EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Help!?!?!

Unread 02-18-2009, 04:40 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Installing auto updating Profit UI

Hi peeps,

I previously used profit UI and loved it. Unfortunately it was installed for me by a friend who "knows" about computers. I have recently had to re install EQ2 and after installing the EQ2Map updater I thought I would have a go at the auto updating Profit UI. I have successfully downloaded the file and unzipped it to a folder. This folder contains 2 files - Launch Profit Reborn and Read me. I can open the secnd of these no problem. If I try to open the launcher a screen comes up "Java Control Panel" (I've downlaoded the latest version of Java) I press OK presuming this would activate the file and do everything else for me. Nothing happens, no errors , pop ups, security warnings nothing. What am I doing wrong?
Please explain in very very basic terms as I know next to nothing about computers, tho I am an Uber Coercer
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:05 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

I'm not sure why it would bring up the control panel when you try to launch the file, I've never heard of that. You might try deinstalling java completely and then reinstalling it maybe.
Unread 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

I have reinstalled java and checked that this is the up to date version (v6 update 12?) I have also deleted the files and folders downloaded from this site and tried again. Back to absolute basics: after pressing the big DOWNLOAD button from this site what do I do next? I get a message box asking wheter I want to save or open the download. If I select open I get sent to the Java Control Panel - do I need to change anything within that to launch the programme ( the temp file bit is checked)? If I select save then I can download no problem and get a "zipped" file Profit-reborn-updater-1.95zip. If I then select the right click and select a"extract all" I get 2 files - Launch ProfitUI Updater (a 2kB JNLP file) and "a read me" file.

If I right click (or double left click) on Launch ProfitUI Updater - then I again get sent to Java Control Panel;(

Somone has suggested that this may b somthing to do with "activeX controls". I have struggled through what I can by opening the tools section on my web browser and think I might be going wrong somewhere here. This however is way beyond my knowledge of computers. As an aside several websites also say that I need thelatest version of Adobe Flash player to access part of their sites - is this related?

Please help someone - all I want to do is play EQ" with my Profit UI back
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:02 AM
A Griffon

Server: Najena

You said the big download button... are you talking about the button on this site that will download the updater? If so, just click the download button and a zip file should appear on your desktop. Just to be clear, you get the updater from this link
http://www.eq2interface.com/download...rnUpdater.html

Inside the zip file will be 2 files. A read me file and a jnlp file. First, read the readme file. Read those instructions. But basically, just take the jnlp file, and place it on your desktop. then double click it (after you have ensure that java is installed, updated, and working). You can test your java installation at http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
(hmm it would seem that there is an update that I dont have, they are currently up to version 12).

Anyway, once you have verified your java installation, double click the jnlp file and it will do the rest for you

It should auto detect your eq folder location. However, it has been seen in the past that some people have more than one installation that they did not know about. Make sure that the file path in the updater is the same one that you use when you start the game. Dont forget to read the update notes as well. A lot of usefull information is contained there.
Unread 02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

You get the java panel when you try to open a .zip file? Reinstall windows.

Try installing from http://updater.pala.de, maybe that works on your system
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:00 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

ok thanks for staying with me but still no joy;( I can move the Launch file to my desktop as suggested. I have also tried launching direct from the site u suggested - baaah no luck. Having read the "read me" file again - it says that I should be given the option to open the file with Java Webstart. I do not get that option. The options I get are to open it with Windows Explorer or Java Control Panel.

I note your comments about file paths - but dont really understand that. I deleted my eq2 game and had a clean install of the game. Do I need to install the launch file for the updater somewhere in my EQ2 directory? and is there somthing else in there that I need to delete safely?

Obim the frustrated;
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:26 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Something is seriously wrong on your system, lol. Last idea I have is to copy the launch.jnlp somewhere, go to the start menu, select run, and type
javaws <Path To launch.jnlp>
For example
javaws c:\launch.jnlp