EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Closed Thread
Unread 08-30-2007, 04:50 AM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Auto downloader and installer

Can you please tell me why your UI is the only one on this page that does not have an installer in it. Do you not know how to do it or does it cost you money to add the abilty. But every other one on here seems to have it so please see if you can not add that. I have tried for two days now to get your UI on the game. All I get is when I go to the UI folder is profit UI 3.4.8b and everyone that has that installed says that is right and it should run but does not??? I have been told yours is the best UI out there but for all this trouble I will believe it when I see it and it does not look like that will be soon. Could you help me with this please.
Unread 08-30-2007, 06:46 AM
A Griffawn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

if you open the ProfitUI 3.4.8b or whatever folder, you'll see a few files and a folder called UI... drop everything, including that folder into your EQ2 directory.
Unread 08-31-2007, 12:39 AM
A Rumbleroot Sapling

Server: Mistmoore

I originally used Thor b/c of the auto-updater but in reality it wasn't updated all that often so I searched out a new UI and fell in love with Profit.

When you download the zip file, extract it to c:\program files\sony\everquest 2\ (or where ever it is saved). The zip file will automatically distribute the files into the proper folders.

Each update doesnt need to be installed as well usually. I often go 3-4 releases before downloading them, but process is still the same and quite painless as your character INI files saves the location of the windows and hotkeys.

When you go into game then /loadui to choose Profit. (edit by gm9: he means /load_uisettings, forget that you heard about /loadui ) Then choose the resolution you are running and it will pretty much be set up. For me that is much more convenient then an auto-updater as I spent forever getting my thor windows configured hehe.

Post up if you need some more help!

Last edited by gm9 : 08-31-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 08-31-2007, 01:35 AM
A Sea Turtle
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw
Red face

I could easily create an installation package using installshield to install profitui (it'd show up in add/remove programs as uninstallable program, even it is just a punch of xml files in eq2 directory), but like stated by posters above its pretty straightforward thing to install the ui ; just rename the old profitui directory in ui directory and extract using folder names the new package to the ui directory after that.

Other solution would be ofcourse to create an updater like one for eq2map, which would check the files from dedicated web server, compare their checksums and download the file to client if different than from the server. There's even source code for that downloader and should it be pretty easy to port it to work for profitui (which is my favorite ui as well). But if author goes to that way, to support this kind of way to update the ui, it'll need hosting service for the files, and considering the amount of users, and bandwidth needed I bet its not gonna be cheap to host such service, albeit it'd be neat to update the ui.
Unread 09-01-2007, 03:56 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Installation packages are useless - I mean I could just make a self-extracting archive which picks the EQ2 path from the registry, but what is the point. Nevertheless there is one that appeared yesterday.

On the bright side Kaldran just wrote a very simple auto-downloader for ProfitUI and once this has been tweaked a little I might be giving it a try. Bandwidth requirements would be a killer if all current users would download their entire UI with it at once, but assuming that most people already have most of the files and that not all will use the auto-downloader the bandwidth needed could possibly be handled. Remains to be seen though. Oh and no ETA, don't ask.

Last edited by gm9 : 09-01-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Unread 09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

If you can't get Profit working after by reading the directions, it's probably best that you just stick with the default UI. One of these days, your autodownloader for FOTM UI will crash and you'll be completely at a loss as to how to fix it.
Unread 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaian View Post
If you can't get Profit working after by reading the directions, it's probably best that you just stick with the default UI. One of these days, your autodownloader for FOTM UI will crash and you'll be completely at a loss as to how to fix it.
While I agree it is usually best to stick to KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid - another truth is that if you have nothing nice to say then better say nothing at all. At least now the thread ended the same way it started.

~Closed~
Closed Thread