EQ2Interface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   EQ2Interface > Featured Projects > DarqUI

Unread 07-24-2021, 07:35 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Server: Antonia Bayle
Default Using DarqUI Unified on Linux?

I appreciate there was a question in June about using DarqUI on Linux without the installer but I am wondering what is needed to actually get the Updater to work properly?

Since it does seem that there are Linux versions of .NET 4.x and we have Wine, what stumbling blocks have there been in the past when folks have tried this?

I should add I am not an expert in Linux - I am merely considering a move from Windows since my desktop is not on the supported list for Win11. I will be considering a move to a distro dependent on Ubuntu.

I am aware that the Steam version of EQ2 itself works fine but I am not wanting to lose access to DarqUI and the convenience of having a tool to check for updates.
Unread 07-25-2021, 07:09 AM
A Griffon
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I'm working with a Darq Side member right now who is using DarqUI on EQII on Steam on Linux. He is getting updates through the utility without any trouble. At this point his only unresolved issue is an error when changing color themes and fonts, but he is able to copy files manually through the OS to make theme changes.

The good news is that Microsoft says Windows 10 will be supported officially through October 2025, and they usually extend security support for a couple of years beyond an OS version's end-of-life date. So we should have plenty of time to migrate.

Unread 07-25-2021, 07:48 AM
A Young Mystail Rat

Thank you for letting me know the app should function under Linux. That is one more item ticked off the list before I move over.

If I have difficulty getting it working I will pop back in and ask.
Unread 11-25-2021, 03:01 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqwood View Post
I'm working with a Darq Side member right now who is using DarqUI on EQII on Steam on Linux. He is getting updates through the utility without any trouble. At this point his only unresolved issue is an error when changing color themes and fonts, but he is able to copy files manually through the OS to make theme changes.

The good news is that Microsoft says Windows 10 will be supported officially through October 2025, and they usually extend security support for a couple of years beyond an OS version's end-of-life date. So we should have plenty of time to migrate.

Would you by chance know the steps that where taken to install and get the UI to work on Linux through Steam? I do not see a post here about HOW to get this UI working on LInux and to run through Steam, but if I missed it please point it out.
Unread 11-26-2021, 07:52 AM
A Griffon

I would love to be able to offer a guidance page for installing EQII and DarqUI on Linux, but there are so many combinations of PC specs, Linux, Wine, etc. that it seems like each install is unique. Players I have spoken with have had varying success with Ubuntu, Fedora, POP!_OS, Winetricks, Lutris, PlayOnLinux, the list goes on. But never two installations with the same combination. I sent you a PM on this website with something you might want to try.

Unread 11-26-2021, 02:48 PM
A Brown Bear

Quote:
I would love to be able to offer a guidance page for installing EQII and DarqUI on Linux, but there are so many combinations of PC specs, Linux, Wine, etc. that it seems like each install is unique. Players I have spoken with have had varying success with Ubuntu, Fedora, POP!_OS, Winetricks, Lutris, PlayOnLinux, the list goes on. But never two installations with the same combination. I sent you a PM on this website with something you might want to try.

Makes since. I will take a look at the website you sent me.
Unread 11-27-2021, 01:24 PM
A Coastal Crab

Server: Unkown

Quote:

After having tried multiple distros and playing Everquest 2 on all of them, and getting the UI installed each time.

The easiest way is to use Lutris, then using the wine prefix where you have installed EQ2, you just launch the DarqUI Unified executable file, and select the correct folder as per usual.

Then you can launch the specific executable each time you wanna do changes or update.

there's only one thing which do not work, which is to activate the patreon features.
Unread 11-27-2021, 02:23 PM
A Griffon

That's good information, thank you dreameh! If I can get past this expansion I'm looking forward to getting back to my Linux experiments. We have some great Linux EQ2'ers in the Darq Side chat (including you) who have patiently walked through their configurations with me. Hopefully we can get to a combination using Lutris that will work for most. Don't worry about the premium key, I have a feeling I know exactly what the issue is from previous experience. Will talk with you about it. Thanks!

Unread 08-17-2022, 06:14 PM
A Coastal Crab

Quote:

Could you send me that info too? Thanks in advance
Unread 08-19-2022, 07:08 AM
A Griffon

Message sent!