EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 10-23-2004, 05:00 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Server: Najena

Quote:
Originally Posted by guice

Heck, I can't even log in now due to the infamous "Creating entities" stuck bug that's currently pledging the forums.
Thats a driver problem with Directx. I had the same problem yesterday after the maintenance. Which put in the newest directx enhancements. I put brand new video card drivers and viola.

Try and do that. Mine works fine now.

DaVamp
Unread 10-23-2004, 05:44 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampiro
Thats a driver problem with Directx. I had the same problem yesterday after the maintenance. Which put in the newest directx enhancements. I put brand new video card drivers and viola.

Try and do that. Mine works fine now.

DaVamp
I have the lasted nVidia drivers.
Unread 10-23-2004, 07:45 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampiro
Send me a PM.

Maybe they have you the wrong download URL. You cant find the url or is the download just not working correctly?
Nah, that's not it. I have direcway for highspeed internet(all I can get out where I live other than dial up). and they got this stupid Fair Access Policy that prevents me from downloading a little more than 200mb a day and can't do nothing about it. I'd drop them if there was a alternate highspeed I could use but there's not. I'm currently at 1gb on the download, MAYBE I'll be able to play in a week from now I'm hoping at least.
Unread 10-24-2004, 12:14 AM
A Brown Bear

Talking

Hope so too
Unread 10-24-2004, 01:12 AM
A Griffon

I'm in beta... and I dont think its rdy personally. I say give it one more month. The rest of things should smooth out by then.

Btw... anyone know if they increased exp earned on beta so people could play all the levels and give feedback? I'm leveling at a pretty quick rate.
Unread 10-24-2004, 05:56 AM
A Rumbleroot Sapling

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
I have the lasted nVidia drivers.
Re-install DirectX

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

And just to be sure Nvidia's are at

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Version: 61.77
Release Date: July 27, 2004
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:09 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

I updated my VIA drivers and installed the Omega nVidia drivers, I was able to get pass the issue now. I still think there's something SOE can do to fix that though.

Btw, the Date seems pretty firmed. There's reports from actual employees of these retailers saying they were told *directly from SOE* to up the date to Nov 9th. There's almost no way SOE can back down now w/out getting some massive greifs from the retailers (and the last thing you want to do is piss off your retail supply).

Smedly didn't deny it, which you would expect them to do. Instead he just said we'll be told "soon". My guess is at the Fan Fair they'll announce Nov 9th Release (you know, big "Just over a week left!" bash).

I've already decided I'm not playing this game on retail. *If* I log in, it will be for 1 month subscription and just enough to tide me over until the release of WoW (I'd play WoW now, but honestly I'm pleased enough and rather keep new things "unknown").
Unread 10-24-2004, 12:13 PM
A Brown Bear

I got the email from Gamestop also, from what little I've seen from a friend who's in Beta, the gameplay seems smooth enough and the bugs that we've found (with the exception of one of the Quenos quests) hardly seem to interfere with the overall smoothness of the game. I'll definatly be playing on release I just wish I could get in on the action beforehand.
Unread 10-24-2004, 01:24 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Have Any doubt now?

Quote:
A note to the Beta Testers

Smed
SOE Management

Viewed 164 times

First and foremost, thanks for helping us test EQ2. We're getting great feedback and you're helping us find and fix problems at a very rapid rate.

I wanted to address a couple of concerns:

1) Login - these issues should be completely gone in the next few days. Sorry for the problems, but simply put there were problems that needed addressing.. and addressing them caused some bugs.. those will be gone quickly.

2) Lag - it's really 2 zones atm.. it's Antonica and Commonlands. The team has made great strides in this area..and they have some big stuff coming in within the next few days that we hope is really going to get things back to normal. It's gotten a lot better, but we see it too (we're all playing EQ 2 all the time). This will go away before we launch. Please also understand that we have very deliberately been running the servers at what we consider to be the maximum capacity. In the next day or so we'll add another server or two to the list that players can go to. This should help a lot since as we let in a lot of new people we won't be seeing them all go in to the existing ones. Our strategy here is a simple one - to keep the servers stressed out to make sure we address server performance issues. At launch we will have a significant number of servers, so in and of itself this should help a great deal.. but we're not relying on that. We're going to make sure the performance is good.

3) Launch - The offical announcement comes out tomorrow. While I understand that some of you may feel the game is coming out too early.. we feel very strongly that we can address the remaining issues and have a very smooth and successful launch. We have a lot of things that we're testing internally before we open them up to you all... and that does include a ton of bug fixes that are underway. The team is closing bugs out at a lightning fast rate. From the outside, when you see login issues it looks like we've taken a step backward.. and I can understand how it appears that way. But the people on this team are stone cold pros who have done this for a long time and are dedicated to making sure EQ2 is an enjoyable experience.

Thanks,

John Smedley
President, Sony Online Entertainment
10-24-2004 11:05 AM
Unread 10-24-2004, 01:38 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Ironic that it's last "release" day (tuesday) just before WoW's *guessed* date? What ever it takes to stay ahead, I guess. Including releasing an unfinished game.
Unread 10-24-2004, 07:38 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Ironic that it's last "release" day (tuesday) just before WoW's *guessed* date? What ever it takes to stay ahead, I guess. Including releasing an unfinished game.
Having been a QA tester at Infogrames/Atari (Paid Game tester like the ones at SOE) Yes i'm talking Alpha stuff, No game...And I mean No Game is ever bug free when the package hits the shelf! Printing gives at least 2 weeks to work 24/7 on Class A bugs, show stoping stuff! SOE has made sure that there will be no A bugs because that means loss of players.

Most of the time the release date is set even before the game is first worked on. The real amazing thing with SOE is the fact that they never set one. I have never seen a company so set on making a good game regardless of the cost and time. What they are doing here is history.
Unread 10-24-2004, 08:16 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

I'm fine with the bugs and all, but this means that since I dont get paid until the third Friday in November, I'll have to go almost a month on my crappy old computer before I can upgrade to something that will actually run EQ2 respectably! Damn!

~Sariig
Unread 10-24-2004, 10:42 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

I understand that no game gets released bug free, but the bugs in EQII are quite compareable to the constant bugs in EQI. There's a big difference in "polishing" a game and still developing it. They are going to be releasing game altering content in the next patch, just a couple weeks before official release (and games go gold a couple weeks before release so they can get them to the retailers).

SOE's team is not known for their "strong" beta testing. You don't need to be a genious for that one, just a long time EQ player, like myself. This game is still in development, it's not near ready for polishing yet.

*Edit; for a good example for lack of testing, check out the problems that are just now being found in the switching of the UI. Can't even use /loadui multiple times w/out crashing...nor can you do other things.

Plese don't get me wrong. I do wish for a solid product. SOE has great potential in EQII, but I fear they are rushing just to get dibs on the market. They are known for these tactics; their history is *littered* with rush products and EQII is apperently no exception.

Last edited by guice : 10-24-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:06 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
I understand that no game gets released bug free, but the bugs in EQII are quite compareable to the constant bugs in EQI. There's a big difference in "polishing" a game and still developing it. They are going to be releasing game altering content in the next patch, just a couple weeks before official release (and games go gold a couple weeks before release so they can get them to the retailers).

SOE's team is not known for their "strong" beta testing. You don't need to be a genious for that one, just a long time EQ player, like myself. This game is still in development, it's not near ready for polishing yet.

*Edit; for a good example for lack of testing, check out the problems that are just now being found in the switching of the UI. Can't even use /loadui multiple times w/out crashing...nor can you do other things.

Plese don't get me wrong. I do wish for a solid product. SOE has great potential in EQII, but I fear they are rushing just to get dibs on the market. They are known for these tactics; their history is *littered* with rush products and EQII is apperently no exception.
I completely agree and I also believe there are more things than just that as well that they need to be covering. Their release date is for competition purposes and thats that. I personally think people have made their opinions about the two great MMO's comming out. I think they can wait just a little longer for a better polished product. Not to mention that they better have a lot more than 3 servers for US LOL... even though they're only stress testing 3 now
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:42 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

There's tons of servers. They had them in the queue for a bit, about a 14 or so. They where in the queue but just "down" while Beta 1 and 2 were the only ones up.

12-14 servers, 4 character limits (yes, it was even stated they are *sticking* with the 4 character per account limit--BAD move. Talk about the LACK of diversity for a single player).
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:45 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
4 character limits (yes, it was even stated they are *sticking* with the 4 character per account limit--BAD move. Talk about the LACK of diversity for a single player).

Actually no they didnt announce for release.. the announcement was in relation to the newly opened BETA 3.

I asked my contact at SOE and no official announcement has been made soooo hold out.. they are still reviewing it.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:59 AM
A Mist Grinnin

Server: Beta 1

Kudane, do you think if the had another roleplaying preferred server they would only make it so only one character can be used?
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Co-Founder
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistium
Kudane, do you think if the had another roleplaying preferred server they would only make it so only one character can be used?
No idea at this point, we will have to see what they announce.
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:16 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudane
Actually no they didnt announce for release.. the announcement was in relation to the newly opened BETA 3.

I asked my contact at SOE and no official announcement has been made soooo hold out.. they are still reviewing it.
I see... (uh..10 char limit on messages and quotes don't count? lol)

Quote:
No idea at this point, we will have to see what they announce.
Hope they announce everything.

I really don't see why it's so hard or why it takes to long to discuss the 4 character limit. Unless they had other plans (FFXI) for increasing characters, it's as simple as saying we'll be allowing 8 or 10, exact number unknown yet.

But instead they keep everything in the dark. They don't even post they are still discussing it. They keep everybody in the dark which makes you very, very, very suspisous.

Last edited by guice : 10-25-2004 at 01:20 AM. Reason: concatinated last message into this one
Unread 11-08-2004, 05:15 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:

Cananyone who has the game and is in please answer this.

Is there still a 4 character limit?

Thanks
Unread 11-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyana
Cananyone who has the game and is in please answer this.

Is there still a 4 character limit?

Thanks
I know they have a solution for it I dont know if they announced it yet.
Unread 11-08-2004, 05:24 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby
I know they have a solution for it I dont know if they announced it yet.
Well I have been searching the eq2 site and reading the forums..I havent seen anything yet. People are playing the game, I saw on the players site there are several 13+ already. I wish if they have an announcment they'd make it.
Unread 11-08-2004, 07:17 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Grobb

The last post I saw on the character limit was 4. This was made by a Dev but no reason was given. I don't have my copy yet so I can't verify it. The post was made on the Beta boards the last day before the wipe then it was locked.

Tegra