EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 06-14-2005, 08:58 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Toxxulia
Default Anyone trying Guild Wars?

Just wondering how many here are playing or switched to Guild Wars. Have read some reviews on GW and most have been pretty positive. Kudos mainly for free online play, graphics, and reportedly original MMORP gaming style. It seems less immersive to me since quests are generated per group, which means you won't be running into other non-grouped players. Also, exploring around maps is limited meaning you can't literally walk up to mountains, rivers, etc. Any thoughts?
Unread 06-14-2005, 09:34 AM
A Forest Scavenger

Server: Lavastorm

I tried it last year during their E3 For Everyone event, it was alright. The graphics were really nice.

I recently went and looked at it again when deciding to leave WoW (and after playing the Trial of the Isle for EQ2). Limited race choices (4 or 5 I believe), limited classes (again, 4 or 5).

It looks like it would be a great Diablo II killer, if it was released 4 years ago. But it seems to lack a lot of the MMORPG elements that I look for in a game.

Their PvP is better than what's in WoW, but then I don't particularily enjoy PvP to begin with, and if I wanted PvP I'd go back to playing a FPS like America's Army.

But if you're looking for a casual game with limited capabilities, then GW is probably for you, I just don't think I could spend 30+ hours a week in it like I can EQ2 or WoW.
Unread 06-14-2005, 09:41 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Antonia Bayle

I actually finished writting a review yesterday about GW. It's a good, solid game that has many unique features and quite a few drawbacks too. In a few words. Great atmospheric graphics, NO MONTHLY FEES, no camping of mobs required, no individual servers, Dual-class characters, no tiresome crafting system, the existance of henchmen (no more being LFG for a couple of hours before finding a not-so-good-after-all group), no experience or gear integrity loss after a death, direct skill points assignment on level up, GREAT map system, VERY helpful quest system. On the other hand it only allows you to have up to 8 skills maximum at hand, practically no-existent character customization, only one playable race and 6 classes, no practical mob con-system, no stats visible.
It's a good game to own, and get your PvP rocks off when you take a break from EQ2, since there is no monthly fee. But I would not recommend abandoning EQ2 for it...

Hope I helped
Unread 06-14-2005, 10:49 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orolain
I tried it last year during their E3 For Everyone event, it was alright. The graphics were really nice.

I recently went and looked at it again when deciding to leave WoW (and after playing the Trial of the Isle for EQ2). Limited race choices (4 or 5 I believe), limited classes (again, 4 or 5).

It looks like it would be a great Diablo II killer, if it was released 4 years ago. But it seems to lack a lot of the MMORPG elements that I look for in a game.

Their PvP is better than what's in WoW, but then I don't particularily enjoy PvP to begin with, and if I wanted PvP I'd go back to playing a FPS like America's Army.

But if you're looking for a casual game with limited capabilities, then GW is probably for you, I just don't think I could spend 30+ hours a week in it like I can EQ2 or WoW.
That's a great description, only that I didn't think the graphics in GW are THAT amazing like some make it out to be.

Last edited by Oren : 06-14-2005 at 11:25 AM.
Unread 06-19-2005, 09:33 AM
A Brown Bear

Arrow GW Free?? Think again ...

Just some food for thought ...
I tryed Guild Wars when it was in preorder and they were still messing around with it as well as did a bunch of my friends. The promise of free online play got our attention. About the same time - I played the Isle of Refuge free trial for a week. I have played EQ1, DAoC, and now GW and EQ2. I prefered playing EQ2 over GW as so did one of my friends but he stuck it out with GW cause ... you guessed it ... IT'S FREE.

Now ... Guild Wars has an admitted limited amount of gameplay. If you want to play more past certain points, then you will have to BUY the expansion that they say are going to come out about twice a year. I'm going to guess on this one but I'm gonna say ~$50 each. That makes the price of GW about $100 per year. If I pay for EQ2 a year at a time - I am only paying slightly more, but I can have the entire game at my disposal at once.

Just something to think about when you say GW is "Free".
Unread 06-22-2005, 11:30 PM
A Grove Wisp

ye i have 3 lvl 20's in thsi game its good