EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 05-13-2005, 03:10 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Is reading a file possible?

After searching and reading and questing to find the answer to this question, I remain ignorant, and so I ask:

Is it possible to read data from a file in the UI?

As in, a random file held in the eq2 folder (or any subfold as necessary). I'd like to parse the /log data and get mob hp's and have these displayable in the target window. It was my thought to just stick it all in a file and read the data from there. Possibly it might need to be in a .xml UI file or something?

I'm shooting in the dark. All the coding I've encountered with other MMO's has been script-based and the difference between those and EQ2 is throwing me something fierce.
Unread 05-13-2005, 03:36 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

You can read html/text files using the in-game HTML window.

-Have the log parser save to C:\Whatever.html
-In-game, type /show_window Inventory.HTML
-Enter C:\Whatever.html in the URL field. (Er... or did this not work? Running a webserver and going to http://127.0.0.1/whatever.html would work if nothing else.)

Whatever your log parser has written to the file will be displayed.

Getting the data to the target window, however, is another matter entirely. You can't copy anything via a script since it's loaded in a Page object. You'd have to type it in a textbox you added somewhere.

Last edited by Deathbane27 : 05-13-2005 at 03:38 AM.
Unread 05-13-2005, 06:23 AM
A Green Troll
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Blackburrow

c:\Whatever.html as a URL in the HTML window does work if the file exists, as does the http URL for a local webserver

You should be able to embed the log data into a textbox with a simple XML include. Considering how long the file is likely to get, anything other than a scrollable textbox is probably impracticle.

You can of corse pre-parse the data into an XML format for other types of display. For instance, its possible to build a Journal style colapsable tree view.

However, there isn't an easy way to do lookups across datasources. Showing details matching a selection in the tree view is a problem. Likewise, showing HPs for a targeted mob is a problem.