EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 12-21-2008, 11:08 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unrest
Default Deathfist Citadel map fog oddness

Last night we were in DFC, and I noticed an oddity with the map fog. Instead of the normal black fog layer, it was white/cream with the EQ2Map Modular Atlas Project banner centered in it. The map was still there, the fog layer was clearing as we moved around, but I've never seen that fog layer before. The overland maps seemed unaffected, the fog layer in Zek was still tan for instance.
Unread 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Isn't it neat!
Unread 12-21-2008, 02:47 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

tknarr knows lots of pretty names for colors, but seems he doesn't like my purdy fog layer. I didn't like the black fog though. We'd eventually want to add a "tan" one for every zone where we can but there is still some discussion on implementation/deployment.
Unread 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
tknarr knows lots of pretty names for colors, but seems he doesn't like my purdy fog layer. I didn't like the black fog though. We'd eventually want to add a "tan" one for every zone where we can but there is still some discussion on implementation/deployment.
Not so much don't like as was suprised to see something sudden and unexpected. It looks a lot like the "there's no map for this zone" graphic, my first thought was that there was a glitch in the mapstyle for that zone. It's also kind of hard to distinguish the fog from the normal background color of that map, they're a very similar shade. IMO that's one big criteria for the fog layer: it should be easy to tell the areas of the map you haven't cleared from the ones that're just empty.

I do miss the remove-fog plug-in.
Unread 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

The current fog image is 25% darker than the normal map, but I guess I could darken it even further. Looks good on my system but screens vary, contrast might be worse on others.

Regarding the remove fog plugin I know of no way to remove fog on the fly due to the way it is being rendered in the new map system now (there are no separate layers). You could permanently "remove" it from custom zones by setting the zone image as the fog image. But that is basically what you will have with the "tan" fog as well.
Unread 12-21-2008, 05:44 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
The current fog image is 25% darker than the normal map, but I guess I could darken it even further. Looks good on my system but screens vary, contrast might be worse on others.

Regarding the remove fog plugin I know of no way to remove fog on the fly due to the way it is being rendered in the new map system now (there are no separate layers). You could permanently "remove" it from custom zones by setting the zone image as the fog image. But that is basically what you will have with the "tan" fog as well.
I've noticed with the fog. I still miss the capability, but I didn't think there was any way to do it now. Except maybe to make the fog layer partially translucent, I'm not sure whether that would work or not.

I can always change the fog graphic to be solid black if I get bothered enough by the light-colored one.
Unread 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
Except maybe to make the fog layer partially translucent, I'm not sure whether that would work or not.
No you can't as there is no separate fog layer, it is all rendered as a single image by the MapControl widget. If you were thinking of alpha transparency of the image, that is being ignored, was one of the first things I tested.
Unread 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
No you can't as there is no separate fog layer, it is all rendered as a single image by the MapControl widget. If you were thinking of alpha transparency of the image, that is being ignored, was one of the first things I tested.
You know, you'd almost think SOE was trying to prevent anybody from getting around the fog...
Unread 12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Server: Antonia Bayle

Man.... buggy software is buggy software. This stuff needs to be SLICK and CLEAN 4 years after launch
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:39 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumstix42 View Post
Man.... buggy software is buggy software. This stuff needs to be SLICK and CLEAN 4 years after launch
I could have sworn Landiin wrote this if I hadn't seen your name next to it.
Unread 12-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

I'm lost...