Closed Thread
Unread 04-04-2005, 06:01 PM
A Sea Turtle
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Permafrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
to #1

i was not aware that it was writing to the root directory, i will have to look at the code for it today when i get home from school. any although i do appreciate the comment of seeming to know what i am doing im still in high school and am self taught in vb .net and this was the first useful program that i wrote (in any language) besides the zonerect calculator. it would be great if you could tell me what files it is writing to the root directory so that it helps me track down the error in my code. i agree that it is a bad thing and will do my best to track it down asap.

to #2

do you mean installing the program or the files it downloads?

thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you.

1. The files being written to the root directory are the downloaded update files and are written there by the updater program.

2. That was in reference to the installation of the program itself, with a subdirectory created there for the update files that it downloads when it runs.

For someone who is self-taught and still in high school, you are doing a great job. Keep learning and keep up the good work.
Unread 04-04-2005, 07:08 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Server: Antonia Bayle

all the people i have talked to have not said anything about files being written to the root directory and i can not reproduce this no matter what i try, so if you could give me as much information as possible it would be great, like the filenames of the files that are being written there, if they are updates to the file or if it is a new file that its getting, if its only images or xml or both, and the contents of the eq2map_config.cfg file that is in the updaters install directory, you can eiter attach it or just open it up in notepad and copy paste the text.

also, you can install the program where ever you want just click the browse button when it asks for what path to install the updater to.
Unread 04-14-2005, 11:20 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

I don't suppose there's a possibility of there being a non-.NET version of the autoupdater?

Some of us weird people just hate having more M$ bloatware on our systems... and run windows ONLY to play games, dual-booting into another OS for other stuff....
Unread 04-15-2005, 12:19 AM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTwo
I don't suppose there's a possibility of there being a non-.NET version of the autoupdater?

Some of us weird people just hate having more M$ bloatware on our systems... and run windows ONLY to play games, dual-booting into another OS for other stuff....
I doubt it.. I don't think it's possible to build non-.NET software with the later versions of MS compilers. Personally, I use pre-.NET compilers, but if taco-man spent 300 dollars on a .NET VB Studio, then I doubt he'll have the funds to aquire a previous version that would be able to compile software that doesn't need .NET Framework to run.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the answer would be no, unless taco-man gave it to someone else to port the source code.
Unread 04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

unfortunately not unless someone else writes it, which isn't likely because in its current form it is about 1500 lines of code, the only language i know is visual basic .net, once i graduate high school this year and start my computer science degree, when i learn another programming language i *might* re-write the updater just for practice, but that wouldnt for a few years (after i start and finish general ed classes)
Unread 04-15-2005, 12:22 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
I doubt it.. I don't think it's possible to build non-.NET software with the later versions of MS compilers. Personally, I use pre-.NET compilers, but if taco-man spent 300 dollars on a .NET VB Studio, then I doubt he'll have the funds to aquire a previous version that would be able to compile software that doesn't need .NET Framework to run.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the answer would be no, unless taco-man gave it to someone else to port the source code.
i would be happy to provide the source code for anyone who actually wants it, for whatever reason, just let me know and i will zip it and email it to you.

lucky for me i got it legally for alot less, i just cant install it on any computers since i dont have the disk, its the thing where you can rent a disc from the college (in my case the community college i went to over one summer) install it and bring the disc back

Last edited by taco-man : 04-15-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Unread 04-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxTwo

As I said when I removed Linux from the Getting Connected manual I maintain for the Uniersity I work for, "if they're savvy enough to run a Linux/dual-boot, they're savvy enough not to need the simplistic instructions in this book." It's the same sort of thing here. This utility was designed for the average user; if you feel that for whatever reason you don't want the .NET Framework on your machine you are probably not the average user, and you can either use the official EQ2MAP download (and not get up-to-the-minute maps/PoIs) or you can write your own updater. But to ask that another version be written just so your delicate sensibilities about which software development houses have their products installed on your machinewell, it would have been a little better if you'd asked if you might be allowed to port it. (And if you don't know howyou should probably just suck it up)

Harsh? Maybe. But asking someone to totally rewrite a program that works just so you can keep your hate for Microsoft alive is pretty rude.
Unread 04-16-2005, 01:49 AM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco-man
i would be happy to provide the source code for anyone who actually wants it, for whatever reason, just let me know and i will zip it and email it to you.

lucky for me i got it legally for alot less, i just cant install it on any computers since i dont have the disk, its the thing where you can rent a disc from the college (in my case the community college i went to over one summer) install it and bring the disc back
Let's all hope that your computer doesn't poop out and force you to reformat

The updater would be dead!!
Unread 04-16-2005, 05:29 PM
A Coastal Crab

Default Crash with .97 on W2000+.NET 1.1

I am having difficulties with the updater. I am running on W2000PRO with .NET framework 1.1 fully patched via windows upate. When I attempt to start the updater I get the following error:

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled.

Process id=0x73c (1852), Thread id=0x78 (120).
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:14 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

i see that you said .net was up to date, but can you check and see if you have service pack 1 for the .net framework (not windows). if you dont, install it and then let me know if that fixed your problem or not.

EDIT: the next version of the updater will have error handling for any unhandled exceptions like the one you just experienced, which should *hopefully* help me track them down much easier.

Last edited by taco-man : 04-16-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Unread 04-16-2005, 09:11 PM
A Young Mystail Rat

Exclamation Problem loading updater

Hi I hope you can help, I've tried everything I can think of so far...
When I try to run the eq2map updater i get this message...
Application has generated an excpetion that could not be handled.
Processid=0x6a8 (1704), Thread id=0xef4 (3828)
click ok to terminate the application.
click cancel to debug application. .... then if i hit cancel i get this message...
Registered JIT debugger is not available. An attempt to launch a JIT debugger with the following command resulted in an error code of 0x2 (2). Please check computer settings. cordbg.exe !a 0x6a8
click retry to have the process wait while attaching a debugger manually.
click cancel to abort the JIT debug request.

Now when I first downloaded the program it worked perfectly for a couple days, but now it does the above and I dont know what has changed it!!

I dont know what any of that means and Ive read all the faq and threads on other types of problems and cant figure this one out.... so any help would be fabulous!!
Unread 04-17-2005, 12:08 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

to everyone with the Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0x73c (1852), Thread id=0x78 (120) errors

Brutalia was kind enough to work with me for about 2 hours trying to solve it and eventually we were able to find the problem, however no solution it is a problem from microsoft and nothing in my code, see this post for more detailed information. there is also a fix on there that you can try but no promises if it will work

http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/s...9656#post19656
Unread 04-21-2005, 02:41 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thumbs Up Group Positions on Map

This is a wish item.

Haveing installed and used this app for the first time yesterday V0.97 beta i have 2 comments to make.

1 Taco man you are a genius,

2 I lost the new group positions on the map. Is this right ? and do you have plans to add it soon ?

Once again Thank you so much this is the best EQ2 addon i have ever seen.

Well Done

Gratz.
Unread 04-23-2005, 11:07 AM
A Coastal Crab

Default BUG: Updater fails to install EQ2Map if eq2.ini exists

ISSUE:
If eq2.ini already exist the Updater will install the XML files into the root of the driver that you point it to. The UI\EQ2Map directory is never created and the step that copys the *.dds files is skipped.

WORKAROUND:
Renaming the existing eq2.ini before running the updater gets around this issue.

--Rannoc

PS: The updater also does not support "Large Fonts" display settings. This cause the main window to be too small to should all of the updater. Suggest making the window resizable.
Unread 04-25-2005, 08:57 PM
A Coastal Crab

I got this error please help Error Getting File List:
Exception in configuration section handler (c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config line 91) when I was tryiny to update the map
Unread 05-01-2005, 08:43 PM
A Brown Bear

i have the updater installed but when i try to start it i get the message that it cannot be loaded...i believe i have the .net 1.1 installed but im trying it again right now. any other things it can be?
Unread 05-01-2005, 08:51 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

can you give the actually message that it says please?
Unread 05-04-2005, 05:50 AM
A Brown Bear

Server: Runnyeye
Default ver. 0.98

Hello Taco-Man

its possible to release ver. 0.98 of eq2updater? Iam running windows desktop at 1152x864 resolution and app window is cut in half. Need to resize it....

thanks in advance
Klattu
Unread 05-04-2005, 09:30 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

expect to see the next version in about 2 weeks (i have ap testing all this week and had it last week as well) so i have been very busy lately.
Unread 05-08-2005, 09:27 AM
A Crazed Gnoll

Server: Guk
Thumbs Up This program! So cool!

I'm a fairly new player and an old woman to boot. First, let me say that this thing rocks! I was ALWAYS getting lost in those sewers/caves/etc. I am amazed by how much work and talent went into this thing! Let the community know if you need $ donations.

Second, your level of professionalism is evident. Most people don't care about your language. Such a silly thing, the bad language bugaboo. Course, maybe that's why I ended up in Freeport instead of the world of goodness and light.....

Again, THANKS.

Deirdre
(Annis, lvl 17 druid, Freeport)
Unread 05-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Saryn chained me to a UI
Featured

Default Speaking in tongues

Got a wierd one for you....

Few days ago after updating the maps (after you changed the note from April 14th), I was surprised to see the notes area look something like this:

Zkw6_UVt,Σ<iz QSC6} @r7nӓ*ObY$0ǝ;-Ic(i/Nś<N);[uT ոԅF6'NɣIN3Uyo34~,LEdRS P2u6A~{SXa5/'핎]2}Y=%ya,nWK<8>
|wUT>AGVz+B6U_aѽ}ZrʖCBi;7iPow!
\t=?"G4iO|ҥr:+3۶PUBk*2tdCUA:ҺKmS
_tbc &z-P\c&]gky~hS=CV:x*M6
C0= m㘣fQmWw*OM97708nr/qwM^
}5XDv{̩b2DJk͊Bc&nTcolor: #FFFFFF} .headlinesmall {font: bold 11pt arial; color: #FFFFFF} A:link {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: underline} A:visited {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: underline} A:hover {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; color: #1111FF; text-decoration: underline} A:active {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 9pt; color: #FFFFFF; text-decoration: underline} BODY {font: 9pt arial; color: #FFFFFF; margin: 0px} TD {font: 9pt arial; color: #FFFFFF} UL {font: 9pt arial; color: #FFFFFF; padding-left: 0px; margin: 0px; list-style-type: none;} .smallline {font: 4px;} .versionbar {font: bold 9pt arial; color: #FFFFFF; padding: 2px 2px 0px 2px; border: solid #FFFFFF; border-width: 0px 0px 1px 0px; background-color: #1E427B;} Newest Version of EQ2MAP Updater: 0.97 Beta

However, it only does that on this machine, not my primary machine. Primary is an Athlon 64 3500+ w/ 2 GB of DDR on an Asus A8V deluxe mobo. OS is WinXP SP2 with all current updates.

This machine (the one with the garbled note) is an Athlon XP 3200+ w/ 1 GB of DDR on an Asus A7V600-X mobo. OS is again WinXP SP2 with all current updates.

Only thing I could think of was mebbe a font issue, or it's reading the formatting info in a manner that wasn't expected. *shrug*

edit: inserted some line breaks to correct formatting issues for firefox / linux users.

Last edited by Wulfgyr : 05-12-2005 at 12:18 PM. Reason: adjusting formatting
Unread 05-12-2005, 09:26 AM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

for some reason the web page it is going to is becoming corrupted and that is why its showing the text (its so corrupted it thinks it is a text file instead of a web page, all the wierd looking symbols are from it being corrupted) i can check the file but it should be fine, and the updater just uses the same thing internet explorer uses so its not being caused by any code that i wrote. i wish i could be of more help
Unread 05-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Saryn chained me to a UI
Featured

ah that explains it - any chance you could post the ip address for the website? I'll enable it as a trusted site for IE, mebbe that'll fix the problem... and I'll double check my firewall settings as well.

Wulfgyr

edit: and apologies for screwing the forum formatting - it looked fine with IE, but using firefox on my linux box resulted in it stretching across 2 screen widths, so apologies to any linux folks and/or firefox users out there.

Last edited by Wulfgyr : 05-12-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: additional info
Unread 05-12-2005, 03:33 PM
EQ2MAP Updater Author

this is the actual page.
http://maps.eq2interface.com/updates.html
Unread 05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Saryn chained me to a UI
Featured

Problem solved -

went into the tools -> advanced options for IE, and enabled automatic updates for IE, that fixed it. (Usually keep all updates off, to keep max bandwidth available - I frequently 2-box EQ2 on this machine and my main one, along with referencing different stuff on my laptop)

Thanks for the help!
Closed Thread