View Single Post
Unread 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordebon View Post
the current system is somewhat... cumbersome to fix a POI.
I'll agree on that. It's easier to do if you are a mod though. If you have suggestions on how to improve this jnils and I can take a look to make it better. All that takes time though. Ideally I'd have the whole process done with a dynamically updating page ajax style.

Quote:
Also, out of curiosity: Is there an "official" posted policy for random "!" spawns and other POI types?
I see on the POI submission/update that it says only Fixed location ones, but there are still plenty of random ones as well
Yeah we don't want them, but people will still post them thinking they are fixed location, or just not paying attention.

Quote:
I think that is one major source of confusion. What are the guidelines to choose whether to use one icon type or another, now that there are so many types.
Common sense mostly, but we can try to make the names on the site more, well, descriptive.

Quote:
What's the difference between a "Door" and a "Zone" type?
Actually I thought that ZONE was a deprecated type, i.e. users cannot select it. But you are right they can. I think we should change that, we don't need more than one type for this. I'll discuss with jnils.

As jnils mentioned we import SOE's POIs and the problem is there is no apparent difference between the door and zone. SOE's instace zone-in POIs come as both "door" and "zone" types. We haven't yet figured out any pattern to this distinction.

Quote:
Some examples of possible simplification would be... Change the green/red doors to be "Zone" and "Instance" respectively.
For the reason mentioned above the "official" POIs are problematic in this respect. But does the distinction really matter? If you think it does your system is good though.

Quote:
Another one is the bevy of quest start/update options... which become an issue for NPCs that both offer and update quests.
multitype POIs are a real issue, I'm more and more starting to think that we need to allow users to assign multiple types to a POI.

Quote:
I think the descriptions for those are pretty well done, but I think there might be a more simpler way if the submit page defaulted to a simpler one that asked questions to determine the type.
I like that, but probably only as an option. Experienced users may prefer the dropdown since it will be faster for them.

Quote:
I could probably whip up a demonstration of what I mean this weekend on my personal site.

Let me know your thoughts on that, folks. I willing to back my suggestions with code, and discuss this stuff further =)
Sounds great, thanks. I think we'll have to discuss not only to make you a mod but also to let you work on the frontend. Keep in mind that the pages should still work from the ingame browser though.

Last edited by gm9 : 12-09-2008 at 11:07 AM.