even hard link large parts of the EQ2 installation when you create multiple installations.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:58 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Updater Feature Requests

Hmm. Never thought about using hardlinks. It should work, since it's pretty rare for one instance to be patched differently. I can always unlink an instance if I need to. Well, I'll try that out and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-= Therendil =-