EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 04-02-2005, 08:11 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Unkown
Default Disappearing Files

I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot but I dunno what else to post to.

You know this happened to me once already. I just extracted FetishClassic into my UI/test folder, decided it was pretty good. Then, I was going to import some files from my other folder, UI/gherrick, mainly my target windows and my player window.

BOY WAS I WRONG.

Instead, I found out that somehow, FetishClassic somehow transposed itself from ui/test to ui/gherrick. I dont know how that could have happened. I lost a player window I had been working on for days alluva sudden earlier this week. Now, when Im almost done with the retweak, it happens again. All gone. I dunno whats up with that.

Right.

Darrin
Unread 04-03-2005, 02:40 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Because of the way UI Builder treats us, and knowing full well I will fubar the mod I"m working on at any moment, and may not know how to fix it.
I keep many, many revisions of a window I'm working on.

Everytime I save in UI Builder, and before I go into the game.

I do a copy/paste of the files, in the my modding default folder.

this saves a file Copy(1)_of_eq2_mainhud_tracking.xml

or whatever. then I also paste it into my custom folder for the game which overwrites the last version I tested.
It's common for me to have as many as 15 copys of the file. Each significant change I make gets this treatment.

When I'm done and happy with everthing. I'll archive them for a while, and if I don't run into any issues I'll delete them.

You can NEVER have too many copies of a file as long as you keep track or your progress. the easiest way I've found to do this is the copy/paste in teh same directory, because it will just put the 'copy of' part on there for you, and add to the count each time.
Unread 04-03-2005, 04:30 PM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nektulos

If a file got overwritten, I don't think there's anything you can do. :/

But here's some more suggestions to help prevent this from happening in the future:

1- Keep at least 3 different custom folders. Play, Dev (your files), and Test (other people's files)
2- Never paste anything into Dev. This way you'll always have a backup of the files you're working on.
3- Never open UIBuilder in Play. Make changes in Dev or Test and copy to Play. (You don't want get started with something in-game and then find out the raid window you were working on won't open.)

Along with Kosmos's suggestion about making backup copies with each version, that should help make sure this doesn't happen to you again.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way.