EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:58 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Server: Antonia Bayle
Exclamation Chat Logging Turned On when you Log On?

I really, really, reallllllly want to do this, and see lots of threads in the Forums concerning OnThis, OnThat, ShowThis... But... I'm an idiot... and need a walkthrough of exactly what I would do, to make /log... work when I logged on.

Would also be nice to have the Clock window that's in the fancy Socials mod to always be on when I logged on as well. Maybe there's a way to do this, but for me... I'm a dunce, please help.

Oh, also, any way to label or mark up the Socials mod a little so we newbies can add icons to the "extras" tab? Got a few more custom windows / things I wanna add to that.
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:14 AM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Ok, I'll reply about the clock first. Get the xml from this thread posyed by "Haliken" (who was me, I changed names):
http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ighlight=clock

Next, to get logging to turn on when you log in, you'd need to pick a window that opens at startup, and in the main page object for it (the first line in the xml that starts with "<Page...") you'd add:
Code:
OnShow="/log OnShow=' '"
I'd recommend a window you won't or likely won't get a custom mod for. This will have to rely on your eprsonal taste, but the best windows to use would be the player window, group window, the "EQII" button window, or the experience window.

To add your own window opening buttons to the extras tab, you'll need to open up eq2ui_mainhud_socials.xml and scroll down to:
Code:
<Page Visible="false" Location="5,193" Name="Entry4" ScrollExtent="157,48" Size="157,48">
It'll be just under:
Code:
/hide_window MainHUD.Clock" TreatAsButton="true"/>
</Page>
Delete Visible="false" (or change it to true).

On the line below that you enter the text for the text label/button. You'll want to change LocalText="(Click to edit)" to LocalText="Customwindowname Window" and scroll to the far right and change (Click to edit) to the same Customwindowname Window. You'll need to add:
Code:
OnPress="show_window=(MainHUD.Clock) show_window=(MainHUD.Clock)"
To the button object, replacing MainHUD.Clock with the custom window handle.

On the line below that is the icon. This is purely for looks. The suggested graphics are found in icon_ms1.dds, which can be opened in Photoshop if you have the DDS plugin from Nvidia. IconRect="0,42,0,42" defines the graphics to use. The numbers are, in order, left x pixel value, top y pixel value, right x pixel value, bottom y pixel value.

You should add a Tooltip to the icon to describe the /show_window command used to open the window, though it's not required. Look at the other icons on the Extras tab to see how to add a tooltip.

That's about as simple as I (emphasis on me) can explain it. If you post a window name I can add it for you, also if you want me to help you mod a window to always turn logging on, tell me which window, or post one of those window's custom xml files you use (like if you have a player window mod and want to add the logging code to the player window).

Quib
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:54 AM
A Mist Grinnin

I love you.

In a non-homosexual sort of way, of course... Very detailed post I'm sure many will be able to get good use of. :-)
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:49 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Ok, found a bug, I think. Everything works great by the way, thank you. I haven't added my custom buttons in the "Extras" social window yet, but I'll worry about that last.

Anyway, on to my "bug". On the Chat Logging thing you gave me, which seems to work fine... It's enabling Chat Logging into a standard eq2log.txt, same for all characters.

While this seems like it's working, and it kinda is... what makes when you type /log in game do it to your character's name, and in the server directory under logs\ ?

Because Statalyzer, which is the only reason I want to do any of this, will not parse the eq2log.txt it's creating and it goes boom and crashes Statalyzer. Plus, all in one giant chat log is sort of confusing, hehe. We're makin' BIG progress though, as my UI is lookin' hot now cause of this site.

Oh, if anyone reads this and is lke, I'm still havin' Chat Window issues, I solved mine by deleting the custom chat window I was using and then using the MookChat one, which worked perfectly for me, saved settings and everything... but all the others displayed wrong upon relog.
Unread 01-20-2005, 01:56 PM
A Griffon

Hm, it must be turning logging on too early, before character has been decided...

I'll see what I can come up with. I have a few ideas, but don't want to post confusing junk 'til I have a solution.

Quib
Unread 01-20-2005, 02:24 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Sounds like a plan. This will be one sweet addition to custom UIs if you can get it to work right. Like I said, the chat log it does create is fine, but it'll grow way to huge, way too fast, being that I've got 8 characters I play regularly, and do crafting with them all, so I expect a LOT of text to flow through.

I love the Statalyzer program, but it's not handled to determine multiple character logins in the same chatlog.txt. Otherwise it would actually be just fine the way it is logging now.
Unread 01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
A Griffon

Ok, here're my findings:

Code:
OnShow="/log OnShow=' '"
Logs to \EverQuest II\logs\eq2log.txt

Code:
OnShow="Visible=false OnShow='/log OnShow=OnShow2'" OnShow2=" "
Logs to \EverQuest II\logs\Servername\eq2log.txt

I can't seem to find a way to make it automatically properly log to your character's log file... the problem in this case is sorta yours Binton; I only have one character (I believe alts are a waste of time), so this single log file thing doesn't impact me negatively.

I tried many things and the two above lines are at maximum compactness; they were bigger and did the same thing at some point, but I went for efficiency. The group window (which I tested in) only is given the command to appear twice and forcing Visible=false a second time makes it closed until you manually open it upon log in, though when you manually open it that third time, assuming slightly different OnShow code, it started writing to the proper log file. Forcing a third open in OnHide happens too quickly to be any different than the second line of code shown above.

Quib
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:43 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Yeah, I'll have to try to mess with it as much as I can, cause I don't know much about it, but will definitely work hard to figure something out. Thanks for all your great help!
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:52 PM
A Fallen Diplomat

Server: Everfrost

I don't look at it as playing alts but allowing my mutiple personalities to play too, also I suffer from insomnia so have plenty of time.