EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 09-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default The Fae and the Female Player

As posted on the front page currently I wrote an articlet about The Fae and the Female Player. But, I realized I didn't post anywhere to discuss the article as a whole, not just questions to SOE.

Soooo please feel free to share your thoughts here.. Here are a few responses to emails I got who for the most part liked the article but had questions. (You can figure out the email from my answers, hehehe)

Answer:
Yes, I know not *all* women love faeries, I did mention that.

Answer:
I am sorry that I didn't include men who love faeries as well.

Answer:
No, I do not have a faerie tatoo, my wife has a dragon tatoo, does that count?

Soooo please feel free to discuss (and no, you don't have to ask me questions.. I was just combining those in from the emails I got.. hehehe)

Last edited by Kudane : 09-29-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

Server: Oggok

I really hope this brings in a new wave of females. Risking the wrath of our current ones I have to say I'm kinda tired of the dark elf cleric dramaqueens with "gothy" names - I long for some ordinary women who don't say "huggles" and "lol" every other word.

Bugrit - 64 Monk - 51 Tailor
Boznak - 64 Warden - 41 Provisioner

Founder and proud leader of: Alternate Reality
Bringing the lazy slackery back in the game.
Unread 09-29-2006, 08:50 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi
I really hope this brings in a new wave of females. Risking the wrath of our current ones I have to say I'm kinda tired of the dark elf cleric dramaqueens with "gothy" names - I long for some ordinary women who don't say "huggles" and "lol" every other word.
My (15 year old) sister is a "dark elf cleric dramaqueen". She's also a great healer, mature when it counts and I'd much rather someone who says "huggles" a lot and is a little over-friendly than someone who was rude. I think a lot of it has to do with age, is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by Praefic7 : 09-29-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

I'm sure she's great. I didn't mean to come off so harsh-sounding hehe. It's just that after seven years of MMO's I'm personally getting a wee bit tired of it. Again, it's not like I ignore everyone like that, I have plenty of friends who fit the bill - and I torment them daily.

Unread 09-29-2006, 11:29 AM
A Forest Scavenger

No problem, I agree that it can grate. I just think it's interesting that you picked her gender/class/race.
Unread 09-29-2006, 03:16 PM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

As a female gamer that has already invested two years of time into EQ2, I can't really say whether the fae race would make me try EQ2 if I never played, but I do feel that, were I taking one of my breaks from the game when EoF comes out, I would be more inclined to return to the game to check things out and try a fae. But I'm just as interested in the new content as I am in some cute "girly" type race.
Unread 09-29-2006, 06:12 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default Worried

I loved EQ1 very much, when i heared about EoF i was very excited. When I heared about the fae race my spirits went down again. EQ2 steadily became more comercial, roleplay elements faded, junk got added. I belive that a fae race is a junk race and will result in an even lower niveau of the game than before. I wish SOE would go back to the roots where good old Verant started. True solid beliveable Fantasy. Verant had style.

BTW. Anyone else here who prefered the original eq1 game style?
Unread 09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Cry Spoon!
Premium Member

I quite enjoy EQ2 in its current state. And I spent some six years playing EQ1. The Fae will be interesting and I can't wait to explore Kelethin and the Faydwer areas.

Unread 09-30-2006, 11:50 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

I left EQ2 for so many months to try out WoW and was greatly dissapointed. That game bored me very quickly. Mainly because I love to solo and like quests to level and enjoy the various storylines involved. That was not as plentiful, to say the least.
So, I have been randomly checking EQ2 forums and such to read about EoF. The actual Fae race is not all that appealing to me, but more like the Vah Shir where in Luclin expansion of EQ and Frogloks of EQ2. I am sure the Fae will be played greatly in beginning and diminish rather quickly. Yet, I am sure many of the remaining Fae will be female players, or males that love to play female races in games.
Unread 09-30-2006, 12:55 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Wink

Great artical. Granted I scanned it but couple of things I want to point out.

I am female, I am wierd, I have enough fairies in my real life I don't need them in game (being pagan and actually believing the fair folk helps hehe) However I do a a character slot saved for my very own fairy! The graphics are stunning and beautiful. I wonder if they Had Amy Brown help them with the original designs.

But oops tangent.

I want to say EQ2 has a large percentage of Real life women in game already, at least on my server (AB). You find us in the crafting channels for you lonely guys. I do hope this expansion will draw more, because it is lovely to play with other women! You have a good point about women and fairies (BLEH! hehe little trixsters all of them). I switched to eq2 recently and I do play other mmos still, but by and large eq2 has the largest and best female comminuty I have found. I think Sony is doing a good job on their market research, and targeting us *geeky* women more and more.

Hehehehe and cheer up guys you aren't the only ones who hear that line *you love that game more than me* don't worry I can't explain it any better than you can, but my kids abosuletly groan when the word Raid is mentioned in the house.

Wayward Wondermonk from Antonius Bayle
Unread 09-30-2006, 03:05 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Actually I am a male that has a fascination with Fae. I was taking a break from EQ2 and when I saw the screen shots I decided to come back. Also worth mentioning is that my wife is into faeries a great deal and I think if anything would get her into EQ2 it would be this.
Unread 10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redliner777
Also worth mentioning is that my wife is into faeries a great deal and I think if anything would get her into EQ2 it would be this.
That was a big part of why I started thinking about the article.
Unread 10-02-2006, 12:21 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cel
I loved EQ1 very much, when i heared about EoF i was very excited. When I heared about the fae race my spirits went down again. EQ2 steadily became more comercial, roleplay elements faded, junk got added. I belive that a fae race is a junk race and will result in an even lower niveau of the game than before. I wish SOE would go back to the roots where good old Verant started. True solid beliveable Fantasy. Verant had style.

BTW. Anyone else here who prefered the original eq1 game style?
Umm EQ1 degraded into exactly what you are talking about here with this quote... It started with Velious and spiraled downward for a long time. Shadows of Luclin had a glimmer of hope but that was dashed to dust with POP and everything afterwards.

And you are asking SoE to do something different? You should know better by now.

Vanguard may give you what you are asking for BUT remember, SoE has their claws already into it. I give it less then a year and they to exactly as they did to EQ1 and have begun doing to EQ2. Mark my words (and book mark this page). It'll happen. SoE doesn't know how to do anything else with the EQ line.

The Fae PC's pose no logical addition to the game. none. They are great to kill and that's about it. That will now be two goodly based races (frogs being the first, though yes i know they had always been planned) to be added to the game and none for the dark side. Ya ya... betrayal... blah blah... NOT the point. Though i am not sure what they would introduce as a counter-balance... and if someone begins to even think about typing Vampires, stick a fork in your eye.

Ah well... game on!
Unread 10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainaen
Umm EQ1 degraded into exactly what you are talking about here with this quote... It started with Velious and spiraled downward for a long time. Shadows of Luclin had a glimmer of hope but that was dashed to dust with POP and everything afterwards.

And you are asking SoE to do something different? You should know better by now.

Vanguard may give you what you are asking for BUT remember, SoE has their claws already into it. I give it less then a year and they to exactly as they did to EQ1 and have begun doing to EQ2. Mark my words (and book mark this page). It'll happen. SoE doesn't know how to do anything else with the EQ line.

The Fae PC's pose no logical addition to the game. none. They are great to kill and that's about it. That will now be two goodly based races (frogs being the first, though yes i know they had always been planned) to be added to the game and none for the dark side. Ya ya... betrayal... blah blah... NOT the point. Though i am not sure what they would introduce as a counter-balance... and if someone begins to even think about typing Vampires, stick a fork in your eye.

Ah well... game on!
Good v Evil races?

What does it matter. Race has very little non-RP inpact on your character. Yeah, in the beginning you might get 5 or 10 more points here and 5 or 10 less there than some other race, and in the beginning that matters. But at the end game (and in most of the game thats NOT the very beginning) those 5-10 points don't really do much at all. In fact, the max soft cap is independent of your race at 510 for L70s (490 for your 70 levels plus a base 20). Contrary to popular belief, the cap is not race-based but instead 510 max at L70 for everyone / every-race.

Races just add more RP and 'fun' into the game. There is nothing wrong with them whatsoever (besides maybe the fact that theres more models).

Classes is a whole 'nother story. But they're not adding any of those (and nor do they plan to ever, pretty much, and why should they, IMHO?).

To the OP/OT, I like the addition of Fae and the fact that it might make EQ2 more mainstream (especially in the female sector). It'll bring new people, some that like the game / genre and stay and become valuable assets to the community, and some that don't like it and will stop playing.

But there will still be those that get into the game because of it, which is a good thing IMHO. The only downside is that it will bring people in with perhaps the wrong expectations for the game, and those people will realize that its not all Fae

Last edited by lordebon : 10-02-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:53 AM
A Forest Scavenger

I don't see anything wrong with adding something pretty to the game. That's one of the things which sets EQ2 apart from the rest, the high level of "fluff" that give a greater sense of "world" and increase the roleplay opportunities.
Unread 10-04-2006, 09:05 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Befallen

I was thinking just the other day how a vampire race would be cool. I'd also want playable minotaurs, these could both be the new evil races.

As far as sticking a fork in my eye...well, i'll just leave it at that...

Quote:
...Though i am not sure what they would introduce as a counter-balance... and if someone begins to even think about typing Vampires, stick a fork in your eye. ...
Unread 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I've been playing MMO's for about...well, let's just say longer than I care to admit (does the 'cano and TSN ring bells for anyone?). And I'm definitely female. While the Fae race will be interesting, and I'll probably roll a Fae, I can't say they would bring me to the game or bring me back if I'd left.

My real burning question is this:

Will SOE step up to the plate and give us a different dress style? I mean really. EVERY dress is the same, just a different color. And while color is important, a change in style would be awesome. Not everyone wants poofy arms and slits up the front to their crotch. Or the "barely there" courtesan dress.

Come on, Sony, if you really want to draw women to the game, give us some variety to wear!
Unread 10-08-2006, 10:28 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Lordebon, you either fail to understand how VZ worked in EQ1 or are simply against following the rules set to govern the server. regardless, it goes deeper then the RP aspect of the game based on race / class. Judging by your comments and the lack of depth they portray, i am guessing you just don't know how VZ worked in EQ1.

As for a vampire race... vampires in EQ are same as vampires portrayed in movies like Blade or Interview... its not a race... its a disease infected being. There's no vampire race... Now i can see every goth-fanboy vamp-wannabe who hates the world for no appearant reason other then to make a statement about how individual and unique he is (and he is unique, just like everyone else) will add 2cp here but in the end, vamps are basically beings which have The HIV. A person infected with AIDS doesn't become a whole different race, do they? (correct answer is no). Neither does a race in EQ (or any world for that matter) infected with vampirism become a whole other race. They are simply infected. Plain. Simple. Period. So, here's your fork, you who want a vamp toon, either go do the bloodlines quest for the clicky or stab on. I expect either blind players or more vampire illusions to start showing up from here on out.

The Fae should be interesting. Though i do not forsee them changing the overall dress or adding the variety that Palomwen hope for, new designs always seem to appear with each expansion.

~ Game on!

Last edited by Shainaen : 10-08-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Unread 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM
A Griffon

There are many different types of Vampires, both from our own race's folklore and in EQ/EQ2. Vampires as creatures infected with a disease that causes them to thirst for blood is just one of many, many beliefs associated with this mythology. I'm sure most of us could do without your short-sighted opinion posing as facts, Shainaen, and there's really no reason to call anyone that might disagree with your view a "goth-fanboy vamp-wannabe". This is a discussion thread. You're the one that mentioned Vampires in the first place by the way. If you weren't interested in discussing the possibility of a Vampire-inspired playable race, being that we are already discussing the introduction of a new, mythologically inspired playable race, perhaps you should not have planted the idea at all. Just my 2cp.

I think that the Fae race is going to bring some much needed fun and whimsy to what some would consider a rather overly-serious game. Is that so wrong? Who exactly gets to decide what is acceptable, believable fantasy/roleplay elements, and what isn't? I feel that a true RPer should be able to bend their "reality" into whatever they want, incorporating whatever is thrown at them into their character's world. Exclusion isn't fun, and limiting my game world with preconceived notions based on how soandso did it right 7 years ago seems like more work than play. It's Roleplay not Roleprofession .
Unread 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Lordebon, you either fail to understand how VZ worked in EQ1 or are simply against following the rules set to govern the server. regardless, it goes deeper then the RP aspect of the game based on race / class. Judging by your comments and the lack of depth they portray, i am guessing you just don't know how VZ worked in EQ1.
No, sorry I did know how VZ worked on EQ1, and I knew how the ruleset was on the server (even if I didn't really spend much time on that server beyond giving it a short try -- PVP really isnt my style).

I was talking to the general, PVE crowd in my statement about the races. On PVE servers (the majority of the EQ2 servers) race does play very little role in the MECHANICS of the game. In fact, even on PVP in EQ2 race has a reduced impact, given that many races can start either way, and races can betray.

Please don't take this as a personal attack (and please don't make personal attacks -- its bad argumentive style), I'm just responding to your comments and justifying my own in the EQ2 universe.

I completely agree with you that race had a much large impact in EQ1 in VZ, and in EQ1 in general (it was very hard to "betray" say a Dark Elf and make them good -- much easier in EQ2).
Unread 10-14-2006, 03:16 AM
A Forest Scavenger

So he goes to the trouble of "enhancing" his argument with bold and italic fonts, yet is too lazy to capitalise his I's? Not only is it completely random to attack goths, but it's also offensive. You do realise that people of all walks of life play and enjoy EverQuest, don't you? Females, goths, old people. Settle down mate, it's just a game.
Unread 10-14-2006, 05:35 AM
A Berserk Golem

Trying not to hijack the thread but it was already off topic a bit. I want Brownie player characters!
Unread 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Coming from a female player here, and one who's been with EQ2 for it's full run (with no breaks in between) and played EQ vanilla for a couple years prior to that.. I have to say I'm in favor of any new content that gets added.

Anything that gives us the opportunity to be different from our neighbor. I can't say that the Fae race is specifically appealing to me (no more than any other race i've already created, played or created & re-rolled to something new). But it's new.

As the comment with the dresses - variety is the spice of life. As a T6 tailor, I find it impossible to accomplish anything with attempting to sell the fluff dress recipes they gave us. Give us variety - heck make some rare crafts. It's bad enough that every t7 (insert class) looks the same because we all wear the same armor.

I think collectively the majority of players be it women or men, don't want to be part of a pre-set mold this is why we play MMO's in the first place.

So give us change. For all the flamers and haters out there calling the fae a trash race, IMO they are no different then any of the other races. It's just a race. What fantasy world are you from that limits fantasy to a preset grid of allowed and not allowed. Fantasy by virtue, means imagination, extravagent and unrestrained. What is unrestrained by saying "this race doesn't belong"?

As for the pull of more women to the game.. sure it may do that.. I think overall the packaging of the software will have more of a hand in that however, being Vanilla EQ + all previous expansions are being thrown into the box. as well.