Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 05-01-2005, 02:00 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Neriak
Default Modular UI

Submitted for discussion:

I've noticed tons of different UIs, each with their own style and visual appearance. I haven't actually tried Zonx's UI, but his sounds like the closest to what I'm suggesting here - a modular UI.

What I'd like to see is a basic UI set that consolidates all aspects of the UI into two major areas: Function and Appearance.

Appearance: This UI could have plugins made for it that change the entire visual aspect of the UI - if someone wants to make Vert style graphics, boom they can do it - if someone else wants a nature style with leaves around the windows, they can make that style.

Function: This aspect would describe the actual function of each window in the UI. For example, one function plugin might look like Humudce's XP bar, while another might look like FetishXPTurbo.

There would have to be somewhat strict guidelines set up for the construction of the base UI - I imagine lots of <include>'s and interdependancy. And then, each UI window would need a default style as a base for other authors to make plugins to modify them.

Basically, I'm thinking about a system that would be able to provide both a full UI visual change for users, without altering their UI function - or vice-versa. A mix-and-match of function and style.

What does everyone think? Am I being too optimistic? Has this already pretty much been done somewhere that I don't know about?

I don't have a lot of experience with modding EQ2 - all I've done is played with the chat windows a little bit, and modded the maintained spells window a couple of times - but I have TONS of experience making modularized interfaces for lots of different things. I helped on a project called Litestep that was a modular UI for Windows; worked on IceSphere, which was another UI for Windows; made an instant messenger client; fully developed a modular bot for IRC...

That is not to toot my horn, but to demonstrate that while I don't have much EQ2 modding experience, I am good at making modular interfaces

Last edited by Killarny : 05-01-2005 at 02:04 PM.
Unread 05-01-2005, 02:32 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
Submitted for discussion:

I've noticed tons of different UIs, each with their own style and visual appearance. I haven't actually tried Zonx's UI, but his sounds like the closest to what I'm suggesting here - a modular UI.

What I'd like to see is a basic UI set that consolidates all aspects of the UI into two major areas: Function and Appearance.

Appearance: This UI could have plugins made for it that change the entire visual aspect of the UI - if someone wants to make Vert style graphics, boom they can do it - if someone else wants a nature style with leaves around the windows, they can make that style.

Function: This aspect would describe the actual function of each window in the UI. For example, one function plugin might look like Humudce's XP bar, while another might look like FetishXPTurbo.

There would have to be somewhat strict guidelines set up for the construction of the base UI - I imagine lots of <include>'s and interdependancy. And then, each UI window would need a default style as a base for other authors to make plugins to modify them.

Basically, I'm thinking about a system that would be able to provide both a full UI visual change for users, without altering their UI function - or vice-versa. A mix-and-match of function and style.

What does everyone think? Am I being too optimistic? Has this already pretty much been done somewhere that I don't know about?

I don't have a lot of experience with modding EQ2 - all I've done is played with the chat windows a little bit, and modded the maintained spells window a couple of times - but I have TONS of experience making modularized interfaces for lots of different things. I helped on a project called Litestep that was a modular UI for Windows; worked on IceSphere, which was another UI for Windows; made an instant messenger client; fully developed a modular bot for IRC...

That is not to toot my horn, but to demonstrate that while I don't have much EQ2 modding experience, I am good at making modular interfaces
Sounds like a good venture. If you start anywhere, get the FetishFramework. Zonx took all the gobbledygook and condensed it into a few XML files. Fetish pretty much ensures that you can install different *themes* by just loading new images and only a few XMLs. Pretty much what I think you are getting at would be a good *start* with FetishFramework. Saved me a lot of time, really. The only thing I had to do, besides converting the graphics with the ReVert is custom windows now, like the knowledge and player stuff. I'd be happy to pitch in for a project like this. The only think I see as a problem (right now) would be HUD interfaces, like the Tye Jae variations. You've got my support!
Unread 05-01-2005, 02:34 PM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

The FetishFramework is designed to do this.

95% of the entire UI can be reskinned by changing a handfull of images and 1 Styles file. Any functional mods skined for Fetish will be updated with the new skin. Theres already a couple alternate themes available with more on the way

Since most grphics and style have been consolodated into their own namespace, default style and images from SOE aren't affected, which minimizes breakage when SOE make changes.