EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 10-31-2004, 06:54 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Default Kudane's "ooopsy" on Sat 10/30

For those of you who have sent me a PM asking why i havent been in EQ2 Friday or Sat, here is what happen:

Friday I got this bright idea that I would add an external HDD to capture video too while using Fraps. After all I spent 30$ to get the full version, I really should use it more.

Well.............2 days, four trips to Frys Electronics later..

First trip to Frys: I get 250gig HDD and a NexStar Enclosure. The HDD enclosure would not see my 250gig drive.

Second trip to Frys: Return enclosure for another one that says "up to 300 gigs". This one has USB 2.0 AND SATA out. So I get home.. I spend 5 hours Friday night trying to get the HDD not to lockup when I open it. I ended up rolling my USB drivers back to Jan 03 before it would work effectively. Search the web for a PCI card with external SATA. I find one online at Frys

Third Trip to Frys: buy the SATA PCI adapter card. I go home put it in, and in the process of trying to get it to see the drive, (Here is the big OOPSY) I get in such a hurry when i go to turn it on one time, that instead of doing "left hand hits the power switch in the back, right hand hits the front button after" I hit the right hand first. and JUST as the power starts to blink on (because I had left it on last flip), my right hand completes its task and Flips the switch in the back. And POOF no more power. After letting it sit for 10 mins I got it to power up again. BUT everytime I shut it off I had to wait 10-15 mins for something to reset. On top of that, I still cant get this stupid SATA external card to work so I gamble that its the Mother Board that is having powering on issues (I was right for once, woot), and if I am going to have to replace it. I will damn well get one with SATA and skip this PCI card crap. I can move the HDD inside my case and be done with it.

Fourth trip to Frys: (in two days mind you) I return the enclosure and PCI card and get a NEW MB (MSI KT6V-7021) and a UATA (ultra ATA) to SATA (Serial ATA) converter to put on the IDE hard drive i want to use for motion capture. total price difference: $5.43. Not to shabby if I do say so myself.

To make this very long ramble a little shorter. the disassembly and re-assembly took me about an hour, getting it to work right after that took nearly 6 more hours. Here is the kicker: What was holding it up for the last 4 hours was the stupid HDD jumper! It needed to off entirely and I had left it on "Master" from when I had it in the external enclosure!

SOOOOO. learn from me, dont turn your power on and off to quickyl And if you decided to to a SATA configuration, remember to take the jumper off the "master/slave" pin!

Kudane
Unread 10-31-2004, 07:09 AM
A Rumbleroot Sapling

Server: Blackburrow

This goes all the way back to troubleshooting step one....

1) Make sure the system is plugged in properly
Unread 10-31-2004, 10:36 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Beta 1
Default let me in the club also

lol, I replaced two drives, a power supply, and a ribbon connector, once. lol
Oh and We had a client pay us 65$ toplug in his power cord to make the printer work lol.
Unread 10-31-2004, 11:27 AM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle

Hey Kudane I love Frys! You must live near me cos I know they are only around the Cali bay area, so where you at? Gotta love Frys though, I bought all my parts there when I built myself my current computer.
Unread 10-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampDude
Hey Kudane I love Frys! You must live near me cos I know they are only around the Cali bay area, so where you at? Gotta love Frys though, I bought all my parts there when I built myself my current computer.
Frys is all the way from California to Texas. I have been to the one in Las Vegas, Dallas, Pheonix, and here in Los Angeles.
Unread 10-31-2004, 02:48 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

So is the "Kudane" Ogre running around on Beta 1 yours?
Unread 10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle

Ah sweet, I didnt know. Im in Santa Cruz, about an hour from San Jose. Gotta love sunny CA huh?
Unread 10-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarria
So is the "Kudane" Ogre running around on Beta 1 yours?
maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe

hhehe
Unread 11-01-2004, 09:30 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I'm the darkelf on the isle of refuge that gave you the goblin parts.