Unread 05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
A Mist Grinnin
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Oasis
Default About the latest version

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknarr View Post
It was updated for Sentinel's Fate, and hasn't needed updates since. It's pretty much mature, and the pattern is for updates to come out as (or just after) SOE releases changes to the UI that break things.

One thing that might contribute to the impression ProfitUI isn't being updated is that updates are typically released through the auto-updater. If you aren't running that, you may not see the updates.
Unfortunately this is far from the truth. While many users are accepting the UI as it is now, it is far from mature.

1. Click cures on raid, group, and self target windows are not working if you are using the latest update from the auto updater. This has been mentioned in other threads, and I was only able to bypass this by downloading and using the files located here. The curse cure button does not work at all.

2. The bottom bar was updated for one screen resolution. And then ignored for all others. Not everyone plays at 1600x1200. Some of use use smaller screen resolutions. So the result is a section of the bottom bar that is half covered. I have modified it for my screen resolution, but in my opinion since so many people have claimed the UI is being updated, that should include all variations and resolutions as well.

3. The trade skill commission window is broken. After you commission a second item to someone, the create button disappears. This does not happen in the original UI so it must be specific to Profit.

4. The browser window crashes the game. I actually tested this thoroughly. I used the Profit browser window and would crash five out of five times. I then switched to one of the other UI browsers and have yet to crash while using it.

5. The Persona window is a mess. So many stats have been removed and consolidated that there really doesn't need to be two tabs for stats.

6. Bank and House Vault bags do not save their position if the icons are sized something different that the default. With the increase to 40 slots, it would be nice if I could make the bags just a little smaller without having to reposition and re-size them every time I open them up.

7. The spinner on the number 8 hotbar is broken. I can have it always on, or always off, but it does not mouse over like all the other bars do.

Before you start ranting:

Yes, I do use the auto-updater and I ensure to keep my files up to date. I have only replaced files that clearly do not work.

Yes, I can do some basic UI modding, but I do not have the knowledge to completely rewrite the macros and coding for some of the more advanced windows. It took me several hours to mod the bottom bar so it showed the entire resists section and looked somewhat decent in game. And you can still tell that it was done in a hack/slash type manner.

I love ProfitUI. I shudder to think of playing my game without it. But I have to be honest, gm9 kept the entire UI up to date including variations for resolution as well as making sure it looked good cosmetically. I don't see that anymore.

I respect that someone has taken up the reins and claims responsibility for the UI. But I don't see them updating it. Instead I see the users trying their best to at least keep the UI functional. All I can say to this is, "Step up! You claimed it, now own it. Make it something you are proud that others will see and use. Don't settle for making it an added convenience when you have the power to make it a necessary tool."

This is not an attack on anyone, please don't view it as such. It is how I see the state of the UI today. It is slowly decaying to something that people will settle for because they don't want to have to change.
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM
A Griffon

Server: Splitpaw

well i donno how you come to some of yur issues but all my raid buttons work fine ,so does the click to cure and cure curse,my self targeting is working just fine and i update mine all the time and am useing the latest updater.
maybe im just lucky on that area but as far as cosmetics go the guys who update this do it for free in there own spare time if it works then isnt that better than looks ?
I think Tal did a great job takeing this over since the last person who was looking after it when GM9 called it a day had suddenly vanished and all the ones who have put in the effort to keep it going as best as they can.
I know you said it wasnt an attack but to me it seems to be a slap in there faces ...
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixoa View Post
well i donno how you come to some of yur issues but all my raid buttons work fine ,so does the click to cure and cure curse,my self targeting is working just fine and i update mine all the time and am useing the latest updater.
maybe im just lucky on that area but as far as cosmetics go the guys who update this do it for free in there own spare time if it works then isnt that better than looks ?
I think Tal did a great job takeing this over since the last person who was looking after it when GM9 called it a day had suddenly vanished and all the ones who have put in the effort to keep it going as best as they can.
I know you said it wasnt an attack but to me it seems to be a slap in there faces ...
I feel like I have approached this using constructive feedback laced with my opinion. By stating that it was a "slap in the [their] faces" is being overly sensitive. If people don't point out issues, how can the UI improve? Hiding behind the "I do this for free" comment is a poor excuse. If it is so troublesome, then don't herald the community and swear to take up arms against a foe you have no intention to beat. No one asked them to pick up the project, they chose to. I merely am asking that they stick to the call they originally made.

As far as function vs. layout: If the UI is difficult or messy, then yes, the cosmetics need addressing. The UI should in effect be invisible to the user for maximum game immersion.

None of this was written in anger or retribution. It was all thought out so that the issues that I and others may be having aren't overlooked because a select few believe the UI to be complete.

Even you addressed a single issue I listed, but what of the others?

Last edited by Mystara0001 : 05-06-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystara0001 View Post
Hiding behind the "I do this for free" comment is a poor excuse.
0/10 troll

Let's see your free mods and then we'll talk. /boggle
Unread 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm9 View Post
0/10 troll

Let's see your free mods and then we'll talk. /boggle
How is that even a fair challenge? That's like saying that your UI is only for those that can create their own UIs.

Furthermore, you stepped out of the game because you didn't have the time to keep the UI updated. That in itself is honorable because you thought of the impact on the community first instead of trying to keep something updated that you just couldn't.

As far as contributions to a community. I ran the largest Morrowind resource links site for three years. I was very faithful to its update and accuracy. But when it came time to step down, I did so instead of promising the community that I would update something for which I no longer had time. If you want to see it now (thought it's being maintained by MythicMods) visit here.

Finally this thread isn't about the excuses as to why something hasn't been updated. It's a statement that the UI is still not finished as there are bugs that need to be addressed.

Last edited by Mystara0001 : 05-06-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
How is that even a fair challenge? That's like saying that your UI is only for those that can create their own UIs.

Furthermore, you stepped out of the game because you didn't have the time to keep the UI updated. That in itself is honorable because you thought of the impact on the community first instead of trying to keep something updated that you just couldn't.

As far as contributions to a community. I ran the largest Morrowind resource links site for three years. I was very faithful to its update and accuracy. But when it came time to step down, I did so instead of promising the community that I would update something for which I no longer had time. If you want to see it now (thought it's being maintained by MythicMods) visit here.

Finally this thread isn't about the excuses as to why something hasn't been updated. It's a statement that the UI is still not finished as there are bugs that need to be addressed.
THIS UI has been updated many times over. A lot of the times when people aren't getting proper files they have them on ignore or they are installing to a completely different directory than the updater is set to update. I have often checked when people say they aren't getting updated files but had to manually download and 3 of the 4 people in game who did have to click the manual files said OMG I had 2 installations of EQ2 the 4th person wasn't even using Profit LOL.

There are things like the browser window but hmm thats an in game browser issue which btw has been posted about on the official forums. Generally speaking its when you visit eq2wiki however I have yet to crash using zam sites with the in game browser.

And last but not least nobody forces you to use Profit. If you're having that many issues with it install a different one. But I for one haven't seen an issue with cure curse not working unless of course I am on a class that Can't cure a curse which then of course it won't do anything period.
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:21 PM
A Mist Grinnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabard View Post
THIS UI has been updated many times over. A lot of the times when people aren't getting proper files they have them on ignore or they are installing to a completely different directory than the updater is set to update. I have often checked when people say they aren't getting updated files but had to manually download and 3 of the 4 people in game who did have to click the manual files said OMG I had 2 installations of EQ2 the 4th person wasn't even using Profit LOL.

There are things like the browser window but hmm thats an in game browser issue which btw has been posted about on the official forums. Generally speaking its when you visit eq2wiki however I have yet to crash using zam sites with the in game browser.

And last but not least nobody forces you to use Profit. If you're having that many issues with it install a different one. But I for one haven't seen an issue with cure curse not working unless of course I am on a class that Can't cure a curse which then of course it won't do anything period.
I fully respect your advice and opinion Papabeard as I have seen the time and effort you put into making sure this UI worked after Sentinel's Fate.

The responses to my original post are all following the same suit:

1. This part works for me.
2. Ignore this issue because I won't comment or know nothing about it.
3. Give excuse as to why it can't be updated.

So far I've seen:
I do it for free.
You're being insulting.
Use a different UI.

Which one of these is a real reason that the issues I've listed are being ignored.

Everyone keeps talking about the click cures. There was an update three days ago (I know this because I launch my game in this order: UI-Updater, EQ2Maps, EQ2). From that point until I rolled the UI files to the ones I originally mentioned, the click cures stopped working.

If it's been fixed since then, great! But how do I know since there hasn't been any type of update text put out on the forums?

Whether you wish to believe it or not, I am a customer for a product being provided with the statement of: "If you have problems let me know and I will try to fix them."

The reality seems to be: "If you have problems and let me know, the community will belittle what you say and encourage you to use something else so they don't have to be fixed."

So how about instead of making more excuses and comments to avoid helping, someone out there that knows how to mod properly start asking questions so that the issues can be solved.

I am not unreasonable, if no solution can be found I'll accept that. But I would like a reasonable effort made to find that solution, and I'm willing to help as much as I can.
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

Quote:
From another thread:

Unfortunately this is far from the truth. While many users are accepting the UI as it is now, it is far from mature.
OK.

For #1, I'm using the most recent version off the updater and click-to-cure is working just fine, so I'm thinking you have some other problem somewhere.

For #2, the different versions of the bottom bar cover a range of resolutions, I've never had a problem picking the one closest to my screen size and using it. There was an issue where for a couple of days a bad version of the bottom bar was up on the updater, but that's been fixed.

#3, again I use this a fair amount and haven't seen what you're seeing. Again this suggests you've got another problem somewhere.

For #4, this isn't a ProfitUI problem, it's documented that EQ2 is using an older version of the Mozilla libraries that have a known bug in them. No custom UI can do anything about that.

#5, I haven't found it to be a mess but it probably could be condensed back down to one tab. Personally I think it'd be getting a bit crowded that way though. Persona window's one of those you can drop a replacement in for without disrupting anything, IIRC. I did that with the inventory window when I didn't like Profit's.

#6, I've resized my bags and haven't seen this oddness. There was an issue back with the binary UI settings files where bag window positions (which includes bank boxes and house vault slots) wouldn't be saved, but if you're converted over to the new XML format that should've gone away. Only suggest I have is to make sure all the old *_*_eq2_uisettings.ini files are gone from your game directory.

#7 I can't say anything about, I don't use that many hotbars.

So, out of 7 that's 4 "works for me", 1 "known game client bug" and 1 "personal preference".
Unread 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
A man among men
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nagafen

Guy's lets keep things mature. There is no need for insolence. This isn't EQ2Flames. You can compare this forum to the Tech section in EQ2Flames (where flaming/trolling is not permitted).
Unread 05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragowulf View Post
Guy's lets keep things mature. There is no need for insolence. This isn't EQ2Flames. You can compare this forum to the Tech section in EQ2Flames (where flaming/trolling is not permitted).
Yeah, I've been hesitating for a bit but I'll close this down since I cannot see it going anywhere productive.

To the OP: Noone working on any UI on this site FOR FREE needs to make up any excuses for anything here. You are not a customer of these fine ladies and gentlemen. On the contrary, it is you that should present your excuses for using their work FOR FREE without a single word of thanks so far but rather trolling the authors about the quality of their contribution to this community and the level of their dedication.

It is not anybody's job to provide you with a custom interface FOR FREE nor to stand here and answer to your "angry customer" antics. I accept you are passionate about the UI and want to see it live up to your highest expectations but you should think about whether insulting the person you want to do the work is going to get you anywhere.

This thread is now closed, feel free to raise your suggestions about the UI in another thread but keep the rest out of it please or I'll make sure it stays out.

Last edited by gm9 : 05-06-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Closed Thread