EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 10-16-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

Default Monitor configuration

I didn't notice a post on this, so I thought I'd bring it up. On the preorder CD, it includes a set of graphics designed to help you calibrate your monitor to the correct settings. If you've ever used the THX Optimizer included with many DVDs, it's just like that but for a PC.
The files are located in the <EQ2 Chargen path>\DemoCreateUI\images\calibration folder. There is a version for dds and one for tga. For step 4, if you have an nVidia or ATI video card (which you should if you're planning on playing EQ2), you can go into your video card's control panel to access the color settings. Use the red, green, and blue gamma controls.
This may be common knowledge, but after running through it I noticed a significant difference in the realism in the colors.
Unread 10-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Co-Founder
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Awesome Find.

they have just recently removed the "default torch" from the game.. This was SHIFT-T and would act as if your holding a torch.. Now you have to either buy one (which works pretty well) OR adjust your gama and such.

sooo this could be a valuable find!
Unread 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Mind explaining how that works? I found the files but not sure what to do with them. Thanks

-Belly
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Question

Once you have located the files, follow the steps below to ensure that your monitor is properly configured. These assume that you do not have a .dds viewer, as 95% of us do not.

1) Open the file named 01-contrast.tga in the folder you located using the original instructions. Ensure that you are viewing the graphic at 100% of it's original size, and adjust the contrast setting on your monitor to max. Gradually decrease it until you can barely see the grey square around the circle.

2) Close that file, and open 02-brightness.tga . Turn up the brightness setting on your monitor to full, then slowly decrease it until the square disappears into the background.

3) This step I found to have completely different results dependant on whether I used the .dds or .tga files. I am assuming that the dds will be more accurate. If you would like to see the best results from this step, use the dds texture viewer (available here )
Depending on whether you are using the tga files or the dds, either open 03-gamma.tga or gamma_4.dds. If you are using an nVidia card, locate the nVidia Settings program in the taskbar, click on it, and select Desktop Color Controls. Somebody else will have to fill in the ATI instructions, as I do not have a reference system to write instructions with.
Once you are in the Desktop Color Settings, select All from the top dropdown window, and Red from the list right below that. Use the slider on the right labeled 'Gamma' so that EQ disappears as much as possible. Repeat this for the Green and Blue settings. Be sure to click 'OK' to exit, or else you may lose your configuration.

The first two steps are fairly straightforward as they deal strictly with monitor settings. The last step is slightly more complicated - once the full game is release, there will likely be an option in the setup application to configure your monitor and display device, and the sliders will be located onscreen for this last step.
Users of LCD monitors or those using a high-definition output to a TV (the only way to enjoy EQ2 in it's full cinematic environment) may be unable to adjust some of these settings - digital monitors do not typically allow you to adjust most settings. If you find that the settings are off on these, you should be able to adjust them using a procedure similiar to step 3, using the graphics card's output configuration rather than the monitors output.
Lastly, this information is provided as-is. The writer is unable to provide a warranty of any kind for the instructions given. It possible, however unlikely, that following these steps may result in damage to your monitor or display device. The writer will not be held responsible for any damages, physical, punitive, or otherwise for following these instructions.

Last edited by Mythgarr : 10-18-2004 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fixed URL