EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown
Default Streaming Client Issues

So I am experiencing bad luck with the streaming client. It stalls in the game which causes me to reboot my computer and now I noticed last night it is not fully updating via the (streaming client) patcher. It will download the game - display the 'Play' button, but when I click on the button it starts trying to download the game update again. I chatted with a Sony Techie about this last night and he advised me to turned off my firewall, uninstall Norton 2010, and updated my ports with the correct info for EQ2. I did all of this last night and the game is STILL not updating.

However, I should add that when the Streaming Client WAS working - everything seemed to be working very well. It was just with either receiving updates in the game (sometimes that stalled on me) or this current issue which is highly frustrating.

I was wondering if I order the game through Sony (via CD), does it come with all (or most) game updates installed? Or am I back to square one trying to figure out how to get play EQ with my current configuration (satellite internet).

Thanks in advance!

'Zete

Last edited by amszete : 04-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Thats the thing with the streaming client is it down loads what it need to get u into the game so to speak then downloads more once you are somewhat in.

I Stopped using all but the station launcher. It works great for me and also lets me chat with my friends in game if I am just modding or surfing the web and not playing eq2.
Unread 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
Thats the thing with the streaming client is it down loads what it need to get u into the game so to speak then downloads more once you are somewhat in.

I Stopped using all but the station launcher. It works great for me and also lets me chat with my friends in game if I am just modding or surfing the web and not playing eq2.
Irrelevent to the OP's issue -- today there is some odd issue where the streaming patcher is not properly updating a specific file. Close the streaming patcher and delete the following 2 files from your eq2 directory: dbghelp.dll and dbghelp.dll.part

When you open it again, it will redownload that file once and then you should be able to get in game.

I've tried all 3 patchers currently available, and the one I like the most is the streaming patcher. Yeah you download things in-game as needed, but that happens primarily the first time you go in a zone, and even then it adds only a short wait if you have anything near a decent connection. The initial download of < 1 gig is so much better than downloading the entire game for a fresh install, in my opinion.
Unread 04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
A Brown Bear

You have that right! Streaming client is nice for people who are now just entering the game. Even on a satellite connection I can still pvp pretty well.

I also just got the same information from Sony (to delete those two files). I will give that a shot when I get home tonight. THANKS for the quick replies!

'Zete
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Not me, I've booted people from groups because of them having to download the zone to zone in. Not worth it to me, just download the game and be done with it.

But really its the other bonus over the standard patchers i like. Like being able to not be in game and still chat with my eq2 buddies.

But it all goes down to personal preference in the end.
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
Not me, I've booted people from groups because of them having to download the zone to zone in. Not worth it to me, just download the game and be done with it.

But really its the other bonus over the standard patchers i like. Like being able to not be in game and still chat with my eq2 buddies.

But it all goes down to personal preference in the end.
Yeah, it's definitely a preferences thing. I'm curious as to how long it took them to download the zone; I think a lot of that depends on their connection. With my home wireless, I can zone in with downloading the zone before someone on a regular connection running a regular patcher gets in. ((and that's one reason I like it)).
Unread 04-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

I don't recall how long it took. I know they warned us before zoning in, and it was one of the newer zones in SF. We cleared up to the quest updates they still wasn't in, so I did the ******* thing and booted em and got someone else.
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:36 PM
A Brown Bear

Again, I really don't have a choice with what launcher I use. I am pretty much forced to use the Streaming client which works fine. I am on a satellite connection (only internet available for me). It is pretty quick for me though for I can download a new zone like the Commonlands within about 5-8mins (if that). The only downside to the connection type is that I am limited to a daily download of 375MB which is very tough to get used to. Also before looking into the Streaming client as a way to get started with the game, I originally asked a Sony agent if they provided the game with most (if not all) updates available. The person I spoke with said that it would be a full blown out download still so that was a huge barrier to entry for me.

I could be wrong here, but that also may be a huge reason why Sony expended the energy to even develop the concept of a streaming client. So I hope I am misunderstanding the deal here that someone posted within this thread that SOE admins are booting players out of servers/etc. because of how they are connecting to the game. I probably just read the post wrong so I will stop there...
Unread 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amszete View Post
I could be wrong here, but that also may be a huge reason why Sony expended the energy to even develop the concept of a streaming client.
I think it was something they were easily able to port over from FreeRealms (That game only streams). So I doubt they expended very much energy at all making it work on EQ2. I do agree its annoying having people in group that use it but for some people they don't have a choice.

If you order the CD from SOE they are very outdated. Things change so often in MMO's that by the time they press a CD and get it to distribution I'd say 70% of the files hace changed again. This is really true with any MMO.

Last edited by Dolby : 04-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
I think it was something they were easily able to port over from FreeRealms (That game only streams). So I doubt they expended very much energy at all making it work on EQ2. I do agree its annoying having people in group that use it but for some people they don't have a choice.

If you order the CD from SOE they are very outdated. Things change so often in MMO's that by the time they press a CD and get it to distribution I'd say 70% of the files hace changed again. This is really true with any MMO.
Yeah, during development of it Autenil posted that the base code for FreeRealms served as the inspiration (and a place to grab ideas / code from) for EQ2's streaming patcher.
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
A Brown Bear

The two adjustments you guys suggested definitely worked and I was up and playing in no time. Thanks again - I heard from the board on what to do to take care of this situation before the SOE agents were able to let me know!