EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-31-2005, 08:43 AM
A Griffon

Server: Antonia Bayle
Thumbs Up My DREAM Mod - Possible?

I have installed a bunch of mods from this site and absolutely love them. I thought I'd pose a question here although I'm not sure if its really appropriate in terms of "UI" per se... One feature I've found lacking in the game is a button/key that will perform the default action on whatever is currently selected (e.g. Harvest for harvestable items, Hail for NPC, Attack for mob, etc.). The 'F' key will do a similar job, only as long as the mouse cursor is hovering over whatever you want to perform the task on. Could this glaring omission be solved by a UI mod or am I out of luck? Keep up the GREAT work!

Hrothgir Bloodshadow @ Everfrost
Unread 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

The mouse doesn't have to hover over the object to use the F key, you just have to have the object targeted. There is a glitch with harvests that causes it to drop from target occasionally. This is probably why you are having some issues. The command functions as well as it ever will, though.
Unread 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
A Griffon

Default Mouse Hover

I'm hoping its not me specifically whose F key functions this way (at least I know it is this way for my guildmates). The F key performs the default action for whatever the pointer is hovering over. Just to show I'm not crazy, I tried it a second ago on various types of targets, including NPCs, collection points, harvesting targets, shopkeepers, etc. I first target using whatever method (tab or the mouse) and then move the mouse pointer away from anything targetable. I then hit the F key and whatever I had selected is no longer selected. Now, I re-select the target and instead have the mouse pointer hovering the target. I now hit the F key and voila! the default action is executed. The functionality of the F key is tied to the location of the mouse pointer.

I am hoping there is some fix to de-link the functionality of the F key from the location of the mouse pointer. All I want the F key to do is perform the default action on the currently selected target. Any ideas?

Last edited by metavirus : 02-16-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Unread 01-31-2005, 03:25 PM
Steward of the Faithful
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metavirus
I'm hoping its not me specifically whose F key functions this way (at least I know it is this way for my guildmates). The F key performs the default action for whatever the pointer is hovering over. Just to show I'm not crazy, I tried it a second ago on various types of targets, including NPCs, collection points, harvesting targets, shopkeepers, etc. I first target using whatever method (tab or the mouse) and then move the mouse pointer away from anything targetable. I then hit the F key and whatever I had selected is no longer selected. Now, I re-select the target and instead have the mouse pointer hovering the target. I now hit the F key and voila! the default action is executed. The functionality of the F key is tied to the location of the mouse pointer.

I am hoping there is some fix to de-link the functionality of the F key from the location of the mouse pointer. All I want the F key to do is perform the default action on the currently selected target. Any ideas?
It's not just you. I think it works this way because some activatable items (i.e. mariner's bells, doors, etc) can't be selected. To be honest, the only default action I ever perform on targetable items is attack, and since that's already its own bindable I haven't looked into this issue too, too much.
Unread 01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
A Griffon

It's not just you metavirus, that's how it's supposed to work, ger was just mistaken in his first reply (or we misread). Basically, the problem is hitting F doesn't target what you have it over, and it untargets if it's over nothing; but we all got that now.

No, there isn't a way currently to do what you want, though I hope it's added also.

Quib
Unread 01-31-2005, 04:09 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
It's not just you metavirus, that's how it's supposed to work, ger was just mistaken in his first reply (or we misread). Basically, the problem is hitting F doesn't target what you have it over, and it untargets if it's over nothing; but we all got that now.

No, there isn't a way currently to do what you want, though I hope it's added also.

Quib
Psst, I think you mean Lange. I didn't say anything about it not needing mouseover to work.
Unread 01-31-2005, 04:23 PM
A Griffon

Default Thanks for replies

I figured it was probably a lost cause but hoped I was wrong. So the F key is basically worthless. :-(. I wonder if this is technically a "bug". What reason would the developers have had in mind for the F key to basically have the effect of a double-click? Thanks again for all your help.
Unread 01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by metavirus
I figured it was probably a lost cause but hoped I was wrong. So the F key is basically worthless. :-(. I wonder if this is technically a "bug". What reason would the developers have had in mind for the F key to basically have the effect of a double-click? Thanks again for all your help.
I use it a fair amount. While it mimics a double-click, it doesn't have latency issues like a physical double-click does. For opening doors while running, hitting the bell quickly, looting quickly between pulls, et cetera, it's invaluable. But you're right, it would be nice to have a "perform default action on target" key as well as a "perform default action at cursor" key.
Unread 01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
A Griffon

Agh! Sorry ger, I meant Lange.

Also, I use F (actually I remapped it to U sorta like in EQ1) instead of double-clicking. In fact I never double click.

Quib