EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > ProfitUI

Unread 01-04-2016, 11:26 AM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Beta 1
Default Who has the Copyright of Profit Reborn ?

The last Update for ProfitUI was on November 2014 ...

Because i played EQ2 now again and love this UI, and there is no more Updates for it, i wrote some Updates by myself.

This means Display for Fervor, Deity Points on XP List and much more. in Short, its now have Terror of Thalumbra functionality.

In the Moment i have give this Change only to my Guild and my Raidcom on Server Valor, also not much PPL, because i not sure about the Changes i made.

But i willing to share this with the Rest of the World, bacuase its for me the Best UI for EQ2.

Perfect where when the New Files are on the Updater, but which Person i need to contact for it ? And its ok when i give the Updates to everyone ?
Unread 01-04-2016, 12:42 PM
A Grizzled Badger

Server: Everfrost
Question For updated files try posting the question here.

Try posting this question on the profitUI forum found here.

http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=41

If that fails you can probably zip the affected files and post them as a mod. I haven't seen anyone actually claim copyrights to stuff on here but I could be wrong.

I know I would like to see the mods as I have been working on the same thing myself.

Regards Mao
Unread 01-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Server: Butcherblock

Considering how many times ProfitUI has been resurrected, and considering it is all based on the work of the EverQuest II team, I would be shocked if there was an enforceable copyright. I see no reason to worry about that, but plenty of reason to worry about the future of ProfitUI. Just look at the ProfitUI forum. It's chaos. There's no link to download the current ProfitUI.

There is a smattering of updates for ProfitUI Reborn in these two threads, but no unified download package or continuously updated thread with the latest information. The way it is now, ProfitUI is just dying on the vine. Something you have to cobble together and read 50 threads to keep running means only diehards will mess with it.

Last edited by feldon30 : 01-04-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Unread 01-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maozem View Post
Try posting this question on the profitUI forum found here.

http://www.eq2interface.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=41
Unless the post was quickly moved, that's where he posted it.
Unread 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I agree that there is probably no reason to worry about copyright issues with ProfitUI. The real issues are practical ones.

No one is officially maintaining the code. The people who know how to send files to the update server are not active and have not passed on that knowledge to those of us who still are active. People can still post links to files that have been updated, but there is no obvious way to integrate those into the official build.

I have done what I can to encourage others to post updated files and I remain available to test proposed fixes, but my medical issues sharply limit the time and energy I have to work on the project. I am not a coder and I don't have the resources to become one now. I do still want to try and have one thread that collects all references to updated files in one place so people can find them without having to rummage all over. And if someone could tell me how to get files to the updater site, I could deal with managing that.

I will continue to use ProfitUI as long as I can and I will do what I can to help keep it going. But I agree that the project will die at some point if we don't find answers to the issues I've mentioned. That would be sad.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 01-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

If we do not have the information for the official ProfitUI Updater, then we won't be able to go down that avenue. A file repository could be setup to post a complete copy of the latest version of ProfitUI.
Unread 01-05-2016, 11:25 AM
A Griffon

A file repository would be very helpful. Even if we don't have access to the automated updater, we could maintain some sanity by having a single known place to get the latest files.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM
A Dervish Cutthroat

Server: Antonia Bayle

I too love this UI and have used it for years. On the updater page to download it, the second link with all the supposed files, is 404'd.

As I am trying to set up a new PC with the UI, this is not helpful, I have not tried to load the updater itself yet.
Unread 01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
A Sea Turtle

Server: Beta 1

That no anwers my Question

I think i wait until the Weekend and when i got no answer, i will post the new Files in a new Thread.

Dying or not dying ... i have tried most the the other UI, but the best is Profit.

So lets wait and see if we can revive ProfitUi.
Unread 01-07-2016, 12:07 PM
A Griffon

I created a thread back in November for that purpose. Please use this thread to upload new files. And thank you for your help. Every contribution helps us keep Profit going.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 01-15-2016, 07:37 AM
gm10-1
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Super Mod
Featured

Hi everyone. While author's rights remain with the respective content creators it is perfectly fine posting patches and updates to someone else's work as long as it is within the context of this site.

I do not know who, if anyone, is currently feeling responsible for the mod but I do know that the updater is hosted by Kaldran, maybe try and send him a private message if you feel like taking up the reigns for maintaining the mod.

If you can live without the updater you can of course also just submit patches via EQ2Interface's standard upload functionality or by collecting small fixes on the forums like you seem to have been doing.
Unread 01-16-2016, 12:28 AM
A Griffon

I will try to get in touch with Kaldran to see if I can arrange a way for updated files to get sent to the updater host. If we can get over that hurdle, it won't much matter who is fixing things as long as the fixes get published. So far it looks like we have people willing to dive in and make the changes we need to keep Profit running. The missing puzzle piece is getting patched files to the updater so that fixes get pushed. If I can get that part figured out, then we should be in good shape.

-= Therendil =-
Unread 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

(popping back in for a moment)

I was mostly mailing updates to Kaldran to post, and I recall there was an upload option in the updater as well (Kaldran would be the one to talk to about that). The usual hurdle is getting a copy of the complete file tree the updater server uses, not just what's downloaded. There's some metadata XML files and the zipfiles for alternatives that're needed. I think you can find the tree at https://updater.pala.de/new/profitui/ but I'm not positive that's current and I don't recall the link to have it all zipped up for convenient transfer. I still have the Subversion repository containing everything at the point I handed maintenance back to TalTal, but it's 15 months out-of-date at this point.

I don't have the free time available to maintain it, nor the machine (the desktop's a Linux workstation, and EQ2 in Virtualbox flickers bad enough to give me migraines), but I'm willing to provide files and any information I have. Email's the best way to contact me:

Todd Knarr <[email protected]>
Unread 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM
A Griffon

Thanks for that info, and for being willing to help as much as you can. At least I have a better idea how the overall process works now.

I\ll see what I can do to verify the file tree information. I figured there had to be some sort of BoM for the updater to use. If I can get a grip on that detail, we may be able to resume adding patched files to the build. We seem to have plenty of people willing and able to do the actual coding, so I can focus on keeping track of what's being done and (I hope) get things pushed to the update site.

I am short of time and energy these days, but at least I have systems to work with. I was able to afford a new desktop system a few months back and I have set up the old one with a completely stock UI for comparison purposes. That box isn't powerful for day-to-day gaming, but it's just fine for testing the UI.

I've noticed that ProfitUI gets a slightly changed name each time there is a big change in who maintains it. I am resisting the urge to suggest the name "ProfitUI (I'm not dead yet!)"

-= Therendil =-
Unread 02-10-2016, 10:18 AM
A Griffon

It occurs to me that I ought to provide an e-mail address so people have a totally out-of-channel way to contact me if needed. For that purpose, please use this one: Bill Kubeck [email protected]

-= Therendil =-
Unread 02-10-2016, 11:35 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle

How about (Son of) ProfitUI?
Unread 02-10-2016, 01:24 PM
A Griffon

Server: Unrest

When I did patches by mailing them in, it was just a zip of the files that'd changed in a tree starting at the top level of the tree at the URL I gave. If changes hit variants, the entire variant including files that hadn't changed had to be zipped up and included in the patch zipfile.

I'm not sure what the update folder in the top level is for, but it looks like it's not something you'd have to worry about for the UI.