Unread 01-10-2010, 10:28 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Default Issue tracking: black/wrong map showing until minimap is toggled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
That's the issue with the non-SOE maps that is alleviated by using the minimap (Alt+M),
BTW is there any reproducible test case for this? If there is it can probably be worked around automatically (and if it's just by toggling the minimap automatically).
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Fetish Core author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Crushbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
BTW is there any reproducible test case for this? If there is it can probably be worked around automatically (and if it's just by toggling the minimap automatically).
To my knowledge it's very simple to reproduce: go into any of the TSO instances (with non-SOE maps) and the visible map will either be the last map you saw or (if it's the first zone you've looked at with a map) black. I believe most of the older non-SOE maps do it as well, although I have not checked with any kind of rigor.

Toggling the minimap when the main map is opened is certainly worth a try.
Unread 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
To my knowledge it's very simple to reproduce: go into any of the TSO instances (with non-SOE maps) and the visible map will either be the last map you saw or (if it's the first zone you've looked at with a map) black. I believe most of the older non-SOE maps do it as well, although I have not checked with any kind of rigor.

Toggling the minimap when the main map is opened is certainly worth a try.
I'll take a look one of these days. I don't have TSO but I'll check some other custom zone (a guild hall?) and see what's up with that.
Unread 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
I'll take a look one of these days. I don't have TSO but I'll check some other custom zone (a guild hall?) and see what's up with that.
When I log in tonight I'll write down a couple of old-world zones that I know it happens with. I just can't remember which I've seen it happen with for sure, I rarely have time to log in for much other than raid nowadays, makes my memory a bit bad hehe.

Edit: Some data for you. The Cauldron Hollow, Chardok, Charasis: Maiden's Chamber, and The Acadechism (all of which were maps in the old system) work. Both versions of Veksar work (the map was made prior to the new system).

Emperor's Athenaeum, in Jarsath Wastes (in the Howling Stones), which was added only to the new map system (zone didn't exist when the old map system was in use) has the issue. Shard of Love (accessable from EF docks) was also made after the new system and shows the issue. Also, Jnils's sub-map in Lavastorm for the skull caves also shows the issue (and was made post new map system).

Last edited by lordebon : 01-10-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Emperor's Athenaeum, in Jarsath Wastes (in the Howling Stones), which was added only to the new map system (zone didn't exist when the old map system was in use) has the issue. Shard of Love (accessable from EF docks) was also made after the new system and shows the issue. Also, Jnils's sub-map in Lavastorm for the skull caves also shows the issue (and was made post new map system).
Tested the EF and LS ones and had no issues (i.e. minimap is up when zoning in and correct map shows when in zone). Will have to check again with a clean EQ2MAP install.

We are not just talking about map fog, are we? I never uploaded a fog image for new style maps so fog is black instead of the darkened EQ2MAP logo for default size maps.

Also sorry for derailing the thread with this issue, will make a separate thread out of it.
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Tested the EF and LS ones and had no issues (i.e. minimap is up when zoning in and correct map shows when in zone). Will have to check again with a clean EQ2MAP install.

We are not just talking about map fog, are we? I never uploaded a fog image for new style maps so fog is black instead of the darkened EQ2MAP logo for default size maps.

Also sorry for derailing the thread with this issue, will make a separate thread out of it.
Yeah, I was going to suggest splitting this stuff out.

The issue is not having the minimap up. The minimap should be turned off, then zone (or walk to the new place) and open the regular map. It will have the correct POI icons, but the map will be wrong -- it will be either black if no prior map was shown, or the prior map resized (usually making the prior map squished looking). It's not the Everfrost or main Lavastorm maps that are the issue. In the case of Everfrost, it's a separate zone called Shard of Love (there's a clickie portal right on the docks). In the case of Lavastorm, it's on the sub-map for the Skull Caves (a cave in the new L80 area of the zone).
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:59 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Cheers for that info, found the issue and how to fix it. Coming to an EQ2MAP updater near you soon.
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Fix is now live.
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Unkown

Quote:
Fix is now live.
Not sure if this is related, but every time I zone, my entire eq2map is black.

The only way to fix it is to select another zone, then re-select current.

That fixes it.

Toggling minimap does nothing, and it is _ALL_ zones, not just particular ones or expansions, etc.
Unread 02-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Fetish Core author
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmosean View Post
Not sure if this is related, but every time I zone, my entire eq2map is black.

The only way to fix it is to select another zone, then re-select current.

That fixes it.

Toggling minimap does nothing, and it is _ALL_ zones, not just particular ones or expansions, etc.
Make sure your EQ2MAP is current. The issue in this thread has been fixed, but if you're using an old version of the map files you may still have issues.
Unread 02-12-2010, 02:51 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Make sure your EQ2MAP is current. The issue in this thread has been fixed, but if you're using an old version of the map files you may still have issues.
It's updated as of a few minutes before that post, using the updater program.

I've tried removing eq2map and re-installing, and using the auto-updater to do a re-install of the maps. Same issue.

I have tried removing the UI (fetish), and that didn't fix it either.

It seems to happen with the standard UI and Fetish and Profit UIs.

When I tell the eq2map updater to do a full re-install, it always replaces the map window UI with profitUI, even though FetishUI is selected as the UI in the auto updater program.

Not sure that is related or not. Have to re-install fetishUI to fix that, and yes, the map is black before making that fix as well.

Re-installing the game takes many hours, or I'd start over completely.

I don't have any other mods: just eq2, eq2map, fetishui.

I guess if this is unrelated, it should be put in its own thread.
Unread 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
When I tell the eq2map updater to do a full re-install, it always replaces the map window UI with profitUI, even though FetishUI is selected as the UI in the auto updater program.

Not sure that is related or not. Have to re-install fetishUI to fix that, and yes, the map is black before making that fix as well.
Something is seriously wrong with your interface installations (and there is definitely no ProfitUI in EQ2MAP nor does ProfitUI even have a modded map window). May I suggest you delete your entire UI\ folder, then run the eq2 launchpad/launcher to patch the game up again (will redownload the default UI). Then run the eq2map updater and then start the game (without installing any other UI mod first). Let us know if the problem persists if you do that.
Unread 02-13-2010, 03:16 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Something is seriously wrong with your interface installations (and there is definitely no ProfitUI in EQ2MAP nor does ProfitUI even have a modded map window). May I suggest you delete your entire UI\ folder, then run the eq2 launchpad/launcher to patch the game up again (will redownload the default UI). Then run the eq2map updater and then start the game (without installing any other UI mod first). Let us know if the problem persists if you do that.
Actually, it isn't profit UI that shows up around the map when I run the updater, it is the default UI skin.

So that information was incorrect.

Here are the steps I took and the results:

1) completely wipe UI directory
2) run station launcher and let it update (about 45MB of downloads)
3) run eq2 and verify default UI is in place, default map works
4) run eq2updater and interrupt it to set UI to default, then let it run
5) run eq2... map is black...
6) use command line option /loadui and re-choose default UI
7) now map is working
8) exit eq2, install FetishUI (which comes with eq2map...)
9) run eq2, FetishUI working, but now maps are black again

I've talked to several people that install eq2, eq2map, and fetishUI and use it, so I know it works.

I assume that means something is corrupt in a ui settings file, but have no idea where to look, and they represent literally hours of work setting them up.

Any ideas on where to look, or if maybe a note about using these together I might have missed?

I know that FetishUI comes with eq2map already installed... could that be the problem?

When the eq2map auto updater ran, I verified that it was putting the XML and map files in that UI directory.

Again, as before, switching to another map and back to current fixes it, until I zone... either a full new zone, or just teleporting to another part of a zone.

Thanks for any help.
Unread 02-13-2010, 04:54 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
4) run eq2updater and interrupt it to set UI to default, then let it run
Assuming you mean the EQ2MAP updater, I have no idea what gave you the idea to do that or why the updater would even allow this, but this is what is killing it for you. Do this now:
  1. Wipe your UI folder once more
  2. run station launcher
  3. install Fetish (NOT to the default folder either but to it's own according to Zonx' instructions)
  4. run EQ2MAP updater without messing with the UI folder (at most verify that it is installing to the Fetish folder)
  5. enjoy a working UI

Last edited by gm9 : 02-13-2010 at 04:56 AM.
Unread 02-13-2010, 07:16 AM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Assuming you mean the EQ2MAP updater, I have no idea what gave you the idea to do that or why the updater would even allow this, but this is what is killing it for you.
No, this isn't the problem. In fact, it turns out there was nothing wrong with my UI directory at all. See below.

I followed the same procedure you outline below... I think you just misunderstood what I said, and I probably explained it badly... it's late.

The only difference is that I tested eq2map with the default UI first, then installed it for fetish UI.

Quote:
Do this now:
  1. Wipe your UI folder once more
  2. run station launcher
  3. install Fetish (NOT to the default folder either but to it's own according to Zonx' instructions)
  4. run EQ2MAP updater without messing with the UI folder (at most verify that it is installing to the Fetish folder)
  5. enjoy a working UI
Yea, that's that I did, and it doesn't fix the problem, because there is/was nothing wrong with the files in the UI directory.

Instead, I put my old UI directory back, and did this instead:

Since the UI settings was the most obvious clue to the problem, I looked at the file for awhile, and one of the XML sections was what looked like a duplicate map window.

I searched the eq2interface forums for the name of it and found a thread that discussed this problem and had a fix.

The thread is easy to find on eq2interface.com.

For whatever reason, an extra map window can appear in the file which causes the black maps on zone change and load.

For me this is what fixed my problem:

Search the file for:

<Window Name="Map2_clone_2"

If that is present in your UI setting file, it causes the black maps. The thread explains why, but as far as I see doesn't explain how it happens yet.

Delete everything from that line down to the closing </Window> tag and save the file. This fixed the problem for me and some others who reported the same issue.

NOTES:

Regarding #3 above, I don't see any special instructions from Zonx about putting this other than the default folder. The only instructions I see by him are at this page:

http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6468

...and he says to use the default location:

Quote:
2) Download and Extract the FetishNightfall ZIP to the Sony/Everquest II/. When extracting files, do not click the "Create new Folder" button, click the "OK" button instead. This will add an eq2.ini file preconfigured for the set you're installing. A few txt files and a directory for this set will be added to your "Everquest II\UI" directory.
Just to prevent confusion, maybe you should clarify what you meant here, or if he has other more updated instructions somewhere, a pointer would be great, although following his instructions above seems to work fine, even after a lot of UI and map updates.

Thanks for you help. Maybe this should be added to the FAQ?

Last edited by mmosean : 02-13-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Unread 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

That map_clone2 thing is a Fetish issue, had forgotten about that one. His instructions are good enough, I had just understood you were trying to install the UI into your default UI folder, which I now understand you did not do. Glad you found the solution yourself.

Last edited by gm9 : 02-13-2010 at 08:10 AM.