EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Best way to learn XML

One day i plan to go to school to learn computer programing, and then specialize in video games. I cant start school yet because i am still in the Army, but would like to get a head start. I like making websites and would like to make mods for games like everquest. Would XML be a good programing language to try and learn? Where can i find a good book or prefferable program to learn XML?

I am considering taking an online course but first I want to check into XML and learn a bit before i start one. If XML is not a good place for me, what would you suggest?
Unread 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

XML is not a programming language, it is a markup language. If you want to get a head start in that game programming course it would appear helpful to find out about the programming languages they will be teaching you and then start out with those.
Unread 05-10-2007, 12:37 PM
An Undead Settler
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos
Default Help

If you are already writing webpages than you should be familar with mark-up languages very similar to xml. Html is just another mark-up language. Most browsers understand both markup languages as well as others. Xml code is used by another program to basically "talk" to it in a language we understand to get it to do what you want it to. There are several good xml books out there but keep in mind that most of these deal with using mark-up language to manipulate web pages. The idea is the same though and most of the same rules and format apply to modding so its not a bad place to start. Just as the previous poster stated though, find out what programming languages you plan to learn and get resource books on those to start. Concentrate on one at a time and become fluent with it. Its just like learning a new language in the real world and once you learn your first the rest become easier as you go because of the similarities. If you learn latin you can begin to learn almost every other language out there. Same thing with programming. Xml is used for a lot of games out there but its not the only one and again its only the markup language used to speak to the machine. If you really want to program games then you will need to delve a little deeper and learn the actual machine's language. Good luck to you and btw its definately a rewarding career you are seeking. It can get frustrating at times but the end result is always worth it.

Sage

P.s. Here's a good link to learn a little bit to start. It gives you a bit of insight into what languages are used.
http://webferret.search.com/click?wf,+%2Bwhat+%2Bprogramming+%2Blanguage+%2Bis+%2Bused+%2Bto+%2Bprogram+%2Bg ames%3F,,www.euclideanspace.com%2Fsoftware%2Flanguage%2F,,altavista

Last edited by michsageman242 : 05-10-2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: adding info
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

Thank you! Your link lead me to some great wikis and that lead me to some great books on c++. Ive decided to start there since its very common and i already know a little(very) bit about it.

By the way, i use php-nuke to make my websites, so that doesnt count for much.