EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 01-01-2005, 08:18 AM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Lucan DLere
Default Fixed width font question

I've been hacking at the user experience bar, trying to use a lighter font style then what some other's have programmed. However, I need to find out how to use a fixed-width font instead of the proportional fonts in order to do the % exp display correctly.

(The big problem with overlaying the blue exp number over the yellow exp number is that numbers in the base EQ2 font are not all the same width.)

Does anyone have a list of what fonts are 'allowed' within the XML file? Or do you know how I can add in one of the mono-spaced fonts? I don't want to change the entire UI font, just force it to use a better font for the numbers then it currently has.
Unread 01-02-2005, 04:38 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos

All fonts are allowed.

Add the following line to your exp bar file:

Code:
<TextStyle Algorithm="Simple" FontName="FixedSys" Language="english" Name="FixedSys12" PointSize="12" UseCachedFont="true"/>
Just replace the FontName "FixedSys" with the name of the font you want to use. (Courier New, Symbol, whatever.)

Then have your text objects reference the Name of your font ("FixedSys12" in this example) instead of "/Fonts.FontZapf15" or whatever they currently use.
Unread 01-02-2005, 09:30 AM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorishLD
(The big problem with overlaying the blue exp number over the yellow exp number is that numbers in the base EQ2 font are not all the same width.)
Are you sure about this? I do believe most of us have been using proportional fonts in all of our decimal point mods, and we haven't had any problems.

I used to do lots of work with fonts, and from my experience numbers in proportional fonts are almost always the same widths. Well designed fonts are produced this way becuase the vendors know that people need to create columns of numeric data. As a results, they need the one, tens, and thousands places to line up perfectly. I have seen very few fonts in my day (print industry) that don't make the cell sizes of numbers almost exactly the same. Usually when you find a font that doesn't line up correctly, it is some cheap knock off of a well known font, created by someone who doesn't know much about typography.