EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 02-09-2005, 01:24 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Thanks for the praise! Hope you're enjoying using it as much as we're enjoying making it.

1) Go into the window options and adjust the window opacity. Or do you mean something else?
2) You deduced correctly, we're sorta working our way up. Heck, I'm level 24 and don't have access to anywhere yet.

Quib
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Server: Antonia Bayle

World map with linkage opinion time:

The world map kind of sucks because there are 8 different bell routes on it, 2 of which are one-way. I tried signifying each route first, but that's so confusing as to be useless. I'm attaching a JPG of the best version I could think of to handle the zone linkages. Let me know what you all think. (Yes, I did the Freeport and Qeynos Voyage by Sea bells in the same color. Since they're one-way and noted as origin/destination it shouldn't matter in terms of pathing)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	world_map.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	1131  
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
A Griffon

That doesn't appear to be too convoluted or confusing. It took just a second for me to figure out the bell symbols, and they're well done as well.

If you feel repositioning area names is necessary/would help, feel free to do so, otherwise, I think it's quite good.

Quib

Edit: Attached some XML for ger to work with, I suggest other people not getting this code yet as it's still in it's early stages of development.
Attached Files
File Type: zip map_rev_4_1.zip (35.6 KB, 207 views)
File Type: zip map_rev_4_2.zip (32.9 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by Quib : 02-09-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Unread 02-09-2005, 05:54 PM
A Coastal Crab

First of all... Very nice addition. This is a MUCH better solution than the log reader/external map location program that I was trying to do.

I would suggest that you move the project (for the developers) to a CVS version control system. I don't know if you could put this under Sourceforge or not, but it would be a good idea to put it under some sort of version control if a lot of people are going to have there hands in the project.
Unread 02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown

We have a nice version control system of our own, each developer posts his updates as they are done, and Quib is responsible for putting everything together for the release as they are posted. Haven't missed anything yet.
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Speaking of version control, really final city map overlays. For real this time. Added sewer link icons and commonlands/antonica link icons, including traitor's gate identifier for relevant zones. I'll post the world map version sometime tonight or early tomorrow. (Read: once I finish totally redoing the DDS and getting the icon placement right)

P.S. Quib, check out the alpha channels—I think I'm finally getting comfortable enough with it to get fancy.

Edit: I'll also be posting a new version of the optional icon pack sometime shortly after I finish the world map, redone using my newfound alpha channel skills. The new version should get rid of that annoying white border around the icons. Rawr!
Attached Files
File Type: zip city_overlays_rev_3.zip (14.8 KB, 216 views)
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM
A Griffon

The anti-aliasing on the connection lines is very nice (erm, you know, the varying strength in the alpha channel for them). Also, I want to praise you on the XML, you matched my "style" of XML formatting exactly. I'm probably gonna tweak the visibility toggle buttons a little but other than that, I didn't/won't have to touch the XML. Oh, also I'm gonna throw in a <!-- Created by ger --> in them up at the top.

Quib
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Steward of the Faithful

World map overlays. Had to reposition the labels for Qeynos and Freeport slightly to avoid having to do one overlay for the green labels and one for the red labels, but other than that the label positioning is unchanged from the original.

New optional area map icons coming shortly.

As for the anti-aliasing, it's actually relatively simple to do. Create the image as you want it to appear using Photoshop's integral antialiasing. Copy non-transparent portions to a new document with a black background. Do a color replacement for each color, first setting Lightness to +100, then again setting it to -(100 - desired_transparancy_percent). Flatten the resulting image and copy it into the alpha channel of the final image. "Clean up" photoshop's anti-aliasing in the final image by selecting all transparent areas, inverting selection, and flood filling with whatever the apropriate solid color is. Okay…it sounds a lot harder than it is when it's spelled out like that, but it's really not too tough. (You may have known how to do it already, but I assume since I didn't there are others that didn't, so I figure I'll share the love)
Attached Files
File Type: zip world_overlay_rev_2.zip (6.0 KB, 203 views)
Unread 02-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Optional PoI icons, no more annoying whitish anti-aliasing artifacts.
Attached Files
File Type: dds icon_map3.dds (64.1 KB, 202 views)
Unread 02-09-2005, 10:29 PM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: Everfrost

First great job on the icons Ger only I noticed you used the old dds file with the circle instead of the one to show direction facing on the map(ie the triangle). Being the typical male and never asking for directions I liked knowing which way I was facing when I mean if I ever got turned around and lost.
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:14 PM
A Griffon

Look closer UmbraNemo, the arrow's there, it's the red block to the circle's right. He just drew the arrow in the alpha channel.

Quib
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
Look closer UmbraNemo, the arrow's there, it's the red block to the circle's right. He just drew the arrow in the alpha channel.

Quib
Yup. I got lazy, did all the real work in the alpha channel since all of the icons are just a single color anyway. Didn't seem to be much point in having to draw everything twice.
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
aka Mook

Server: Nektulos

Hey all. I know I haven't really contributed anything since this got off the ground, but I've got a big favor to ask:

This is a little demo model I changed from the version I had on my hard drive. The window isn't resizable, so there's not much reason for the frame to add all that deadspace. The original size was 484x597. This is 442x554. That's 15% deadspace, or 44,080 pixels removed.

If we can remove as much deadspace and visual frillies around the map and controls as we can without hurting the map, that would be fantastic. Or if you're working on making it so people can make their own map windows with a few <include>s, even better.

I'll grab the latest build and make the changes myself, if you'll use it.

Keep up the great work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MookStyleMap.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1142  

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 02-09-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Unread 02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
Or if you're working on making it so people can make their own map windows with a few <include>s, even better.
Hehe, that's exactly what's planned. I've already specifically broken off the titlebar and frame (well, backdrop too) so they can be modded seperately. You'll probably have to use a couple OnHide/OnShow's to resize the window this way, but it shouldn't be too cumbersome for the person who discovered OnEvent functionality and should be able to get the exact results you want.

My goal is to have the main release to not deviate from the default map window size or style, but to allow mods to change the style without changing the main map file.

Quib

Last edited by Quib : 02-09-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:03 AM
aka Mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quib
Hehe, that's exactly what's planned...

...My goal is to have the main release to not deviate from the default map window size or style, but to allow mods to change the style without changing the main map file.

Quib
Excellent. I'll be keeping an eye out for that version when all the <Include> structure is finalized.

Got a request change now, though, that will make my job a lot easier when the time comes.

You'll have to add a parent. or Overlays. to most of your script commands, but can you move the selectable POI/Multi-level pages (QM_Map_Selection, TM_antonica_east, TM_antonica_west, etc.) to a subpage that's the same location and size as the main MapPage page? That way I won't have to update my scripts whenever a new one is added.

Again, I'm willing to make all the changes to the lastest version myself, if you'll use it.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 02-10-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:09 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbane27
Got a request change now, though, that will make my job a lot easier when the time comes.

You'll have to add a parent. or Overlays. to most of your script commands, but can you move the selectable POI/Multi-level pages (QM_Map_Selection, TM_antonica_east, TM_antonica_west, etc.) to a subpage that's the same location and size as the main MapPage page? That way I won't have to update my scripts whenever a new one is added.
Consider it done. I'm splitting the file up now (just starting on the map icon pages) so what you're asking is a pretty small change in comparison. Also good thinking. Glad you already saw that as a potential problem.

Quib
Unread 02-10-2005, 12:16 AM
aka Mook

Thanks a lot, Quib.

I'll try to get more involved in this and think of ways to help out. If you've got anything you want me to do or look into, I'm at your service.
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM
A Coastal Crab

Default Well, change of underwear

I met a real ******* in-game today (big surprise, there are alot of them).
Very nice to come here and see this EXCELLENT project being done.
That kinda nullifies that ass I met today.

Thanks alot! I mean it!
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:32 AM
A Griffon

You're welcome benrangel! and thank you very much for the praise. ^_~

I'm about 25% done modularizing the map icon pages. It's quite a bit more tedious than I expected. No one offer help or anything, it's something I gotta just buckle down and get done and there's really no way to divide up the work without confusion. The good news is, I'll be done tomorrow evening and will probably go ahead and do our 3rd official release so people who want to mod the window style can have at it.

Quib
Unread 02-10-2005, 01:37 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

could you post an example of an <Icon> line that has everything set the way you want it in the order you want it so that i can use that format for the thing i am writing to generate the xml that should *hopefully* be integrated into the map site soon

Last edited by taco-man : 02-10-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Unread 02-10-2005, 02:02 AM
A Griffon

I'll use code tags, but it might add random spaces. I'll also paste in a line without code tags (as long as it doesn't make the thread scroll far right) to hopefully clarify where spaces are and aren't).
Code:
<Icon IconStyle="MOB" IconType="map" Location="191,196" Name="MOBviciousbadgers" pathfindlocation="947, 0, -352" ScrollExtent="10,10" Size="10,10" Tooltip="Vicious Badgers" TreatAsButton="true" OnHoverIn="Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocText.LocalText=pathfindlocation Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocPath.pathfindlocation=pathfindlocation"/>
<Icon IconStyle="MOB" IconType="map" Location="191,196" Name="MOBviciousbadgers" pathfindlocation="947, 0, -352" ScrollExtent="10,10" Size="10,10" Tooltip="Vicious Badgers" TreatAsButton="true" OnHoverIn="Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocText.LocalT ext=pathfindlocation Parent.Parent.Parent.Parent.WC_Titlebar.QM_LocEntry.QM_LocPath.pathfindlocation= pathfindlocation"/>

That's a good example of what a complete icon line looks like. IconStyle is what it looks like, IconType is so pahfindlocation will draw a find trail, pathfindlocation is standardized as "###.##, ###.##, ###.##" where the commas and spaces are important for uniformity. Notice there's a Tooltip but no LocalTooltip to cut down on file size bloating. The OnHoverIn passes the pathfindlocation to the Path Finder.

Quib
Unread 02-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Speaking of IconStyle, if the display icons by selected type idea gets off the ground you might want to consider adding a new IconStyle: markable. I know, usually those items aren't hugely useful, but they're fun.
Unread 02-10-2005, 04:56 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

But finding those markable objects on your own gives a certain sense of adventure...
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:37 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown

Quib, one thing we have to get knocked out sooner rather than later is separate xml files for each zone's icon page. We really dont wanna generate a .4 meg file (and only getting bigger) from the web

as soon as that gets knocked out, we should be generating dynamic xmls constantly,

worry not tony, I might not be adding the POI's like we used to but I'm trying to save us ALL the hassle
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:42 PM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloa
Quib, one thing we have to get knocked out sooner rather than later is separate xml files for each zone's icon page. We really dont wanna generate a .4 meg file (and only getting bigger) from the web

as soon as that gets knocked out, we should be generating dynamic xmls constantly,

worry not tony, I might not be adding the POI's like we used to but I'm trying to save us ALL the hassle
Ehehe, don't worry about that first part; I'm now 50% done splitting the icon pages off into their own XMLs. I still can't believe how tedious and time-consuming the process really is. I should be done in a couple hours.

Quib