EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > EQ2MAP

Unread 02-07-2005, 10:11 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Neriak
Default POI Search Function

I realize that this is very likely not possible right now, and probably won't be for some time, but here it is regardless.

The ability to search for a particular POI on a map or on all available maps would be very useful. Perhaps a seperate tab, or a text box on the current map tab itself. This would allow a player to enter the name of a needed quest NPC, for example, and have that POI highlighted by either blinking the icon, or perhaps adding a blinking star behind the icon, whatever.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
A Griffon
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Right now I can't think of any way this would be possible aside from indexing all the POIs in a... ok nevermind, it really isn't doable in any form that I know of right now.

Quib
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Server: Antonia Bayle

Hm...just a theory here, and I don't know how possible it is, but...

What if you added grid notation to the map window (like on a paper map where letters run across one axis and numbers another and you can referenc general areas by a letter/number location.) Once you had this ability to reference areas on the map easily you could mod the Inventory.HTML window to do a simple HTML/JavaScript search for the quest/npc/mob/whatever and return the map name and grid reference. Not exactly what Killarny was asking for, but it's the only way I can think of to even come close to it.

Edit: the down-side being, other than an added graphical mod to the map frame, that you'd have to maintain two PoI lists, which would seriously complicate things and increase the risk of one or the other being out of sync.

Edit2: Editted for clarity...I hope.

Really bad ASCII art example:

Code:
 A B C D E F G H
3            ^
4      x
Say I search for the 'x', the Inventory.HTML window would return Commonlands (East) D4, while the '^' would return Commonlands (East) G3 and so on.

Last edited by ger : 02-07-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:43 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

if that were the case, I could write a prog to keep the two in sync. Though I dont get what youre saying, if quib does and likes it though...
Unread 02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
A Griffon

Server: Neriak

I don't understand why you would need two databases.. couldn't you parse the map XML with an HTML engine? Unless the ingame one is only a very simple HTML engine, it should have XHTML support, which can read XML - so you should be able to use the exact same data..
Unread 02-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killarny
I don't understand why you would need two databases.. couldn't you parse the map XML with an HTML engine? Unless the ingame one is only a very simple HTML engine, it should have XHTML support, which can read XML - so you should be able to use the exact same data..
You might be able to, I'm honestly not sure exactly how complicated the in-game HTML function can be. I know it doesn't handle gry-online or eq2interface or google correctly, for starters. But like I said, it was the only way I could think of to even come close to doing what you were suggesting.
Unread 02-08-2005, 12:18 AM
A Griffon

You guys are misunderstanding EQ2 UI XML. It's not internet XML, nor can EQ2 do basic HTML stuff (aside from the gimpy HTML window). This XML was just a handy format to keep size, location and graphical settings for UI objects, so it didn't all have to be hard-coded in executable code. The OnEvents allow us to basically run in-game slash commands or change UI object values, but there's no way for us to search through any information in any format; the only searching in the UI is hard-coded into the window (like when visitng an apartment or searching the market). We can't use HTML, can't use JavaScript, nothing.

Edit: I did misread some of the references to the HTML window. Regardless, it can barely handle basic HTML.

Quib
Unread 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM
EQ2MAP Webmaster

Server: Unkown
Send a message via Skype™ to Eloa

Shortly, you will be able to search for POI's on the EQ2MAP site.
Unread 02-13-2005, 08:27 PM
Steward of the Faithful

Yay! Go Eloa! I tested the code I'd had in mind with my earlier sugestion, and as Quib said, no go…so it looks like for now out-of-game is the only way to do it.