EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Interface Discussion > Pre-Beta

Unread 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Lucan DLere
Default My First Time yay *grins*

Well, I was playing around a little with the interface and nothing really fit me. So I sat down and thought about how I would like it to look and behave, and came up with this. As you can see, I am still at the design phase, nothing actualy made yet, just an overlay over a screenshot.

I am posting here to see if anyone would have some suggestions how to make things better, or problems I could run into.

And I am a little undecided about the colours yet. I thought the design elements look quite watery/flowing, so perhaps some blue colour scheme?

Oh, and seeing how this is my first time posting here, Vendui to everyone and thank you for all the terrific work done here. ^_^
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interface.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	2177  
Unread 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Runnyeye

And Vendui to you too , Been a long time since I have seen that greeting used you wouldnt be an ex member of SD guild on eq1 by anychance would you?
Unread 04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
A Brown Bear

No, actualy I was a Sister of Myth on eq1.
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Antonia Bayle

the status effect icons attached to the group members, i believe you could remove them but as a mystic usually in charge of taking those down i find the icons invaluable.
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:31 PM
A Brown Bear

Oh, yes, you are right, forgot about them. In the low levels I play in it always seems so much more efficient to heal once more instead of removing the poison or such... well aside from the 15 minute chest poison.

Is there a way to make the spell effect icons 'move up' so that there's no gap between the hauhe and the icon if, say, the third icon gets highlighted?
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

Yeah you can move the icons around pretty much to whereever you want.
I have to admit I have no clue as to what a "hauhe" is, so I cannot answer your question in full.

Keep in mind that all windows in the UI are square, all that flowery stuff, no offence, could just take up alot of space, and you'd have very little interactive, click room. Just at first glace anyway.

EDIT: Looks at keyboard ... hauhe = gauge?

NOTES
I went through and redlined all of the flowery-grafx part of your interface. They show the general square size needed to contain th images.The two on the top corners (group and players) should mostly be ok because you can place the grafx in those windows without blocking anything too much.

However on the bottom, we run into snags. They dont seem to be connected to anthing specific, and they cover what could be vital areas. At least 3 hotbar buttons (the top two) would be blocked by the interface (for mouse click anyway). The same for the bottom two, but only two buttons each.

If you keep the chatwindow scrollbar where it is, that will be blocked from use also. As well as the channel select button (ie choosing between /gsay, /guildsay, /ooc, etc). The quest/journal window will have it's scroll bar blocked as well.

The blue lines indicate suggested resizing. This allows you full access to your chat and quest windows, and still *for the most part* keeps symmetry and balance and all that swirly stuff intact. Next, if you move the top hotbars to where I suggested (green boxes), then you should be pretty much set.

You also have what looks like 3 target windows. I am not sure what the middle one is exactly. Is it a blown up version of your health?. ALso, what con system are you using, detailed/old/v0, or simple/new/v1? In both versions, targeting other players shows their class and level in the info box. In v1, targeting mobs gives you their level in the info box, where v0 gives you their "difficulty" ie weak, heroic, etc. Just keep that in mind when designing yoru target windows.

Hope that helps. Tried to be as complete as possible. I apologize if I over-analyzed or anything. I hope I helped.

Darrin

Last edited by dc_roenfanz : 04-04-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:40 AM
A Brown Bear

First of all, thank you very much for the indepth and thoughtfull response, Darrin, it was exactly what I was looking for, because in my opinion if you work on anything, after some time you loose the objectivity, so you need someone else saying something to it so that you can hold your own ideas against it and see whether they stand true.

Yes, hauhe is meant to be gauge ^_^

So on to the flowery stuff. *grins* To make visibility a little better I added some semi-random colours. The graphical elements consist of mostly transparency, and I'm going to make them all click-through. So they don't block clicking. Anyway, they are behind the other elements, kind of holding them in place.

Next the target window. Yes it's very big. But it's supposed to only show up when you actualy have a target, and I really like to see the mob's health in comparison to my own. So first bar would be target health/power, second player health/power and the third target's target health/power. I wanted to go with v0 and did not know that it does not offer the level... But the way I remember the patchnotes for the next life patch, they add all the functionality of v0 to v1 and vice-versa. So I guess it would be possible to mix and match then.

Some of your comments give me the idea that perhaps the image in the background was a little confusing. I only added that to give an idea of the size of actual ingame elements in comparison to what I came up with. This coloured version is without it.

I was not going to use any visible scrollbars, just going with the mouse-wheel and shift-pageup/down.

Last point. What I meant with moving the icons... uh (bear with me, english ain't my native tongue ^_^) Sardiaxx suggested to add status effect icons to the group window, stuff like poisoned, diseased, elemental and trauma I think they are. So I would need four little icons next to each groupmember, which normaly would be invisible. So say I have them in the order of poison / disease /elemental / trauma and someone gets diseased. There would be a gap where the poison icon would show up. So my question would be whether there's a way to have them change position on the fly to not have that gap?

Thank you again for the comments, been very helpfull for having a second look at stuff =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interface copy.gif
Views:	518
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2248  
Unread 04-05-2005, 11:14 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Antonia Bayle

the main problem about having them change position to hide the gap is that it would only work for the first member that gets an effect on them. because there is no way to split strings you CANT get the current y coordinate and add an amount to it so you wouldnt know what size to resize the window to.
Unread 06-03-2005, 12:36 PM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

I like your idea. I think it's one of the most creative ones I've seen yet. I have some questions though.

Do you plan to make this UI work with any resolution? And would you supply the .ini file for the proper window placement?
Since this looks like an almost total graphical overhaul, what do you plan to do with the inventory, journal, market, bags windows etc.?
It would be nice to see the target's power bar also....most of the best UI mods tend to include this information, and it is very helpful.

That's all I can think of for now. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see how it comes along

Regards,
Unread 06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
A Griffon

Server: The Bazaar

I knew i was on the best server ^_^ + Evilish

love the concept, can't wait to see it full
Unread 08-09-2005, 07:46 AM
A Brown Bear

I'm very sorry, I actualy stopped playing a few months ago and therefore never finished this, so unfortunately it's dead before it's been born.