View Single Post
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:32 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQAditu View Post
As far as I could see, I was the first to release a raid mod with healing buttons on them... then I even added priest detection scripting. I was proud at the thanks I got for my first real foray into UI modding. I didn't really know why no one else had released such a thing, so I thought I was being "clever".
I guess that was being clever insofar as seeing the need for it. While I had click to cure, I didn't have the raid window buttons before because it was nothing I personally was missing from my UI (and I actually never used the buttons I added to ProfitUI when I was still playing, but people love them, so clearly it was clever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQAditu View Post
I didn't think that there was some sort of secret understanding of modders to never attempt something like this. (Don't give me that face, you know what I mean.) I feel sort of stupid for having passed that line where there was an understanding somewhere to not pass.
Nothing secret about it, it's just that most of us saw the problem with it. I discussed the topic in PMs with several of the modders during my time here, in particular when I was new. I know that there are some mods on here that could have gone much further in their coding but the author chose not to. Or, as you heard from Landiin above, while he personally doesn't mind, he didn't want to face the public reaction and did not release it for that reason alone. However, back in the day I even caught heat from some people for the click to cure buttons on the group window, you will always get that.

I release the stuff I am ok with, the rest I won't, that's my personal decision on which tools I want to make available to my users (e.g. I won't even add auto-loot because I don't want tens of thousands of my users potentially going around ninja looting no-trade loot and making lame excuses that they forgot to turn the function off in their UI - but again that's just me, several people have released it). Unless there is an official response that using auto-cure is against the EULA it will remain your decision alone what you want to release/what you want people using.

I wouldn't want to worry too much about botters however. I don't think they need your interface mods to automate their gameplay.