EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Developer Discussion > UI Developer Discussion

Unread 06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Advice Needed from All You Uber Modders

I know squat about XML. I've played with UI Builder. I am wanting to create my own UI. What advice would you Uber Modders out there have for someone like me?

Do I need to learn everything about XML coding before I bother to start, or can it be done without knowing anything about XML?

Do I have to use UI Builder, or is there a more competent program out there that does the same thing?

Do I need to use any kind of UI Builder, or can I code in XML only?

What are some of the programs that you Uber Modders use for tweaking and stuff?

Where do I start?

Enquiring Noob Modders (ME ME ME!) want to know

Arre
Unread 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Bacon Eater
Premium Member
EQ2Interface Admin
This person is a EQ2Map developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arremis
I know squat about XML. I've played with UI Builder. I am wanting to create my own UI. What advice would you Uber Modders out there have for someone like me?

Do I need to learn everything about XML coding before I bother to start, or can it be done without knowing anything about XML?
You need to have a good understanding of programming and how XML is used. I would set small goals and work from there, look at examples of other peoples interfaces and compare that with the defaul xml and you should be able to get some understanding on how it works.

Quote:
Do I have to use UI Builder, or is there a more competent program out there that does the same thing?
The UIBuilder helps alot if your going to be changeing alot of the graphics. If you havent already checked it out you can get a small taste on how it works here. I had to sit down with the tool for a couple hours before things started making sense. There is no other tool out like this for the eq2 interface.

Quote:
Do I need to use any kind of UI Builder, or can I code in XML only?
Well XML is a meta language basicly meaning that SOE decides what the tags mean. So you'll want to either use your favorite text editor or the EQ2 UI Builder by SOE.

Quote:
What are some of the programs that you Uber Modders use for tweaking and stuff?
I use editplus (a basic text editor), UI Builder, and for graphics I use adobe photoshop with the dds plugin explain in the graphic development faq.

Quote:
Where do I start?
Like I said start small, set a goal to change the color of something or add a line of text to something and tinker until you figure it out. Grab one of the interface peices from the download area and see how the author made it. Also then when you get stuck you can post here explaining what you did showing the code and then asking why its not working and others can give you tips. etc.

Last edited by Dolby : 06-22-2006 at 01:28 PM.
Unread 06-23-2006, 10:38 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Server: Antonia Bayle

Awesome thanks very much Dolby. I'm sure future newbie modders will benefit from your wisdom and expertise

Arre