EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-07-2007, 08:23 AM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle
Lightbulb Compatibility and cleaning out the orphans

Dearest Mod Makers, Creators of Future Orphan Files
Different mods work with different UIs and some don't work at all because they are sooooo out of date that glaciers covered the land when they were posted. Some ppl post mods and NEVER update them. Please, just go back into the FTP and rename/label these orphan files as "Obsolete".

My request for the mod makers is that you specify which UI the mod is for. Some of you do this now but it should be a mandatory label either on the download site or right in the filename. Right now I'm not downloading anything that is older than November 13th or whenever EoF came out. Why would anyone download anything prior to LU29 at the risk of FUBARing their UI??? Many mods prior to LU29 just don't work anymore because they've been orphaned.

Just tell us which LU (ei LU29, LU30 and so on) the mod is compatible with and WHICH UI it is for.... is that too much to ask?

Thanks
And thank you for all the hard work you do!

Badattitude,
Seventh Sanctum
L65 Barbie Girl Guardian
Befallen Server
Unread 01-07-2007, 09:21 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
Right now I'm not downloading anything that is older than November 13th or whenever EoF came out.
See, problem solved already. The date of upload is clearly shown for each file and is just as good of an indication of compatibility as what the current update number was at that date. Anyone who can keep track of what the current update is can easily check the front page of the site for the news post and see the date of the update.

Since most of us authors-of-orphaned-mods don't play anymore, we can't check whether it still works with each update. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. I'm certainly not going to label something as obsolete if it still works, and if I had the time/inclination to borrow an account to check, I'd just update it. Furthermore, changing the description changes the "last updated" date, so doing so is counter-productive.

It's a decent suggestion, but it's already common practice and shouldn't be necessary anyway.

Mook,
No Guild
L0 nothing because my brother took over my account for two-boxing purposes
Pancake Server

Unread 01-07-2007, 02:06 PM
A Griffon

Server: Lucan DLere

Well, we do have an Out of Date section for downloads so if we start PMing Dolby with the links to outdated mods he will move them so others will be more aware.