EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 03-28-2009, 03:10 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Updater - Application Error

This happens every time I load the launcher after a system reboot. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java, but that doesn't fix it. The only fix seems to be to reinstall the Updater every time I want to run it, and that only lasts until I reboot my PC.

Attached is the error message.

OS is Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 - 64-bit. Java version is Java 6 - Update 13, as downloaded from www.sun.com.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	profit-ui-error.png
Views:	239
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	6854  

Last edited by xalmat : 03-28-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Unread 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Delete the link you are using to start the updater for it is pointing to the wrong resource. Use the one the updater creates on your desktop or in Start Menu -> Programs -> ProfitUI Downloader
Unread 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Antonia Bayle

Interesting enough, the only link I had was in the start menu for some reason.

I managed to correct the issue by uninstalling the Updater thru the Java launcher (Start -> Run -> javaws -viewer) then by reinstalling the Updater thru the website. That gave me some correct links in the start menu and desktop. Now everything is working correctly.

Would in be possible, for future versions of the updater, to provide a way to create new desktop and start menu shortcuts?
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:56 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalmat View Post
Interesting enough, the only link I had was in the start menu for some reason.

I managed to correct the issue by uninstalling the Updater thru the Java launcher (Start -> Run -> javaws -viewer) then by reinstalling the Updater thru the website. That gave me some correct links in the start menu and desktop. Now everything is working correctly.

Would in be possible, for future versions of the updater, to provide a way to create new desktop and start menu shortcuts?
The links usually are created and updated automatically, but sometimes that seems to fail. You can also create new links via the javaws -viewer application. I actually don't know whether you could implement a function into the application itself to trigger the creation of the links, but Kaldran might know. But in any case he could probably deploy a second link with the updater to recreate the links via command line options to javaws.exe.
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
A Griffon

Server: Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
But in any case he could probably deploy a second link with the updater to recreate the links via command line options to javaws.exe.
Not possible as there is no command line option to recreate shortcuts.

I noticed a shortcut is not updated when webstart can't find the old one. So if you delete the desktop shortcut it won't be recreated automatically. I think I saw it even not update the second link if one is missing. Cache viewer for example won't recreate the links until you delete both of them. Maybe that is the problem at all. So best option is to not move them. If you want them somewhere else create a copy.

What I could try is to trigger a silent uninstall and install from within the application. This would recreate the links for sure and should be possible since the application runs without security restrictions. Have to check that though. May take a few days since I am in France til easter.
Unread 03-29-2009, 02:47 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldran View Post
Not possible as there is no command line option to recreate shortcuts.
I think there is, if you run javaws without parameters it tells you.
Unread 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
A Griffon

It tells you that -shortcut is an additional parameter to -import

(and it only changes the way webstart asks for permission afair)

Last edited by Kaldran : 03-29-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:15 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Yeah you are right.
Unread 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
A Griffon

Added an option to reinstall the shortcuts and deinstall the updater. Find them in the Settings menu. Don't know if they work at all though :P