EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 01-02-2007, 08:44 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Problems Saveing with UIBuilder

Ok this gots me all wierded out

Today i was editing one of my UI windows (eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml to be specific) i added some stats with labels. I save it then check it out in game. Ok the new lines of stats/labels i added are there but OOPS! when i copyied labels when makeing new ones i forgot to change the "LocalText" properties of the new ones and they are all named the same thing! silly me ill just go change it to what its supposed to be and ill be good.

This is when all hell breaks loose

I open my newly edited file change all of the proper label "LocalText" properties to what they say they should... save it with FILE/SAVE close the program with FILE/EXIT... it asks me if i want to save before closeing yes/no/cancel (even tho i JUST saved) i say yes and it doesnt close just sits there not doing anything. So i try again File/Exit. Same question yes/no/cancel i click yes again and same thing... i could do that for hours. On the next File/EXit i select no and finally the UIbuilder closes. Ok cool. I load the game and the labels have not changed!! WTH?!... So i close game and open the file with UIBuilder and yep the changes i made have not been saved... so i say ok ill try "save as". I do the changes again select File/Save As and rename it to eq2ui_mainhud_player123.xml click save and it seems to work. I check the folder to see if the new "123" file is there and NOPE. OK how about "save as"ing to a new folder. File/Save As eq2ui_mainhud_player123.xml into a new folder and to my amazment its acutally saves it to the new folder but as eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml ?!? i try File/Save as again and its default save name IS eq2ui_mainhud_player123.xml which is what i want to save it as but when it acutally saves its eq2ui_mainhud_player.xml. Anyway so what it didnt save it as 123 as long as it saved the changes right? So i close the UIBuilder then open it again and open up the new file in the new folder and NOTHING had changed! Its the same file that i opened as if i made no changes at all b3fore i did my save as..
Are you confused? i dont blame you... i know i am!

Anyway the point is today i edited it... it saved properly the first time... but then when i go back to edit it again it wont save any changes and it wont even change the name of the file im saveing...

Any suggestions? (sorry about the long read i just thought i'd make it as detailed as possible.)

Last edited by vict3r : 01-02-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: added more
Unread 01-02-2007, 11:31 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

UIBuilder is a buggy program....and ALL KINDS of weird things happen in it. Let me touch on some of your issues here:

Quote:
when i copyied labels when makeing new ones i forgot to change the "LocalText" properties of the new ones and they are all named the same thing!
When working with labels, you don't have to worry about LocalText. When you change the TEXT property, it automatically updates the LocalText property to say the same thing.

Quote:
it asks me if i want to save before closeing yes/no/cancel (even tho i JUST saved) i say yes and it doesnt close just sits there not doing anything. So i try again File/Exit. Same question yes/no/cancel i click yes again and same thing... i could do that for hours. On the next File/EXit i select no and finally the UIbuilder closes.
This is one of the quirks with UIBuilder. When it asks you if you want to save your workspace, it seems to be an optional question. I myself, have not seen any difference in saving the workspace or not, so instead of sitting there going through the cycle as you have, I just hit the No button.

Quote:
but then when i go back to edit it again it wont save any changes and it wont even change the name of the file im saveing...
UIBuilder knows basically all the SoE xml files. Creating new files with different names is tricky in itself, and sometimes has to be done manually outside the UIBuilder when the page is made, saved, and sitting in the UI folder.

Overall, I think you've come across a good (though tear-your-hair-out frustrating like we all have gone through, still go through, and will forever as long as UIBuilder is in Beta) learning experience. Be patient with the program (it's only as smart as the SoE devs who made it want it to be), and don't be afraid to tear stuff up learning it. You have lots of support here on the forums if you have questions.

Arre
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Well, the thing about saving your workspace...

What it'll do is save only what you have selected, and all of it's child-objects.

IE, if you had the entire "mainhud" tree selected (at the top level) it'll then save every mainhud file, and only those (at that time).

But if you had only a single window selected, then that's all it saves then. I never bother with it -- if you export previously you're good, no need to save workspace.

As for other files... if you've created it, make sure that the thing knows about it. It has to be <include>'d in one of the files that is loaded by inclusion in eq2ui.xml. Otherwise it neither knows nor cares about it.

One other suggestion I have: always export to a "dev" folder. Also, have a "test" folder that you copy only changed things from the "dev" folder to test. And then keep your actual UI folder different, only copynig things over if you're sure you want it, and even then backup the old file.
Unread 01-03-2007, 06:40 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

thanks alot guys got it working... it was the the text property thats all LOL but alot of help with other things ... thx again