EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Request

Unread 05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default how many players active on server

Is there a way to see how many players are currently active on a server.
The in built find stops at 100.
I have tried the search and get all sorts of none related results.

is there a mod or or another tool web based way of finding out.

Thanks
Bowza
Unread 05-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Premium Member
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Crushbone

I know back on EQ1 they purposely made it so its not possible to see how many people are on a server. They used to at first and then just changed it to server status. Most MMO's seem to block their player numbers, possibly so they could "spin" the numbers of active subscribers/players.

Last edited by Pyroman : 05-11-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Unread 05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
A Sea Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroman
I know back on EQ1 they purposely made it so its not possible to see how many people are on a server. They used to at first and then just changed it to server status. Most MMO's seem to block their player numbers, possibly so they could "spin" the numbers of active subscribers/players.
They did this at a time when DAOC and similar games came out. Before that they had no strong competition and it was helpful when choosing a server to know how busy it was.
When a new game would come out there would be a drop in populations while people tried out the new game. Some people would see the drop and think the sky was falling. They started hiding the populations around then . They thought this would help stem the tide. Populations back then would return to normal a month or two later. Nowadays things are much more competitive and the companies like to use Population numbers in Press releases and for marketing. I don't think any of the games will be showing these numbers in the current environment.
Unread 05-15-2005, 08:41 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Lucan DLere

cl_who_query_cap

Try something like /cl_who_query_cap 200

and see if you get more results. ?

I can't test since I don't have an account any longer.
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:31 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

The World of Warcraft Census addon gets around this by doing repeated who queries with different paramaters. It starts doing /who all. If that returns the limit, then it goes with getting all 26-50. repeat until you're down to a number with less than the max results. Basic binary tree traversal algorithm. If any level returns max amount then you do it by class or race or some other limiting factor. If you still get max, then keep adding limiting factors until you get it as specific as you need.

Once you get a number less than max as a result you add it to the total number of the server and move to the next grouping. Rinse and repeat until you've hit everyone.

I'm not too sure how well this would work in EQ2, since XML isn't exactly a scripting language, but I'm sure someone could manage it.