EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP > EQ2Map Troubleshooting

Unread 12-14-2008, 06:35 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Why won't the maps download at all

I am new to the whole Everquest game and want to download the maps as all my friends have them. My problem is that when I hit the download button I get a window offering me the choice to open, save etc, but when I hit the open key I get a new window in which Windows Internet Explorer is constantly opening and closing in a half second cycle. The only way I can stop it happening is to restart my PC. I am no great PC genius and it is annoying, but am I doing something basically wrong? I had no problems downloading the complete game which runs fine and I am getting upgrades automatically installed for Microsoft.Net so I guess that is installed properly. Anyone got any ideas?
Unread 12-14-2008, 07:41 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Choose Save instead, save it to disk, then unzip it and run the installer
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default Tried it, sill won't work

I tried it, but it still won't work. As soon as I hit the save button it goes into the same cycle. I have even tried right clicking the download button and tried save target as, that only copies an 882 kb .ini file and that does the same.

I am running up to date AVG virus software, could this be causing the problem as I see from other forums that part of this download gets misidentified as a trojan?

All my friends are at a loss as they had no problems downloading and running the program.

Just a thought, do I need to downoad the manual version of the maps first before trying for the auto update version?

Also could I be sent a copy of the files to try to get past this problem, by a friend? Could this get me round the problem?

Last edited by andy933 : 12-15-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:00 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy933 View Post
I tried it, but it still won't work. As soon as I hit the save button it goes into the same cycle. I have even tried right clicking the download button and tried save target as, that only copies an 882 kb .ini file and that does the same.
Your browser is strangely broken. Rename the .ini file to a .zip file and you should be good to go.

PS: If that doesn't work, yes, just get the installer from a friend.

Last edited by gm9 : 12-16-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Slayer of clock cycles
Featured

Server: Oasis

Does it do this for any file you try to download from this site?
Do you have an download accelerator plugins install in your web browser?
Unread 12-16-2008, 03:42 AM
EQ2MAP Developer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Splitpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
Your browser is strangely broken. Rename the .ini file to a .exe file and you should be good to go.
Should be .zip
Unread 12-16-2008, 04:05 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

oh noes
Unread 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default .zip

Sorry my mistake, I missread it, it was a .zip file. Still does the same thing again.

Does it do this for any file you try to download from this site? I haven't tried to download anything else from the site yet.

Do you have an download accelerator plugins install in your web browser? I don't know how do I tell. I haven't added anything to this PC as it has always worked OK before now.
Unread 12-16-2008, 09:39 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy933 View Post
Sorry my mistake, I missread it, it was a .zip file. Still does the same thing again.
If opening a .zip file opens and closes internet explorer in a loop instead of whatever unzip program you probably have a couple of virus infections which are incompatible with each other.

Well that was actually only half a joke, you can try downloading and installing winrar/winzip (if you can, but they probably come as .exe files) to open the file but the behaviour you are seeing shouldn't be happening, so something is amiss in your system.
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Default problem resolved

Your comments about problems with winzip. hit the nail for me. I tried to unzip and that's when I found out I haven't installed winzip on this new machine. Bit of an oversight on my part. Still doesn't explain the opening and closing problem, but I now have the fully functioning maps.

Thanks for your help