EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > XML Modification Help & Info

Unread 06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
A Forest Scavenger
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Nektulos
Default Rotating Text Problems

Because some of the mods I am making are vertical I have been trying to rotate the text to go along with it. In the UI builder it will look fine but once I get in game it is not visible. Has anyone worked with this and gotten it to work correctly or have some ideas for me to try. I have tried making the text box into a square, thinking it might be a problem with wher it was rotating but that didn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:29 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unkown

im 90% sure that text cannot be displayed vertically unless you make seperate text boxes for each letter and position them yourself. Taco-man i think has a vertical HO wheel with vertical text in it. Take a look at that and see how he did things
Unread 06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Default Thanks

Thanks, I will look at that. I haven't had much luck finding other things with vertical text so thanks for pointing me in Taco Man's Direction.

Edit: I looked at it and he did the same thing I did in my Vertical Group Mod. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to work well for what I am trying to do now. Oh well, put it on the wish list. Too bad I can't just use the rotation effector to somehow stop it partway through rotation, that seems to be the only way I can get text to rotate .

Last edited by Deacon : 06-30-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Unread 06-30-2005, 03:05 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Default Found Something neat but it doesn't seem to help

I started messing around with the default xp bar and I rotated the whole MainHUD.Experience page in the UI Builder. When I loaded it up in game the adventure and tradeskill levels were both rotated and they are text fields so it got me thinking. Perhaps you just need to embed the text in another page (or 2) to rotate it. I have tried this along with a couple different permutations to no avail unfortunately. I do not see what the difference is but perhaps a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh point of view might have some clue to why this worked one place but not another. I have a couple more things to try but I am getting off the project for a little while...my brain hurts.
Unread 07-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Yea, stick the text in a subpage and rotate the page not the text. That worked for me when i was playing with the rotate option
Unread 07-01-2005, 03:31 PM
A Forest Scavenger

Landiin,
I tried that and while it worked in the UI builder it didn't work in the game. As for the rotation of the tradeskill/adventure levels in game I have figured out that you can rotate text directly but not if it is too wide. I figured this out by making a skinny vertical multiline text box and rotating it. It works fine but is fairly close to worthless (though maybe I'll have a need in the future). I did figure out a psuedo work-around for text rotation (though it doesn't work for my needs). You can create a button that does nothing and, by making your own buttonstyle, you can effect how the text is aligned and looks. Buttons and their text rotate fine. However, if the text you are trying to rotate is pushed from the server it doesn't update like a text object does. I tried renaming the button to what I was trying to replace and it didn't work. I tried to see what text objects had that button objects didn't and all I found was interactive=true. I tried to add that (not a normal button attribute) but alas that did not work.

I am happy about what I'm learning along the way. I realize sometimes you have to MacGuyver things but so far I haven't been able to rotate text with ductape and chewing gum (at least not in game )
Unread 07-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Slayer of clock cycles
This person is a EQ2Map developer.
Featured

Server: Oasis

Oh yes, thats what it was a button not a page. I find a lot of things work in the ui building but not the game also:/ But thats half the fun is learining