EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > General Discussion > Chit-Chat

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:10 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Blackburrow
Default (non-working) email commands

I really, really, want in-game e-mail. I am desperate, it's sad..
we know its functional (see: petition system) and while making the /list i could help but notice all the email commands... and play with them

cancel_mail
deletemailmessage
getmailmessage
getmailheaders
start_mail
sendmail

anything other than /start_mail gets you "You are currently not in a mail transaction"
/start_mail will actually get you something semi useful: "[DEVL]Usage: start_mail < mailbox_id >."
/start_mail shizlak? nope. same message..
/start_mail [bunch of numbers]? yep!
"You do not have a valid mailbox target."

so what does that mean? vaild mailbox target? wrong set of numbers? (i tried my station player id, no luck)

Does it mean.. like.. target window "target"? or location? i tired in the feild at first, then i tried next to the banker, innkeeper, in my house, nothing.

I want email!!! /cry

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Wrath of Evil
Premium Member

Server: Everfrost

Looks like the client-side is all set up for it, but the email server is non-existant.

Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:16 AM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Email would be nice, but I can't be entirely sure that I would want it ingame. I am afraid it would further destroy the immersion of being in a fantasy setting. Email worked in Star Wars, but in Everquest 2?

Personally I'd opt for removal of the chat channels and the OOC chat in the game, as well as private tells. Everything would be radius based like /say. Imagine the immersion, and the interesting connections you'd come up with - you would have to network more, and being in a localized guild would be a huge benefit.

I rather liked how the early DAoC didn't even have ingame maps - you just had to explore and memorize on your own, until people started making 3rd party maps.
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:54 AM
A Grove Wisp

Server: Toxxulia
Default wow email

i wish they'd add mail like in WoW, where you have to go to a mailbox to send and receive mail
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:18 AM
A Berserk Golem

Server: Antonia Bayle

If you look at the next expansion of EQlive, they have announced too an email system (eq1 is still the beta to eq2 as usual ).

Although a PM system would be nice, I fear the botted people who would spam your box with ads like for usual email (but I am sure 100% you will get advertisements from SoE with this email system along with petition answer).

Anyway a nice system would be outside the game, like a complemantary tool to the Launchpad chat system (so you get petition answer and PM before you lanch the game)
Unread 01-12-2005, 03:30 AM
A Griffon

Server: Blackburrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorya
Although a PM system would be nice, I fear the botted people who would spam your box with ads like for usual email (but I am sure 100% you will get advertisements from SoE with this email system along with petition answer).
Fear not, spam exists today because
1. e-mail is free (eq2.. isnt)
2. it's unblockable because you can have a bot make millions of spam accounts. (a $50 eq2box will give you 1 spam account, which will be banned after the first round of spam)

soe spam WILL happen, you'll just have to deal with it... an eq2interface newsletter would be cool. (new mods, new breakthroughs, current projects.)
(uh oh..)

Unread 01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
A Griffon
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
Email would be nice, but I can't be entirely sure that I would want it ingame. I am afraid it would further destroy the immersion of being in a fantasy setting. Email worked in Star Wars, but in Everquest 2?
Not everyone plays EQ2 because of the whole fantasy world thing. Just keep that in mind. Maybe in the Role Playing Servers. But if they did stuff like that to keep it "realistically fantasy", I would quit in an instant.
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:22 PM
A Brown Bear

Server: Lucan DLere

Being a RPer myself, the idea of having no RL (real life) function is highly desireable, but personally, in the EQ world, I don't think it is workable.

A EQ server is a world-wide game, where people are playing across multiple timezones (not to mention, a dateline). Add in the fact (although we don't want to admit it while playing), that RL really does exist and I think you come up with a number of factors that require some RL functions in a game, to make a RP world possible.

I see email as a communications tool. This tool can be used to actually enhance the RP experience by helping organize your next planned online time period.

Don't think so? Well consider this.

You have a dedicated local group of D&D players. There's a doctor in the group, along with a student and one guy who works shifts at the local mill. The DM has also taken on the role of organizer, arranging time and place for your next session. You have fought any battles together and have always managed to stay in role. Matter of fact, role has become so important that if someone can't make a session, noone plays.

Now consider this.

Take away the telephone, email, and snailmail. How long do you think your dedicated group of D&Ders are going to last?

Sure. Take away the /ooc, /shout, and /auction but please give us the tools that actually help build the experience.
Unread 01-13-2005, 03:18 AM
A Mist Grinnin

If you look at a /log you will see that there is a set of numbers before people names. Try using those for the mail box number and see what happens.
Unread 01-13-2005, 03:46 AM
A Griffon

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
an eq2interface newsletter would be cool. (new mods, new breakthroughs, current projects.)
(uh oh..)
We don't need ingame email to do a newsletter .. I'd rather not have something like that popping up ingame anyway, but it is a great idea for real email!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekisu
I see email as a communications tool. This tool can be used to actually enhance the RP experience by helping organize your next planned online time period.
That is what guilds and guild webpages are for, I think. This stuff doesn't need to be ingame for the purpose of planning your next gaming session. If you are in the game, then you are already in a gaming session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraki
i wish they'd add mail like in WoW, where you have to go to a mailbox to send and receive mail
That idea would work, for me - I just think it'd be overly silly to have instant email in a fantasy setting. However, having a mailbox attached to my apartment would make sense. Or a pigeon roost - or the pony express
Unread 01-13-2005, 12:34 PM
A Berserk Golem

Why pigeon roost or the pony express if we have the uber gnomish technology : the instant rocket gnomish messenger
Go gnome! Go!
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:11 PM
A Fallen Diplomat

Quote:
I just think it'd be overly silly to have instant email in a fantasy setting.
But yet, tells are acceptable? Or is Norrath just chock filled with telepathically capable people.
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:35 PM
A Griffon

I don't think we should have tells either - it should all be radius based /say commands. But I don't think that would fly with anyone but me.
Unread 01-14-2005, 02:26 AM
A Griffon
Featured

Quote:
I don't think we should have tells either - it should all be radius based /say commands. But I don't think that would fly with anyone but me.
Definately wouldn't fly with me And teh chance of a majority wanting that is slim to nothing, hehe.
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:43 AM
aka Mook
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Nektulos

Quote:
/start_mail [bunch of numbers]? yep!
"You do not have a valid mailbox target."
Curious.

Someone try this when they've got an open CS ticket, using the ticket number.